Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nice email.... but...

Reaction score
Sometimes you have to stop escalation. If you are the parent of two, you love both and despite who you think is right, you will not let them fight until only one is left ;)

Just felt like a bit of banter to me... I can't imagine it's easy to offend Sam or for him to offend anyone!

And on another note, I think Leaflets couk was a steal on DL

Sometimes you have to stop escalation. If you are the parent of two, you love both and despite who you think is right, you will not let them fight until only one is left ;)

Then again.... Should you lock your kids in a their room or do you guide them to an equitable solution?

On our site we call moderators "Community Guides", we call the Rules "Community Guidelines".

It's all about guiding and directing conversation, not shutting it down. I don't mean to interfere but the topic above was pretty mild to me and the fact that the topic is currently being advertised in emails and twitter and shut down makes it a bit odd when visiting. To me it seemed mild enough and it puzzled me seeing it locked down.

My opinion on forums is that it takes two opposing opinions to make a lively conversation. Even when the conversation turns sour a guide can come in and direct the topic back on track. If I use your children analogy I would say to the child please don't speak to your sibling that way and guide the conversation/argument into a different direction.

All that said, offensive posts can be deleted and I find the most interesting topics are the hotly contested ones. They add traffic to the forum and keep people coming back to see what happened. If you lock up those topics people tend not to come back and traffic dies down.

Just the opinion of another moderator.

I'm glad someone else mentioned it.

Did it get spicy or something? Last I saw of it was someone said they wouldn't pay reg fee for it. I was waiting to find out what the price is going to be increased too.

Hard to imagine one dork on this Earth willing to pay 8 bags for a domain name as rubbish as selfiestick.com. What use does this have? People in the domain industry have big dreams, fine, I get that — me too. But you need to be realistic at the same time. You know, back when I was regularly chasing names, I'd auction them straight away, money in my pocket, I'd go and spend that money and enjoy it. Some people wanna catch names, stick a lander on them and pray to the domain Gods that some poor soul will come wandering by in 30 years time offering 30 grand for it, when the reality is this:

• 80% of the worlds domain name real estate taken by landers and domain squatters with astronomically stupid prices for things like selfiestick.com, which are intrinsically useless.
  • 20 years + of registration fees and not a single serious offers close to asking price on probably a good 60% of all landers.

All those domain names out there that could be used by the next cool startup or something, not sat on a GoDaddy lander or some other rubbish. It's almost embarassing to think about.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Hard to imagine one dork on this Earth willing to pay 8 bags for a domain name as rubbish as selfiestick.com

Then technically all domains are rubbish with a $10 registration fee cost.

It's not until someone needs it that a domain becomes valuable.

As domainers we are speculative, I've seen two word domains outsell single words. You can have obscure 4 letter domains sell higher than pronounceable 4 letters at times. It all depends on who needs the domain.

Last edited:
Then technically all domains are rubbish with a $10 registration fee cost.

It's not until someone needs it that a domain becomes valuable.

As domainers we are speculative, I've seen two word domains outsell single words. You have obscure 4 letter domains seller higher than pronounceable 4 letters at times. It all depends on who needs the domain.

I guess my comment was more of an observation of how broken the domain industry really is. You have 7/8 figure companies like GoDaddy sitting on domains for decades. I did some research a few weeks ago with a script, and bulk WHOIS a large number of very obscure domains. 90% of them were registered on .com. I'm talking about things like borborygmus.com for nearly 5k, callithumpian.com 1.5k ... the list is truly endless.

Of course, I'm not saying we should not be speculative, but there's little point to holding a name for 20 years awaiting a magical offer and then dying.

I guess my comment was more of an observation of how broken the domain industry really is. You have 7/8 figure companies like GoDaddy sitting on domains for decades. I did some research a few weeks ago with a script, and bulk WHOIS a large number of very obscure domains. 90% of them were registered on .com. I'm talking about things like borborygmus.com for nearly 5k, callithumpian.com 1.5k ... the list is truly endless.

A lot of those domains are registered by poorer people, like those in India where a sale of $150 is considered an excellent return on a $10 investment and a $450 sale is considered a home run. They are all over twitterX exorbitantly happy about sales guys like us would not bat an eye too.

Again it's all perspective, it's what makes the world of domaining so interesting, there are the guys waiting years for the big payday and then you have the guys happy to feed their family for a week on a more obscure sale.

Ok guys, let us close the thread. It sounds partly offensive.

See how I simply redirected your message with the message I posted above. I don't see anything even mildly offensive in this thread that would warrant it's closure. But then again, I always say it's a matter of perspective, your perspective is it's your forum so we have to respect the decisions you make.

Just means we can agree to disagree.... all ok with me, I will remove my shoes when entering your house, especially when asked.

In summary the majority of your profits will come from just 10 to 20% of your domains.

I have 3 catalogs of domains, basically thousands of them in .com .ca .net .org .xyz etc

For me the numbers are more like 5-10% not 10-20%

Mind you that might change when the useless .net's drop. I got a lot of them with one catalog purchase, I got my money's worth for the domains I wanted but am dropping a few thousand .net's. They are as useless as they come and I have not had a single inquiry of substance on any of them. So once I cull them my percentage might go up.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom