Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

The king has got no clothes on…

m4c

Reaction score
My thoughts on the Dan % increase:

Am I the naive one, or does anyone else here realise it’s friggin madness that in 2023 and our current environment of blockchain revolutionising archaic industries, from insurance to shipping to music, that the industry that was effectively the world’s first digital NFT, should have to consider a trading commission of 15-25%!!!!

Think about it… I baulk at paying 1% commission to an agent to transact on a house sale… PayPal get away with a 2-5% fee, even including currency exchange, because they are providing the security to both parties, and include the external merchant fees in that…

The reason that I started using Dan and agreed to their 9% fee, wasnt so much for their landing pages, rather because of the ‘escrow’ service and trust factor for buyers dealing with an unknown seller… on my modest collection of £xxx names, losing £10-100 on a sale isn’t such a big deal, but why should a domain name transaction be on a percentage, rather than a fixed fee anyway? - zero difference in transactional friction or costs from £1 to £1mil…

I know there’ll be costs involved in building and running a decent platform, so if fees are reduced it’s only going to work at scale - which organisation has the resources and industry standing to be able to step up and break the GoDaddy / Sedo monopoly?

Without knowing anything about the inner workings of the business, what’s stopping Nominet from becoming the de facto exchange platform?

Their £10 transfer fee always seemed excessive to me for an automated process - could it be upgraded / a higher level of transaction created with security for the buyer as well, in the form of some type of smart contract?

How many threads posts can we have about this just move on if you don’t like it use your own landers it’s not that hard !

• Funny
Reactions: m4c
How many threads posts can we have about this just move on if you don’t like it use your own landers it’s not that hard !

I plan to :D
- didn’t think my idea was talking about landers

There is probably 3% or 4% fees involved in providing an infrastructure and offering escrow and payment gateways.

Then they spent a lot on marketing making buyers feel safe.

My only issue with Dan is that they dont prioritise .co.uk domains so they don't bring any buyers for me. They just provide a landing page.

Maintaining your own landing pages and SSL becomes tricky when you scale and finally domains are more valuable than they sell for so Godaddy may have realised this and know their is a margin to be made.

Reactions: m4c
Yep, Even more so when i do most of the outreach anyway, I just use the dan lander for the trust factor.

I know you can still import a lead for 5% but you cant use the landers and they add trust to the buyer with the godaddy branding.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom