Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

LLL Domains - What To Watch Out For?

Reaction score
I always see people saying they have LLL domains.

Things like:
I've tried to understand why people would try and catch these. They seem valuable but it makes no sense to me.

I get if you find an abbreviation and there's a company with the initials, but you've got to reach out, negotiate and it seems like a lot of work.

I've got 2 questions:
1) What should I watch out for with these?
I.e. are any NOT worth trying to grab if I have a tag free that's not catching anything else.
2) Are there any that are really worth trying to grab?

I'd love your input as I'm totally confused by this!

Most lll.co.uk and lll.uk are worth trying to catch

Some letters there's just less words that start with them like j,v,z,x,q

Personally I most likely wouldn't bother with a domain that has two of the above unless it means something

L is a good letter to end with because of limited

LLN.co.uk & uk probably aren't worth anything unless they mean something

LN.co.uk & uk probably are worth something

Thanks for the detailed reply and great tip about XYZ!

What would you expect something like abg.co.uk to go for?
Maybe phrased differently, what would you expect an avg LLL to go for?
100?
500?
1000?
10?

What would you expect something like abg.co.uk to go for?
Maybe phrased differently, what would you expect an avg LLL to go for?
100?
500?
1000?
10?

To an end user or another domainer?

Really depends on the letters, the seller and buyer

Generally A nice lll.co.uk on domainlore anywhere from £350-1000

To an end user could be £2000-5000

Maybe what I'd ask £2500 for someone else would ask £7500 and get it so more fool me :p

You can look on seemly for lll sales https://seemly.co.uk/domains/prices?char_count=3&rows=10 (need to make an account to get a full list)

lll.uk on domainlore seem to go for less in general than co.uks

Edit> Oh Seemly already replied with his site above

Thanks

so vcd.co.uk went for 160 or ouk.co.uk 120.

while the others went for a ton more. Seems random.

Thanks for the stats but I still can't work out what's a good £5K LLL or a £100 LLL!

How would you predict it?

Like so many other markets and trends, you really can't predict it.

The whole thing about any trading - not just domains - is context and timing.

Context could consist of:
  • Number of interested parties
  • How many of the interested parties REALLY want the domain?
  • Domain quality
  • Desirable characters
  • Desirable character structure/order
Timing is difficult, and is relative to the context mentioned above.
Right now, it could be argued it's a buyers market.

Domains don't have a defined price. The price is defined by what the buyer is willing to pay, and the seller is happy to accept.

The reason I have records of over 17k .uk domain sales is because I was interested in trying to discover trends, but also to help buyers and sellers when trying to ascertain a fair market price for a domain, in relation to similar historic domain sales.

I'd like to be able to update the site to allow people to make whatever queries they want, and better discover potential trends. Time is just a commodity that is a little bit expensive to me these days.

Last edited:
Domain name is pretty much like any other investment. What's the likelihood of a return, how soon and how much? The return may not be in form of just more income, could be lower marketing costs, brand simplification etc. There must however be a return imminent.

If your domain has happy answers to those three questions it's valuable. Your next problem is are potential buyers aware. Outside of domainers, people don't spend a lot of time thinking about domain names like they do with cars and houses or clothes. Any domain name with a certainty of ROI has a buyer, it's that simple. The problem is the buyer isn't thinking about domains and thus isn't aware it's available most of the time.

People will digitally build on any old rubbish domain, you only have to surf the net to see this. Lawd knows how much investment, time, energy on a website that's gonna go nowhere partly due to the sheer awfulness of the domain name it's built on, thus causing the developer to eventually lose faith whereas the right domain name imho offers ongoing consistent inspiration over the duration

Something is amiss. People when building a house take a lot of care as to what bit of land that house is built on but this reasoning is yet to translate into digital real estate in a mainstream way.

Then there's luck. You could own NitrogenCooledBananas.co.uk and if by some aligning of the stars someone decided to call their new movie, business or rockband NitrogenCooledBananas you'd be quids in. But what are the odds?

LLL'S with some going for as little as £25 each of late are as rock-solid a domaining investment as you'll likely find setting aside obvious 7star Prime domain names. You'll likely get your £25 back at the very least. But for me, domaining isn't a game you play if you want guaranteed results. Do it cos you enjoy it, it's in my view hugely complex so great if you are the type that likes never-ending complexity.

Like so many other markets and trends, you really can't predict it.

The whole thing about any trading - not just domains - is context and timing.

Context could consist of:
  • Number of interested parties
  • How many of the interested parties REALLY want the domain?
  • Domain quality
  • Desirable characters
  • Desirable character structure/order
Timing is difficult, and is relative to the context mentioned above.
Right now, it could be argued it's a buyers market.

Domains don't have a defined price. The price is defined by what the buyer is willing to pay, and the seller is happy to accept.

The reason I have records of over 17k .uk domain sales is because I was interested in trying to discover trends, but also to help buyers and sellers when trying to ascertain a fair market price for a domain, in relation to similar historic domain sales.

I'd like to be able to update the site to allow people to make whatever queries they want, and better discover potential trends. Time is just a commodity that is a little bit expensive to me these days.
Wow - thanks for the detailed reply! It sounds like you spent ages researching this!

I'd like to try get some 'broad rules' if possible. (Until I can understand it better).
1) Would you say that it's worth going after all LLL's? (I have a tag that only chases certain domain names, so on empty days it would be great to assign it to something)
2) Am I likely to get over £50 for most LLL's?
3) Is it only for .co.uk LLL's? What about .me.uk or. .org.uk LLLs?

Just trying to work on what to 'auto' add to my catching list when it's not being used.

I really appreciate the help!

Do it cos you enjoy it, it's in my view hugely complex so great if you are the type that likes never-ending complexity.
That's why I do SEO. I love the challenge of it! This is one of my new challenges this year....lots of learning and it's a ton of fun.

1) Would you mind giving some ballpark guidelines for LLL's?
2) What about things like place names? See https://domainlore.uk/droplist. (See place domains)
- how should I go about choosing which ones to try catch?

Basically, if I catch a domain that's not in my core requirements I want to offload it. I don't want to build up a huge stockpile of domains to try sell one day. So want to try find domains that I can offload at an auction for a profit. As long as I get above 50 I can make a small profit. Below that, it's a loss which I'd rather avoid.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom