Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

.london domains

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not what people have come to expect, seeing a clunking big word for an extension, what are we going to have next, .washington, .amsterdam etc? Also, .london is even longer than .co.uk FFS!

The upside of the new extensions is that it could increase type in traffic.

Some like visit.london discover.london etc think they’ll work much better than London.uk /co.uk?

Do people really trust the notion of preordering to 'see' if you will get the domain.

What happens to these 'pre order' lists. I mean they must be worth a mint. You got tens of thousands of people just handing over their best ideas for domains months before registration is possible. What protection do they have that the lists are just handed straight over to the big dogs to cherry pick all the best stuff with all the work done for them?

It's not what people have come to expect, seeing a clunking big word for an extension, what are we going to have next, .washington, .amsterdam etc? Also, .london is even longer than .co.uk FFS!

It's going to work, not quite the way it's being promoted imho, but thats only to get people to register as many duffers as possible which is profitable for the new registrars. But some of the new TLD's will be superior.

Do people really trust the notion of preordering to 'see' if you will get the domain.

What happens to these 'pre order' lists. I mean they must be worth a mint. You got tens of thousands of people just handing over their best ideas for domains months before registration is possible. What protection do they have that the lists are just handed straight over to the big dogs to cherry pick all the best stuff with all the work done for them?

There's no mystery. It's been discussed for years in the GTLD space that there's a core 50,000-200,000 terms that tend to get registered in every new extension (.mobi, .tel, .me, .co etc.) within seconds of general availability. So there are unlikely to be many surprises in the pre order lists, just people behaving in a predictable way.

Of course, there may be significantly less take-up this time around, but the above is practically the sole business model of some of the minor new GTLD extensions i.e. they're counting on the stuff "everyone registers everywhere" to float their boat.

The mind boggles

http://www.domaininvesting.com/new-...e=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buff

I disagree, its a whole new type of confusion.

While it won't be confused for being another ext, it will be missed as even being a web address at all, on the search results and in hyperlinks it may be fine but confusion in print will be epic.

I think to avoid this confusion, we'll see the return of people writing/typing and saying "www" before their name.london, which lengthens the address further.

This might have avoided if the tld was .ldn or .lon which identify to the public that it's a website (without seeing/hearing www.)

There's no mystery. It's been discussed for years in the GTLD space that there's a core 50,000-200,000 terms that tend to get registered in every new extension

This is surely new work. .London, .app etc are very specific ideas you can't just chuck any word in front of regardless of how highly searched it is and expect to have a domain name of note.

So question is valid. Huge pre-order databases are being built as we speak, what if any guarantee is there that is isn't being abused?

This is surely new work. .London, .app etc are very specific ideas you can't just chuck any word in front of regardless of how highly searched it is and expect to have a domain name of note.

If I was a .london believer, I'd build my word lists by taking all the categories off of Yell and other business/local directories and then manually stripping out the junk, creating singular/plurals and derivative forms, etc. (plumber -> plumbers -> plumbing) You could probably get a 10,000 candidate list cleaned up and ready to go in under a day. If I can do that, a large firm definitely could.

That's not to say that the pre-reg lists are de-facto secure - I just don't see any scenario in which the risk of a large registrar being caught "stealing" them is worth taking compared to the relatively simple task of building them in house. Nobody's going to sabotage millions of pounds of business for a few keyword ideas.

In my opinion....

No matter what extensions come out over time ".COM will always remain king", other than Google of course ;-)

Best,
Barry

ICANN have agreed this now..

http://mydotlondon.com/

BoJo's all over it saying it'll be a huge boost to London etc...

I've said it before on here - I think the market is changing big time and traditional extensions are becoming less important as these new more specific ones are released.

What does everyone think?

So we've got to wait 6 months before can dev new .UK, then probably a year and half for 95% of the new tld's to flop and the dust to settle.

In hindsight, it might have been better if the new .UK was going to happen it happened a year ago, at least then it would have been established a bit more and have a lead on the trash "get martin.shop"! about to be released on to the pubic.

Not really, Julian. Had it happened a year ago we'd be paying £20/year for them and TM holders would have most of the best generics.

The final proposal is so much better than V1 that it was "worth" the delay, and then some.

I meant this result now happening a year+ ago, not V1 :rolleyes: If you get my meaning.

Not really, Julian. Had it happened a year ago we'd be paying £20/year for them and TM holders would have most of the best generics.

The final proposal is so much better than V1 that it was "worth" the delay, and then some.

I meant this result now happening a year+ ago, not V1 :rolleyes: If you get my meaning.

Ah, ok - sorry.

If Nominet had proposed exactly what we've ultimately ended up with as V1, I think they'd have been able to launch .uk within a couple of months of the consultation ending.

How about .llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch?
(That's a real place in Wales)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Auctions Ending - Flip.uk

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom