Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Google update... going after EMD's

Discussion in 'SEO Search Engine Optimisation' started by JMOT, Sep 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMOT

JMOT Active Member

2. retired_member36

retired_member36 Retired Member

Hmmm,

More stress then :S ,

I cant open the page as im working (Filters dont like it), Will need to read it later.

Quick question, Has this already happened or it it happening soon??

3. JMOT

JMOT Active Member

Matt Cutts tweets

"Minor weather report: small upcoming Google algo change will reduce low-quality “exact-match” domains in search results."

"New exact-match domain (EMD) algo affects 0.6% of English-US queries to a noticeable degree. Unrelated to Panda/Penguin."

So its English US queries... eg test and roll out.

4. retired_member36

retired_member36 Retired Member

Ive done some searches for keywords ive been keeping an eye on and ive seen some sites (not mine) have moved, some completely gone who were ranking well for exact match.

5. murph United Kingdom

murph Well-Known Member

Checking g.com don't think it's happened yet

6. martin-s United Kingdom

martin-s Well-Known Member

Thanks for alerting us to this. I've trimmed 12 borderline names off my catch list for the month in preparation.

Shouldn't have convinced myself to go for them in the first place really!

Edit: It'll be interesting to see if they go for word count or length in general.

7. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

How ironic, they give you an "[exact]" checkbox on the Google Keyword Tool to show you search volumes for an EM and then penalise EMD domains.... :confused:

Admin

8. anthony United Kingdom

anthony Well-Known Member

You've got to understand their logic though, an EMD is no assurance of a good site!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  9. Jamie101 Ireland

Jamie101 Well-Known Member

Ouch.

I don't know what to say right now, came on here to see if there was an algo change because a few sites that I've been working on have dropped massively.

This is what I hate about affiliate marketing. One day you could be making a fortune and the next day you could be making absolutely nothing. At least if you owned a shop or whatever you'd start making less money on a daily basis etc. but you wouldn't see a massive change within a day or so!

Edit - The sites that I'm talking about are all UK targeted sites and were ranking fine a few hours ago. Now it's a completely different story.

10. Stas France

Stas Active Member

Think this update is to stop people relying on exact match domains but there's no logic to it. Zero quality holding pages like dailydeals.co.uk are still there

11. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

From early reports, it looks to have taken out a fair few exact match domains with plenty of backlinks, and devalued many others etc. Bye bye exact match bonus.
    Edit: my horseracingtips.org.uk site has taken a bit of a battering but others haven't. Maybe I can rectify this. It has lots of links. All legit.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  12. Aiden Roberts

Aiden Roberts Well-Known Member

I always think Matt Cutts talks in riddles. If the serps are cleaned of 1 page emd no value sites then it's a good thing. It has been said for some time now that a site must add value to the reader and if that's what this update is about then good. Those of us who are trying to do the job properly and for the long term will hopefully benefit from it.

I have checked some of mine and they are nowhere to be found, these where on P1 of G, although it's a pain it's right they have gone as it's the kick up the arse I needed to either take them down or put some effort in and make them useful rather than thin (quick buck) type of sites.

What is sad is that my PIP site has been on page 1 for over 12 months but has also gone, this is not a thin site has very useful content, no unnatural links and gets updated. The EMD seems to have hurt this big time?

13. kate-brownhill United States

kate-brownhill Active Member

No change on any of ours.... Yet.

14. JMOT

JMOT Active Member

15. boxfish United Kingdom

boxfish Well-Known Member

The Google Keyword Tool is a tool designed for Adwords advertisers to research and calculate budgets for their Adwords campaign - it has nothing to do with EMDs

It may also be worth pointing out that the CPC stated is how much it is likely to cost the advertiser if they get a click from the results page of Google, they can set a completely different budget for the clicks they get from Adsense advertisers.

16. cc976a United Kingdom

cc976a Well-Known Member

My largest site - not an EMD - but keywords in domain has been high in the SERPs for 12 months has vanished

Has been replaced with .com.au, .dk and .se sites all with an EMD - wtf?!?!

Hope they start making alterations as they did with Panda / Penguin. This was in no means a low quality site. Professionally designed, pages on pages of unique well written quality content (that people read!), and lots of social awareness with YouTube videos with thousands of plays - and wasn't' a crappy MFA or parked page....

....here's waiting!

17. JMOT

JMOT Active Member

BTW.. in case anyone thinks i'm revelling in being a doom monger etc etc I'm not.

IMHO...

This will be a massive blow for domain sales depending how hard Giggle turns the dial.

Affiliates who were basically whiter than white as far as SEO goes who survived Penguin or... were basically clueless about how to SEO in an aggressive niche who relied upon their EMD's to see them thru... You'd better hold off any large lifestyle purchases and start working out how to do better business online.

The one saving grace for anyone with a good EMD that didnt get Penguined is that you still have a relatively blank canvas to build a business on. You just got to start doing it properly if you get nailed in this.

However I'd imagine with this twist of the knife G should release their GWMT link disavow tool for Penguined WM's to clean up their links.

This hand giveth...other hand taketh awaaaaaaaaay......

On edit:

This could also send values of all non .com and .co.uk domains right down the toilet...even further than they are already lol (enter left side Edwin :))

18. JMOT

JMOT Active Member

Exactly. Thats why I chimed in on Edwins hyphenated EMD thread saying it was bullshit :rolleyes:

19. murph United Kingdom

murph Well-Known Member

Are these actually penalties or just EMD bonus removed?

20. boxfish United Kingdom

boxfish Well-Known Member

I would say just the bonus removed as some I have seen have just dropped down a page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.