20i Reseller Hosting

SEDO Sale Issues

Discussion in 'Domain Name Disputes' started by Nick11380, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick11380

    Nick11380 Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 2011
    Posts:
    211
    Likes Received:
    2
    Hi all,

    I am creating this thread to see what the AD community considers to be a reasonable or unreasonable outcome to this situation.

    I have recently agreed to sell a .org.uk on SEDO; it was a speculative purchase at the FTR price that I made a couple of years back. It had been listed on SEDO since I purchased it and an offer was made recently that I accepted.

    However, unbeknownst to me, the .co.uk version of the same domain had dropped and been renewed since my purchase - making this domain eligible under the proposed direct.uk scheme.

    I have had the .uk version of this .org.uk valued (albeit roughly) at a low-mid £X,XXX figure.

    I am entirely willing to sell this domain name and have no intention of fleeing the agreement. However SEDO does not have any time constraints in its contract and, unsurprisingly you might say, I feel that it is reasonable to complete the transaction following the outcome of direct.uk.

    I will honour this sale, but it is the timeframes that I am considering and would love to hear what the community makes of the scenario.
     
  2. Domain Forum

    Acorn Domains Elite Member

    Joined:
    1999
    Messages:
    Many
    Likes Received:
    Lots
    articles.co.uk
     
  3. atlas Canada

    atlas Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2007
    Posts:
    1,580
    Likes Received:
    63
    Taking more than a week to transfer a domain after payment has been made is very unreasonable.
     
  4. Nick11380

    Nick11380 Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 2011
    Posts:
    211
    Likes Received:
    2
    Appreciate the thoughts, Atlas.
     
  5. grantw United Kingdom

    grantw Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2005
    Posts:
    4,706
    Likes Received:
    93
    Eh!! You've accepted an offer on the domain so therefore you need to complete the transaction in a timely manner. If you've no intention of fleeing the agreement what difference does it make what the outcome of direct.uk is?

    The consultation doesn't end until 23 September, you've then got probably 2 months before Nominet announce what's going on with it!

    Unless I'm misreading your post, making a buyer wait 4 months+ for no reason at all is clearly unreasonable!!

    Grant
     
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Murray

    Murray Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 2012
    Posts:
    3,734
    Likes Received:
    280
    I might be wrong but I think this is what you're saying..

    You want to wait until you can register the .uk yourself before you transfer the org.uk?

    No, I don't think that is acceptable, if you have already agreed to sell you have agreed to sell.

    If they have already paid you I would send the domain at first opportunity.
     
  7. Nick11380

    Nick11380 Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 2011
    Posts:
    211
    Likes Received:
    2
    Given the response I am fairly certain I can conclude this one.

    Thanks for your feedback, both.
     
  8. grantw United Kingdom

    grantw Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2005
    Posts:
    4,706
    Likes Received:
    93
    Ah, that would make a bit more sense to me :)

    Definitely still unreasonable though.

    Grant
     
  9. Retired_Member38

    Retired_Member38 Banned

    Joined:
    Jun 2013
    Posts:
    1,773
    Likes Received:
    43
    Why do you think someone bought the .org.uk in the first place? It would more than likely have been a gamble in .uk going ahead under the current proposal. He isn't buying your low value .org.uk... he's buying a lottery ticket for the .uk.
     
  10. Edwin

    Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2005
    Posts:
    9,825
    Likes Received:
    535
    Agreed, get on with it and move on to the next deal. Anything else is just messing the buyer around.
     
  11. Alien

    Alien Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 2006
    Posts:
    6,020
    Likes Received:
    63
    How would you feel if the situation was reversed and you were the buyer?

    Would you wait? :rolleyes:

    No you wouldn't, you'd be on here moaning about it...

    Good grief Charlie Brown.

    [​IMG]
     
  12. RobM

    RobM Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2012
    Posts:
    3,043
    Likes Received:
    428
    How did you get the .uk valued with no data and without seeing how the .uk market lies?
     
  13. Retired_Member38

    Retired_Member38 Banned

    Joined:
    Jun 2013
    Posts:
    1,773
    Likes Received:
    43
    Pretty easily done I'd imagine - ask a bunch of potential end users what they'd be willing to pay for it on launch day?
     
  14. Nick11380

    Nick11380 Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 2011
    Posts:
    211
    Likes Received:
    2
    Worth me coming back here to point out I've transferred the domain to the buyer. I made a mistake agreeing to sell this name and have had to honour it within a fair time period.

    Learn the hard way I guess!
     
  15. bluerock

    bluerock Well-Known Member Full Member

    Joined:
    Jan 2005
    Posts:
    8,998
    Likes Received:
    56
    You've done the right thing for sure. These days some people have no honour or integrity and change their mind at the drop of a hat. Well done
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.