Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

.UK Announced

The Ad should certainly have given some warning about the consultation and the fact that Nominet have proposed launching a shorter, 'more secure' alternative business domain. I've never seen any such warning on the greatplacetobe.co.uk site. If they were a financial services company they would be fined out of existence for witholding such information. People might also act on this ad today and buy in the aftermarket spending thousands on a .co.uk domain.

The Ad should certainly have given some warning about the consultation and the fact that Nominet have proposed launching a shorter, 'more secure' alternative business domain. I've never seen any such warning on the greatplacetobe.co.uk site. If they were a financial services company they would be fined out of existence for witholding such information. People might also act on this ad today and buy in the aftermarket spending thousands on a .co.uk domain.

Common sense tells me that Nominet don't intend launching .uk and are keeping co.uk alive for damage limitation.

Common sense tells me that Nominet don't intend launching .uk and are keeping co.uk alive for damage limitation.

I'd like to think that too - but the fact is there is an ongoing consultation and the new .uk is to be considered by the board in late Feb. I expect that the main registrars are starting to suffer higher than normal lapse ratios and poor numbers of new .co.uk registrations. So Nominet are doing this as a sop to them for their support for the new .uk. I think there is every chance that they'll still try to launch .uk. But this is one crazy, misleading, marketing campaign that might cost them dear.

I did just check every page of the greatplacetobe.co.uk site and there is no warning anywhere about the consultation or Nominet's proposal to introduce a new shorter 'more secure' .uk in the near future. That in itself could also be a breach of the Trades Description Act - Nominets website name 'a great place to be' is obviously a misleading statement, in itself. Quite a good summary on this BBC site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/design/resistantmaterials/designsocialrev10.shtml

Well, going on previous experience of Nominets' common sense policy, anything could be possible...

30th June 2012

30th June 2012, that is that the last date anybody registering a .co.uk or .org.uk will be entitled under the Nominet .uk proposal to have any rights at all for the equivalent .uk string.

There is likely to be over 1,000,000 UK domains registered since that date to the time nominet make .uk available, (if they launch it all) that will have no more rights than anybody else.

Nominet will also not tell anybody wether they even intend to contact the registrants of those domains, why would they have no rights!

30th June 2012, that is that the last date anybody registering a .co.uk or .org.uk will be entitled under the Nominet .uk proposal to have any rights at all for the equivalent .uk string.

There is likely to be over 1,000,000 UK domains registered since that date to the time nominet make .uk available, (if they launch it all) that will have no more rights than anybody else.

Nominet will also not tell anybody wether they even intend to contact the registrants of those domains, why would they have no rights!

Your observation on this point is very significant, but of course they can change the rules, if they proceed with .uk

what to do next?

Your observation on this point is very significant, but of course they can change the rules, if they proceed with .uk

Quite right, they may even go for full migration from .co.uk.

But if they go for a major rewrite of the .uk proposal, that is even more reason to ensure there is another consultation period, as due to so many flaws in the first one.

I for one cannot trust that Nominet will take on board the arguments and adjust the final .uk introduction to satisfy the competing viewpoints in a fair way.

I know some are preparing legal action, EGM's and a host of other measures but I will be putting my time/effort/resources to assert pressue on Nominet to go for wider consultation, whatever direction they deem to go with as regards to .uk.

Trust the people to decide not 10 people in a closed room

Last edited:
Quite right, they may even go for full migration from .co.uk.

But if they go for a major rewrite of the .uk proposal, that is even more reason to ensure there is another consultation period, as due to so many flaws in the first one.

I for one cannot trust that Nominet will take on board the arguments and adjust the final .uk introduction to satisfy the competing viewpoints in a fair way.

I know some are preparing legal action, EGM's and a host of other measures but I will be putting my time/effort/resources to assert pressue on Nominet to go for wider consultation, whatever direction they deem to go with as regards to .uk.

Your doing a great job, more power to your elbow.

The only acceptable outcome for me is for the proposal to not go ahead.
I'm not interested in migration from co.uk or any other dressing up.
I believe grandfather rights would not only satisfy some people but be viewed as a financial benefit. But what about Joe public who has invested through the years in co.uk, and the costs to him or her, though varying in size just can not be justified for the benefits of .uk instead of co.uk

The uk business webspace has already been sold and it should'nt be sold again.

The only acceptable outcome for me is for the proposal to not go ahead.
I'm not interested in migration from co.uk or any other dressing up.
I believe grandfather rights would not only satisfy some people but be viewed as a financial benefit. But what about Joe public who has invested through the years in co.uk, and the costs to him or her, though varying in size just can not be justified for the benefits of .uk instead of co.uk

I totally agree and its the view I've held since the first time this absurd notion was mooted 5 years ago. Its a way for Nominet, UK PLC and large registrars to benefit financially. Its s disgrace and an affrontment to all of those who have invested so heavily over the years in the .co.uk - arguable the most recognised and valuable country-specific business url on the planet.

As websaway says; the uk business webspace has already been sold and I would go so far to say IT "CANNOT" BE SOLD AGAIN!!

free link

Agree 100%

What if the domains .co.uk and .uk were linked at the registry level and one would be redirected to the other.

There would be no extra cost to current .co.uk owner (use part of £3m annual surplus)

all new registrations would get both .co.uk and .uk

no new security on .uk or other conditions

no trademark problems (otherwise action would have been taken against the .co.uk owner already)

just specify which is main tld (as can only have one as main)

sprinke in some .org.uk free mediation with .co.uk owners, restrictions of third level sales from .uk,
some marketing to explain to the public what is going on and improve secuity in the UK namespace by different efforts

that would satisfy those that want .uk as it is more modern, works for those dealing with outside uk,
protects investment in .co.uk and allow people to move to .uk on their timetable not be forced to rebrand.

Similar to .wales and .cymru being linked as suggested by Nominet.

Last edited:
Agree 100%

What if the domains .co.uk and .uk were linked at the registry level and one would be redirected to the other.

There would be no extra cost to current .co.uk owner (use part of £3m annual surplus)

all new registrations would get both .co.uk and .uk

no new security on .uk or other conditions

no trademark problems (otherwise action would have been taken against the .co.uk owner already)

just specify which is main tld (as can only have one as main)

protects investment in .co.uk and allow people to move to .uk on their timetable not be forced to rebrand.

Pretty much what I wrote to Nominet, outside of the suggestion that applying charges is morally wrong and possibly illegal. If the .uk were to be introduced they should be given FOC to the current owners of the .co.uk (there is no other way) they cannot seek to profit from the introduction a new main tld when millions of people have already invested so heavily in the (main) tld over the last 10 years. Then perhaps the .co.uk could be phased out but only when it reached parity.

Agree 100% with Ian Andrew's comments.

"We have reduced the prices of our small (300) inventory of .co.uk names by 50% across the board. The proposal is absurd and if implemented will cause widespread uncertainty for UK businesses using .co.uk and confusion for the public. In my opinion this consumer confusion will significantly strengthen the use of the established brand of dotcom for building businesses in the UK," Andrew predicted.

We've made similar reductions in prices and our sales have plummeted in the last 3 months. Unlike Nominet (who've been on the radio today promoting agreatplacetobe.co.uk), we have, since October 1st, been putting potential buyers on notice about the consultation and it's clear that a lot of buyers then lose interest, or want further reductions. We have made some sales and fortunately have some reserves - Nominet do say they will continue to run .co.uk even if direct.uk is launched - and I think it will pick up again - but Nominet have done their best to ruin a successful extension. We've also started developing domains but, as Ian Andrew says, we've tended to look at our .com portfolio for this. .com will be the beneficiary even if .uk is launched. A lot of buyers will also be put off .uk because they cannot get the .co.uk. So they'll just go for the .com.

Last edited:
Agree 100% with Ian Andrew's comments.

"We have reduced the prices of our small (300) inventory of .co.uk names by 50% across the board. The proposal is absurd and if implemented will cause widespread uncertainty for UK businesses using .co.uk and confusion for the public. In my opinion this consumer confusion will significantly strengthen the use of the established brand of dotcom for building businesses in the UK," Andrew predicted.

We've made similar reductions in prices and our sales have plummeted in the last 3 months. Unlike Nominet (who've been on the radio today promoting agreatplacetobe.co.uk), we have, since October 1st, been putting potential buyers on notice about the consultation and it's clear that a lot of buyers then lose interest, or want further reductions. We have made some sales and fortunately have some reserves - Nominet do say they will continue to run .co.uk even if direct.uk is launched - and I think it will pick up again - but Nominet have done their best to ruin a successful extension. We've also started developing domains but, as Ian Andrew says, we've tended to look at our .com portfolio for this. .com will be the beneficiary even if .uk is launched. A lot of buyers will also be put off .uk because they cannot get the .co.uk. So they'll just go for the .com.

Companies that have already branded on the .com extension can rest easy.
Companies that have put their trust in Nominet have already been shot on.

.com has and will always be the gold standard.

.co.uk has gone from silver to bronze and I don't see it going back even if Nominet drops domain.uk.

If the PAB had still existed this would have all been discussed in a less intrusive way, well before going to a full blown consult (probably never).

.com has and will always be the gold standard.

.co.uk has gone from silver to bronze and I don't see it going back even if Nominet drops domain.uk.

If the PAB had still existed this would have all been discussed in a less intrusive way, well before going to a full blown consult (probably never).

Totally agree. The damage has been done now and just a case of building up the reputation nominet has spent the last 10 years doing all over again.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom