Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Transfering a .co.uk domain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Sold a domain and clearly stated that the buyer is responsible for the £12 transfer. Now, he is claiming that I can just change the IPS tag with no cost to "push" the domain to him. Am I missing something here? Is there a way I can transfer the domain to him without the cost? What I did was send him a Registrant change transfer email and stated on our Nominet account that the buyer will pay the fees. Is that not correct?

Changing the IPS tag will simply transfer control of the domain to the buyers registrar - but you will remain the registered owner on the WHOIS.

To become the registered owner, your buyer will need to complete the Nominet transfer request.

Hope this helps!

Craig

It's dodgy to just change the IPS to the TAG of their choice, for all you know, they could put some nasty/illegal/dodgy site on a domain, which will still show as being registered to you, if there was anything in any way illegal, you would be responsible, so tell them they have to accept the transfer and pay the fee to get it in their name and ownership.

Thanks for the reply. Can I change the IPS tag without incurring cost through my Nominet account?

Beware of Buyers and Sellers trying to trade without using the £12 Nominet Ownership Service - There is no other way of transfering the ownership from one party to another.

Guess It's the equivalent of selling a car without transfering the V5 ownership paperwork. The new owner could go and rack up £000's of Speeding and Parking fines in the previous owners name.

Last edited:
Ok guys, really appreciate your advice on this. It really made it much clearer now and enabled me to respond to him in a constructive and informed manner.

Even for an ol'hand like me - It's nice to be reminded of the do's and don'ts regarding our unique UK 'double level' system.

It's easy to understand why newbies find it confusing - particularly if the've taken advice from friends who know even less

It's easy to understand why newbies find it confusing - particularly if the've taken advice from friends who know even less

I've recently put a transfer guide up, the whole thing is so over-complicated it's tough to translate it into something newbies can understand but it may help:

UK domain transfer guide

Grant

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom