Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

How to close a 123-reg account?

Discussion in 'Domain Name Registrars' started by Systreg, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how to delete an old 123-reg account?

I can't see anything about how to do so in their help/support pages, the account is unused, I've not logged in to it since I got my own tag, I just logged in and cleared all my personal details apart from the email address, but would prefer if the account was permanently deleted.

2. Systreg

After trawling through Google searching for how to close a 123-reg account, finally found a pdf which says:

http://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/cr...-account-administration-and-billing-guide.pdf

Not much good to me as I was in England when I opened the account, and I can't phone 0845 number from overseas, not that I would call it from England anyway.

Think I'll have to email that Richard Winslow who works there, off to find his email addy on the forum.

3. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

They make canceling anything as annoying as possible I think so that people can't be bothered and give up.

4. Systreg

Just sent them a support ticket, no doubt they'll want something faxing, they'll be out of luck, I don't have access to a fax, nor do I own a scanner to get anything on a computer to send.

Found this post by Richard Winslow where he says why they like a phone call with regards to cancelling hosting:

http://forums.thedigitalfix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604899

Maybe it's just me, but if I was to phone any company about closing something or other, the first thing I'd say is, I want to close my account, I ain't interested in having a chat so don't ask me why I'm leaving, don't ask me for feedback and don't try to retain me, I'm not phoning for waffle about being retained, I'm phoning to close, simple.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  5. Systreg

Well that was quick, 123 support must be working late, already had an email reply:

Except I can't do that as my login details no longer work :), in my support ticket I asked them to confirm the account deletion by email, maybe that email is on it's way, or maybe not, to check my account I did a forgot password test where I entered my email address to see if it would recognise it, and was greeted by this message:

Oh, the phone call thing again, funny :lol:

6. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Try this number ... 0113 212 3182 (google-fu).

7. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

You can call an 0845 number through Skype.

It's weird security-wise that they want to do it on the phone, because how do they KNOW the caller is who they say they are, and not some imposter?

8. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Well-Known Member

Ah, that's easy as you never get hoax phone calls, only hoax facebook messages, hoax tweets and hoax emails :)

I had an interesting conversation a long time back trying to cancel my virgin phone line, I explained that I had no password setup, had no paperwork asking me to set a password AND if they checked the caller line identification they would see that I was calling on the line I wanted cancelled, perhaps they thought I'd broken in to a random house and decided to cancel the phone rather than rob the householder or trash the place, I guess it could happen :)

9. Systreg

Had to Google (Google-fu) lol

I only have Skype messenger after being forced by MSN messenger to upgrade to it, as they use that now, but I don't have any way to make Skype phone calls as that requires microphone and headphones which i don't have, I wouldn't make a call on Skype anyway, I don't trust things like that.

Still no email confirmation about my 123-reg account being closed, maybe they're phoning the old number in the UK on my account which no longer exists.

@ Monaghan, I had an interesting one once, I wanted to do some housekeeping in my account with regards to a domain/s I had sold, and wanted them removed from my account domain list, it was something like that anyway. I was asked for some information that would confirm who I was before they would do it, I told them that if I was a hacker I could clearly see that required information in my account as I was sending the support ticket from it, all very silly :)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  10. webfusion United Kingdom

webfusion 123-Reg Staff

Hello Systreg,

My name is James and I work for 123-reg.

I understand that you are enquiring about cancelling your account with 123-reg. I can see that you mentioned that you entered your email address and received a message that your account was suspended. This is most probably because the account has been closed.

If you would like me to confirm this, please email me at [email protected] with your email address so I can verify this for you

Kind Regards
    James

11. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

When I closed a hosting service with them they made me have to call them to do it, they said it was a security feature..

The only questions I was asked for security was information sent to me in an email when I tried to close the account, so If I was someone who had hacked the email address trying to close the account, ringing made no difference.

Systreg you said they say it's for customer feedback, they didn't ask me anything about why I wanted to close it.

12. Systreg

Mad ain't it, seriously low levels of security, asking you for things that are right there in front of your eyes, or things you can see in the account and confirm if you were a hacker, crazy.

@ James, just sent you an email, thanks.

13. Systreg

Just to update that James from 123-reg has replied to my email:

It's nice to have a clear out of unused services, I recently closed multiple email accounts I no longer use as well.

14. MikeJDS

MikeJDS Guest

I closed my account over a year ago - After I think 3 attempts.

They eventually confirmed the account was deactivated.
    What they really mean is, I can no longer login.
    I still get emails from the account every week. (how does that work then?)

Unfortunately I left a handful of domains at 123-reg that I had overlooked.
    I think there is probably only one of them that I want, but wouldn't be at all suprised if they all get renewed when the time comes.

Best of luck
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.