Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

ideas??

cart-before-horse-slice-scaled500.jpg

Helpful advice a credit to the forum

Maybe a pun but reasons behind it??

I thought your aim was to make money? how are you possibly going to make any money from a website about British metal bands?

I shouldn't need to ask this question, this should be a question you're asking yourself and if you had you wouldn't have suggested it

How about recycling something like old sofas?

Millions of tons of furniture is thrown away each year, including a lot of sofas, many of which are still in good condition, but can't be sold on as owners have cut off their fire safety labels, or they've faded or fallen off over time.

The British Heart Foundation alone recycled 185,000 sofas in 2018.

Bulky items like sofas are hard to dispose off, or cost a bit to have taken away, and people end up dumping them in the streets rather than paying to dispose of them. You could collect them for free in your van to take back to your building for dismantling, or for a small £5- £10 fee to cover fuel costs.

Whilst a sofa may not conform to fire safety standards if it no longer has a fire safety label on it, it can be stripped down to it's wooden carcass, which can be painted/varnished to make a usable piece of garden furniture to sell.

Last edited:
I thought your aim was to make money? how are you possibly going to make any money from a website about British metal bands?

I shouldn't need to ask this question, this should be a question you're asking yourself and if you had you wouldn't have suggested it

Like I said, I don't know how to find traffic for keywords but I would have thought British metal bands like iron maiden for example would get a few searches, a basic site with a good general knowledge of a few bands some good links and maybe a link to amazon or such like for memorabilia, vinyl, ticket sales etc.

That was my idea

How about recycling something like old sofas?

Millions of tons of furniture is thrown away each year, including a lot of sofas, many of which are still in good condition, but can't be sold on as owners have cut off their fire safety labels, or they've faded or fallen off over time.

The British Heart Foundation alone recycled 185,000 sofas in 2018.

Bulky items like sofas are hard to dispose off, or cost a bit to have taken away, and people end up dumping them in the streets rather than paying to dispose of them. You could collect them for free in your van to take back to your building for dismantling, or for a small £5- £10 fee to cover fuel costs.

Whilst a sofa may not conform to fire safety standards if it no longer has a fire safety label on it, it can be stripped down to it's wooden carcass, which can be painted/varnished to make a usable piece of garden furniture to sell.

This is the kind of input I am looking for, I have done this as a business already unfortunately. I have a waste carrier liecence and did house clearances along with furniture referb and sales, the market is crowded and I found myself fighting for £50 jobs then a building full of furniture no body wanted so I moved on. Great idea though and thanks for the input

Helpful advice a credit to the forum

I do not believe you will find a tutorial or model to follow
If you did, I doubt you have the skills to recognise or exploit it
Setting a low target of £1 per day does not make it any more achievable
If you are not careful you will sink more time and resources into fruitless ventures

Actually, I would like you to succeed. You show initiative, are willing to make an effort, and there probably is a way for you to start a viable new business. But I think your approach is part of the problem, not a solution. Do you not see any relevance to the horse and cart analogy?

You need a Business Plan
A Business Plan is a written document that describes your core business objectives and how you plan to achieve them over a set period of time. It is designed to help you, and others, understand how you plan to generate money and make your business sustainable. A Business Plan often includes information about your goals, strategies, marketing and sales plans and financial forecasts.

A simple plan is better than no plan. Failing to plan is planning to fail.

If a business idea is not viable on paper, it is unlikely to work in practice.

I do not believe you will find a tutorial or model to follow
If you did, I doubt you have the skills to recognise or exploit it
Setting a low target of £1 per day does not make it any more achievable
If you are not careful you will sink more time and resources into fruitless ventures

Actually, I would like you to succeed. You show initiative, are willing to make an effort, and there probably is a way for you to start a viable new business. But I think your approach is part of the problem, not a solution. Do you not see any relevance to the horse and cart analogy?

You need a Business Plan
A Business Plan is a written document that describes your core business objectives and how you plan to achieve them over a set period of time. It is designed to help you, and others, understand how you plan to generate money and make your business sustainable. A Business Plan often includes information about your goals, strategies, marketing and sales plans and financial forecasts.

A simple plan is better than no plan. Failing to plan is planning to fail.

If a business idea is not viable on paper, it is unlikely to work in practice.

Thank you for the response, I have started several businesses in my working life (44 years old now) my current business has a decent turnover but due to the pandemic I can't work as I'm business to business and most businesses are closed.

I am always looking for new business ideas as I'm not happy with an hourly rate so any ideas would always be considered.

BUT

As I've got a lot of time on my hands and would like to learn a new skill, I set my sights low of £1 a day as I thought it could be some what realistic for a beginner, I have a media degree, hosting, various domains, plenty of cash available but would prefer not buy into something unless it's a domain with traffic.

I understood the don't run before you can walk but I didn't see this as a business plan just something to hide my time whilst being in lockdown.

Thanks again

Like I said, I don't know how to find traffic for keywords but I would have thought British metal bands like iron maiden for example would get a few searches, a basic site with a good general knowledge of a few bands some good links and maybe a link to amazon or such like for memorabilia, vinyl, ticket sales etc.

That was my idea

Here you go... serpstat figures for uk search for "british metal" brings up related searches

Attachments

• keywords_british_metal.pdf
    82.3 KB · Views: 150
If you want to build a niche site start with one that answers people's questions. What do you know that others are searching for - build a WordPress site and create a blog, write content to answer those questions. Create additional content around the same subject. Build content and credibility and the search engines and visitors will come.

If you can see opportunities in your niche for affiliate income or adsense all the better.

Unless you have money to buy a site with traffic, you need to be patient. It won't happen overnight.

For online keyword research tools - although most are speculative and are based on a small sample range multiplied up - you could try NeilPatel.com or Moz.com. These are speculative tools, as I've said, at best but at least they will give you a guide.

Get a half decent domain, build a WP site and start writing content. Be warned, its tough.

If you are time rich, learn something. Learn content marketing, learn SEO, learn social marketing. Learn things that can build up your knowledge to start a niche site properly. Also you could spend your time learning something and offer the skills you've learnt freelance, whatever they may be. Its generally a quicker route to income than a £1 a day site.

YouTube, as others have said, is a way to earn extra income if you can put together videos others want to watch. You could earn a small passive income but it's hugely competitive. There are stories of $40k for a million views on videos explaining Facebook Marketing but these are the lottery wins on YouTube, the truth is most videos won't earn at all.

If you're looking for a blueprint though you're not really going to find it. You won't build a site today and earn £1, £10 or £100 tomorrow. It takes time, patience and tons of persistence!

Last edited:
You sound like me. Im in the same boat. On the plus side I am currently in full time employment and earning good money and currently WFH. On the downside I need a good sideline to be able to earn the same money working for myself and I've been wracking my brains for years. If you want to springboard ideas then drop me a pm.
I get so fed up of people saying how easy ideas are and 'do something you are interested in'
I have a face for radio so you tube isn't for me :)

If you are an electrician can't you train in electrical repairs? I would of thought money was to be made buying/collecting broken equipment/applicances and reselling, and once quarantine is over you can even do onsite repairs between jobs. I am into design and screen printing and always seeing large format printers going for good money and a lot advertised as broken. That alone looks like good money. What about upcycling etc? Making lamps etc out of items? I think your electrical skills will be more marketable than a niche website initially, but you could expand into you tube videos doing the former suggestions. I just replaced the bearings on my tumble dryer on the back of a you tube video. Cost me less than a tenner for the bearing and a simple fix yet I bet many people throw out machines with this simple fault. And on the forecast of people financially struggling after covid, there will be a lot more buying second hand.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom