Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

.net or .org.uk for a UK audience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
There's a couple of domains I'm looking at that have just the .net and the .org.uk available.

I want to develop the said domains for a UK audience, I'm just wondering which would be the best to develop, the .org.uk or the .net? I know that .org.uk can rank very well, but I'm not sure about the .net when dealing with a site that is specific to the UK.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Scott

If you're going to be targeting a UK audience I would probably go with the org.uk.

Also you would get two years registration rather than just the one with the net extension.

.nets can be a bit of a fiddle to rank in the early days (set location in webmaster tools, host on a UK domain, get at least some .co.uk/.org.uk links, put a UK address on your content page and then wait...) but once established they do just as well - same for .com and .org

Neither is great, but .org.uk is probably the least worst of the 2 if you're targetting the UK exclusively.

Neither is great, but .org.uk is probably the least worst of the 2 if you're targetting the UK exclusively.

That depends really - if the .co.uk and .com are unavailable (not just taken but impossible to buy) and a .net, .org or .org.uk means you can rank where you otherwise may not be able to get significant link diversity on a realistic budget.. and you're not planning to advertise in offline media.. well then they're pretty awesome, really :)

If you are purely targeting search traffic I'd nearly always go for the .org.uk personally.

As others have said.. org.uk is probably the least worst option.

Get both.
I threw together www.WhiskyDecanters.net a couple of months ago, not expecting much for UK serps, even tried to flog it for £25 on here unsuccessfully. It's still page 1 on google for "whisky decanters" and made some healthy sales on amazon UK. I've not even optimised the title or description meta tags, looks very bare in the google listing :)

P.S.
It's above the .com

Last edited:
Get both.
I threw together www.WhiskyDecanters.net a couple of months ago, not expecting much for UK serps, even tried to flog it for £25 on here unsuccessfully. It's still page 1 on google for "whisky decanters" and made some healthy sales on amazon UK. I've not even optimised the title or description meta tags, looks very bare in the google listing :)

P.S.
It's above the .com

Bit off topic but I like the way you've done that site. I used the magazine basic theme to make crackedscreen org a while ago. As you can see its quite different than yours, just shows you how good the theme is :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom