Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Sail co.uk (inc. .uk)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi all, I've recently decided to sell sail .co.uk (includes .uk) on and have had limited success advertising it at around £17.5k - views on this? Too much? Too little? It comes with a website (pr4) with a few good backlinks and good age.

Cheers!

I'd say high ££££ to low-mid teens £££££ if you can find the right buyer.

Cheers Martin, I was expecting a few offers around the 15k mark. Was at the boat show last week but realised very quickly that trying to sell a domain name there was not going to happen - very hard to explain what a domain name is, let alone the value in something as relevant as sail .co.uk....

Directory websites are out of fashion, but they can still be great authority websites. And sailing is a very moneyed industry..

Just being generic doesn’t instantly mean others see it the same? For them more importantly does it offers any advantage when it comes down to the crunch sales?

Could they see it as a more a brand/type driven market (most people selling/buying its type speedboat, cruiser, yacht etc make, model etc) and going down the all encompassing then made up “brand” offers better option in some instances

Site and Pr are all fine if it’s making good revenue but can be a disadvantage when not?

Have you had many enquires? depending on who there from can be a good indicator if there all boat makers and none are offering anything like what you want do they know there market would they miss the opportunity when cost would be returned few sales ? I’d say unlikely?

Personally think your expectations are high but don’t mean others will be put off but the wait will be maybe a long one open market auction xxxx maybe mid on a good day?

But the great thing about most domains is they cost peanuts to renew and in most cases were bought at reg fee ? So you can wait for the right one to come along :D

Hi all, I've recently decided to sell sail .co.uk (includes .uk) on and have had limited success advertising it at around £17.5k - views on this? Too much? Too little? It comes with a website (pr4) with a few good backlinks and good age.

Cheers!

Invite offers from relevant businesses, the market will dictate the price and tell you what it's worth.

You'll be lucky to sell it for £17.5k IMO.

Rgds

I think you could sell it quite easily for around £5k, but if your looking for anything a lot over this, it may take a long time waiting for the right buyer to come along. From what I've seen, uk domain sales seem to have slowed down quite a lot over recent years compared to 4 to 6 years ago.

Invite offers from relevant businesses, the market will dictate the price and tell you what it's worth.

You'll be lucky to sell it for £17.5k IMO.

Rgds

.. why? this is an ok price for the right buyer.

Gl,
Helmuts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gl,
Helmuts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then offer them 13k and you can make 4.5 if you think the price is right for the right buyer you’ just need to find them :p wouldn’t make business sense not too ;)

£17.5k is not impossible. However, I stick by saying they'll be lucky. Reasons? It's just domainer gut feeling. It's to do with how important the branding is to making money in the sector. Brand vs content production. In this case, you can produce great content, and many magazines, websites etc probably are, and you can be successful in business, i.e. the name you're using is relatively unimportant.

Rgds

Thanks for the replies everyone. Have had some good chats with media companies in the industry - they all agree that it'd make a great brand - there's always huge banners and sails with logos/ addresses emblazoned on them, 'Sail. uk' is perfect for that. Saying that though, I'm still waiting for a good, concrete offer!

Thanks for the replies everyone. Have had some good chats with media companies in the industry - they all agree that it'd make a great brand - there's always huge banners and sails with logos/ addresses emblazoned on them, 'Sail. uk' is perfect for that. Saying that though, I'm still waiting for a good, concrete offer!

Thinking about this it would make a very good brand. However, it's difficult to make the big sale straight off to someone else, who will have to put all the work in.

Have you written letters to potentially interested parties?

Have you considered offering them lease to buy? That might help you achieve a deal. I'm not an expert on the contracts though, and both parties would need to ensure they had adequate safeguards in the contract.

Rgds

As a travel brand it has potential imo and worthy of the price if you can engage with a big OTA, or (travel) related search engine business who can see the potential.

As a travel brand it has potential imo and worthy of the price if you can engage with a big OTA, or (travel) related search engine business who can see the potential.

I can also see potential with travel sector buyers, although I would imagine that there would be other bigger buyers. A sailing holiday business is relatively small compared to say a sailing magazine business I reckon.

Have spoken to the biggest magazine players and they don't want to do anything if the .com isn't included - apparently they think that .co.uk/ .uk is a bit confusing and will get lost in all the new extensions:) will continue to invite offers.

I can also see potential with travel sector buyers, although I would imagine that there would be other bigger buyers. A sailing holiday business is relatively small compared to say a sailing magazine business I reckon.

OK. Type in kayak in your browser, no need to put the extension in. See what they are about = hotels & flights. What has the name kayak have to do with what they are (indirectly) selling. Nothing, nada.

Sail on the other hand can be a totally focussed, niche search engine (or ota) dedicated to ....you guessed it

magazines / web portals won't part with the £$ for usual reasons but for someone allready in the travel search biz with the vision, knowhow & budget this potentially could be a goldmine

Have spoken to the biggest magazine players and they don't want to do anything if the .com isn't included - apparently they think that .co.uk/ .uk is a bit confusing and will get lost in all the new extensions:) will continue to invite offers.

I am hoping this will change once the .uk gains traction, which I think it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom