20i hosting

Hi Names.of.London here

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Names.of.London, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Names.of.London

Names.of.London Member Acorn Supporter

Names.of.London is a domain registry that sells domain names that make short natural language phrases under the brand Phrases.for.Sale.

Names.of.London is run by me - James Stevens, before that I was CTO at dot-IO for ten years.

We buy mostly newGTLD domains that can be used to make three words natural language phrases and run them as a standard registry. You can use external name servers in the normal way, we can host your domain's DNS or we offer a range of web & mail forwarding options for your domain.

We have two dot-LONDON domains - of.london & in.london - e.g. City.of.London, Mayor.of.London, Flats.in.London, Living.in.London, Made.in.London etc, but our most popular domain is FOR.SALE

You can DM me on Twitter @NamesOfLondon or linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/james-r-c-stevens/ or we have a webchat in the site that operates during UK office hours.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

With the multiple posts you've made with numerous links, it looks very much like Spam.of.London

4. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

You're selling subdomains of a domain name you own, not "domain names". At least have the decency to call them what they are when you're spamming the forums.

6. Names.of.London

Names.of.London Member Acorn Supporter

All domains, except the ROOT domain, are delegated sub-domains.

"names.of.london" or "land.for.sale" are technically identical to "ibm.co.uk" or "copyright.org.au"

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Do you own/run the .london extension?

8. Edwin

Fantastic. Please tell me more about how the domain industry works. I’ve only been involved with it since 1996, so I’m keen to learn...

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. websaway United Kingdom

websaway Well-Known Member

Good luck with that. Have you done your homework ? I don't mean just that which suits your objective, I mean really done your homework.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  10. BREWSTERS United Kingdom

BREWSTERS Well-Known Member

At the risk of being a pedant, names.of.london is the same as names.of.co.uk - but I'm with you on the gist.

11. ausername United Kingdom

ausername Member

I personally think this is a terrible concept. I hope this venture doesn't prove too expensive / you can afford to lose whatever you have invested or continue to invest.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 10:24 AM
  12. ausername United Kingdom

ausername Member

Like noticing that Dot London Domains Limited reported turnover almost halving year-on-year in their last set of accounts.

Have to be crazy to invest in that extension when it looks like they lost half of their business in a 12 month period. Its effectively a matter of public record that the extension is failing.

13. ausername United Kingdom

ausername Member

Where does it end by the way?....

2bed.flats.in.london

or how about....

cheap.1stfloor.2bed.flats.in.north.london

All feels a bit backwards to me, like something from 1991.

Although if somebody registers idiots.in.london, points it to a tumblr blog and posts photos of stupid hipsters they spot in shoreditch.... I'll cover their reg fee for a year.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 10:33 AM
  14. ausername United Kingdom

ausername Member

Radio test:

"made dot in dot london"

"made in london dot com"

Saying dot twice? Does that really work?

15. Edwin

I saw a .yoga domain on a sign outside a home in Norwich the other day. First time I'd seen that extension in the wild.

I can't imagine many people would even have thought it was meant to be a web address since the sign just read "something.yoga" (I forget what the "something" was - it wasn't anything very obvious) in a fancy font, with no further detail. If they thought about it at all, they would likely have assumed it was an attempt to make a logo more "cool" by embedding a full stop in it.

The ridiculous thing is I'm 99% sure that "something.co.uk" would have been available (or maybe even "something.com" - and certainly "somethingyoga.com"). As I say, the "something" was neither memorable nor a generic word, more like the unusual name of somebody.

(If anyone drives the Ipswich road in Norwich, it was nearish a Shell garage. Yeah, pretty vague I know...)

16. RobM

A bank I use here has gone to the .bank extension. To me it says they can't afford a decent extension and makes me doubt their reliability considering the new extensions are tanking. I will be closing all accounts with them - I'm sure I can't be the only one who doesn't have confidence in businesses based on the new extensions.

17. martin-s United Kingdom

martin-s Well-Known Member

Are you sure it wasn't Yopa? :D

18. wonder_lander United Kingdom

wonder_lander Active Member Full Member

It's more understandable with the little guy who goes along to 123-reg and types something in and is returned a list of available names. As you say it's a no no for big business. They will have had project team from all areas of the business and someone should have said that's a poor idea and shot it down! It just doesn't make sense if the general public don't know that .bank is an extension!

I know of nobody outside of the domain name / marketing / SEO / digital marketing world who would know about the .bank extension. The general public are oblivious!

19. RobM

What makes it worse is that is now their *only* internet presence. Scary considering we weren't informed until after they had made the change.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. wonder_lander United Kingdom

wonder_lander Active Member Full Member

How can big business be so stupid......oh yes, remember the 2008 financial crisis, banks are good at spotting a sure thing! :D

21. RobM

I'm guessing your bank hasn't made such a backward move ;) I suppose if the bank fails people will be happy to bail it out - they have done in the past. That's the only 'sure thing'.