Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Is Bitcoin the Next Big Thing?

Discussion in 'Business Discussions' started by accelerator, Jun 2, 2015.

1. dee

dee Well-Known Member

Will be interesting to see if anything happens in a couple hours/tomorrow. BTC futures trading starts for the first time. Although only an hour available tonight I think and weekend spread so probably not tonight.

2. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

3. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Over 20% up in last 24 hours, sold half my btc to usd now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Congrats. Hope you have a beer as you contemplate your haul...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. ausername United Kingdom

ausername Retired Member

Probably wise, but do you have a number in mind RE: buying back in?

So if you had $100,000 BTC today, now have $50,000 in USD and $50,000 in BTC..... would the price halving when the bubble pops tempt you to buy back your BTC stake for $25,000, leaving you with the same number of bitcoin but $25k in permanently withdrawn cash, in anticipation of another bubble in the future?

Or do we think that this bubble is going to pop so hard that its going to scare a hell of a lot of Joe Public off permanently?

^^^ There's me talking about this definitely being a bubble, which means $17k is probably the new floor based on my BTC trading history :D

If this is a bubble, and there is a major contraction, I may take a little punt on 'buying in'. I'd personally consider a recovery in the Bitcoin price to be more likely than another LLLL.com mania in the near future.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  6. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

BTW I’ve seen some optimistic posts about Bitcoin, but this one takes the biscuit (actually, the full packet of hobnobs!)
    https://seekingalpha.com/article/4130926-bitcoin-reach-142000

I love how the writer “justifies” the crazy predictions in his 3rd model by basically saying “well, they’re much lower than models 1 and 2, so...”

7. ausername United Kingdom

ausername Retired Member

Wasn't btc-e based in Bulgaria before it was raided and shut down?

It came back under a different name, but don't think the bitcoin was ever returned? Coins related to that could be included in that number?

Nice boost for the public coffers of a country which sure needs some money, although you'd have to rely on the government not being corrupt for any of it to result in real infrastructure improvements.

8. ausername United Kingdom

ausername Retired Member

Bloody hell Edwin, I'm about to go to the shop on an empty stomach.... I know what I'll be coming out with now, trying to watch the waistline :D

9. ausername United Kingdom

ausername Retired Member

Had quite a scary email from somebody claiming to have a video of me masturbating on cam (taken through the camera on my PC) and demanding $350 in bitcoin for them to not publish it and send a link to all of my friends and relatives. Not Nigerian either, clearly written by somebody with an excellent command of the English language, university educated native English.

Might have been a bit scarier if not for one simple fact, I don't even have a webcam :D

Could imagine them getting quite a high success rate though, particularly from those who live in the type of communities where such things bring shame upon the family. My mates would find it hilarious and remind me of it every week for eternity, and my family would just say "meh, you did a lot worse at 15/16/17/18/19/20/21/22/23 (select any year)"

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

It’s not a boost unless they sell it.

If they try and sell US$3,000,000,000 worth it will be worth nothing.

I suppose they could flog the occasional coin here and there to pay for tea and cakes (see what I did there?) but there’s absolutely zero chance they would be able to dispose of the bulk of the asset in any sensible timeframe*.

(*unless they find somebody daft enough to take their holding off them off-market, thus preserving it in Bitcoin.)

11. ausername United Kingdom

ausername Retired Member

Didn't Ross Ulbricht's coins get sold off in bulk? Think somebody purchased 50000 in one go. Although that was when they were worth $48m, not $850m.

Still, you'd think $48m once every quarter would make a huge difference to a country like Bulgaria, assuming that the mafia aren't in government in which case they'd probably start dishing out the contracts where a mate gets a $25m contract to build a road worth $1m and the politicians get a $10m kickback, that's often how it works!

12. dee

dee Well-Known Member

If they'd been Nigerian it would have said

"we are calling from de wank"

• Like Like x 1
  13. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

For me a good scenario would be a 30-40% drop to 10-11k. I'd buy back in. Then I'd hope to be selling some permanently in Q1 2018 at a better price.

14. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member

Yes, I had that one too - ends up on a paid appraisal lander I think...

15. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

You could have replied: “Got $350 and a webcam to send me? I can send you a video in return...”

• Like Like x 1
  16. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

I wonder what's to stop a trader building up a position of a few thousand BTC piecemeal, split into many wallets, then taking out futures contracts betting against the price of Bitcoin, then dumping their position of actual Bitcoin in one fell swoop?

Until the futures came along yesterday, it didn't make sense for anyone to want to see the price of BTC drop (except perhaps for certain spread-betters). But now, with the option to bet against Bitcoin (in the form of futures) on the table there's incentive to encourage downward price movement as well as upward.

Added: that could be a way for any of the Bitcoin whales to have their cake and eat it too. They could take out (via various intermediaries) futures contracts betting on a fall in the price of Bitcoin, then dump their significant BTC holding and reap both the sales profits and the profits accruing from the "successful" futures bet.

(It's worth remembering that in other markets, the amounts being wagered on futures and other derivatives often far, far outweigh the size of the primary markets themselves.)

17. dee

dee Well-Known Member

Do you think it was really that one transaction that bunged up the system? I would have thought thats a miniscule amount on the grand scheme of things. I know its not as liquid as the forex market, but it wont last long if it grinds to a halt at that level.

On a side note, headed up to 17.5k today. Wow. Good skills all those with coins.

18. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

No, I don’t know for sure. But spend 10-15 minutes watching the exchanges on the ticker site, and you should see the same sort of hiccups I noticed. You may have a better explanation - I have zero inside knowledge...

19. dee

dee Well-Known Member

I dont really with bitcoin, so was was a genuine question. Although I think someone on a forex trading site mentioned one of the first futures purchases this morning was for 35 coins. Would seem it would implode pretty quickly if it did fall over so easily. I wonder how it will cope as the market get larger. Doesnt it take a while to confirm transactions on the ledger ? Guess it stops any scalping

20. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

The futures are traded on a separate market. They have nothing to do with the Bitcoin exchanges other than that they take their price cue from one of them.

It’s like cryptocoins such as Bitcoin are horses in a race, and the futures contracts are bets on a horse. You can have a hundred or a thousand or a million bets open on a horse yet their existence doesn’t influence the horse itself. (It doesn’t run faster just because more people are betting on it, nor can the existence of bets guarantee that the horse will stay healthy enough to race.)

It’s an imperfect analogy, but it gives an idea of why the futures market doesn’t need Bitcoin except as a source of pricing info to determine which contracts are winners and losers.