Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

.UK Announced

Just out of interest, how many Nom members are there and what proportion would you define as investors rather than just registrars? I think that it is just a vocal minority at the moment because only registrars have been notified of the proposals ( as far as I'm aware) while the 11 mil+ registrants "should check the Nominet website every now and again if they're interested in their domain names".
I know of 2 companies (with £100 mil+ turnover) with relatively generic domain names that they operate from and they have no idea "what i'm going on about and how the hell would there even be a small chance that this Nominet organisation not let them have their names in .uk, especially after we've put so much into our name already".

I think it's about 4,000 members. Here's the current list (the old page is 404 but I managed to find this one) http://www.nominet.org.uk/whoweare/structure/members/list-members

If I had to guess - and it would be no more than that - I'd say perhaps 250-300 members are domain investors and perhaps the same again are registrars (with some overlap) and the rest are organisations that joined Nominet to have internal control over their domain name portfolios for greater security and accountability, web development firms, etc.

However (and this is a BIG difference) the registrars have perhaps 90%+ of the voting power because it's based on domains-on-tags and of course the big registrars have hundreds of thousands each.

If somebody has any better figures, I'm all ears - not suggesting my guess is particularly accurate.

Last edited:
Just out of interest, how many Nom members are there and what proportion would you define as investors rather than just registrars? I think that it is just a vocal minority at the moment because only registrars have been notified of the proposals ( as far as I'm aware) while the 11 mil+ registrants "should check the Nominet website every now and again if they're interested in their domain names".
I know of 2 companies (with £100 mil+ turnover) with relatively generic domain names that they operate from and they have no idea "what i'm going on about and how the hell would there even be a small chance that this Nominet organisation not let them have their names in .uk, especially after we've put so much into our name already".

Like L'Oreal perhaps? Take skincare.co.uk (amongst other generics they have). It'll be interesting to see if Corporates like this are able to replicate their generic portfolios, even partially!

2880'ish members of Nominet as of the AGM in April, roughly will be about that figure according to my data on voting rights.

Even with the cap on voting rights if the top 3 fanboy registrars vote the same way then it's a fait accompli.

Even with the cap on voting rights if the top 3 fanboy registrars vote the same way then it's a fait accompli.

It is complicated mate, technically they are limited to capped to 3%. So 3*3%=9% in theory. There are other brands of course under those three big boys so you could be right, not sure.

If they did squash it with 3 big boys then that is effectively saying that the UK internet is under the control of 3 big boys. That equally won't look good for Nominet in the eyes of the Government.

I still think it is in everyone's interests not to try and get board level conflict with Nominet, that is still the aim of everyone. So just trying to answer your question in theory rather than say what anyone needs to do to cause conflict, if you get what I mean. Voting rights are very complicated.

----

I'm doing articles on sites that will lose out if these changes go ahead. I'd be grateful if anyone knows of any to fill in the form on the page. The bigger the better and there are some big ones already.

http://www.that.co.uk/business/known-victims.html

Via email. Posting in case you did not receive it.

Direct.uk consultation update - dates for the diary.

We would like to thank all those who have already taken the time to give us their feedback to the consultation on the proposed new direct.uk service.

We have an FAQ available to provide further clarification on some of the questions stakeholders have asked. (http://www.nominet.org.uk/how-parti...y-discussions-and-consultations/direct-uk-faq)

We recognise that the proposals would represent significant change for the .uk domain name space, and have set up a number of different opportunities to get involved and ensure that any resulting service or changes would meet the needs of businesses, boost trust in the .uk namespace, and contribute positively to Britain's fast-growing internet economy.

1. Roundtables

We have organised three roundtable meetings for stakeholders in London to ensure we capture feedback from a number of specific perspectives.

You can sign up for the session dedicated to registrars on Tuesday 6 November 2012, 10.30 - 13.00 http://www.keysurvey.co.uk/f/463415/161e/

We expect these meetings to be popular so would encourage you to register your interest as soon as possible. Only one representative per organisation will be accepted for each session.

There will be four further meetings that will be open to all:

* 14 November in Cardiff
* 28 November in Glasgow
* 4 December in Manchester
* 11 December in Belfast

Register your interest in attending these: http://www.keysurvey.co.uk/f/463417/172a/

2. Open House

To answer specific questions you may have about the proposals, we will be holding an 'Open House' on 8 November 2012 in London. Nominet staff will be on hand to discuss specific aspects of the proposed direct.uk service, including malware scanning, registrant contact detail verification, plans for sunrise period and dispute resolution. If you would like to attend please register your details: http://www.keysurvey.co.uk/f/463415/161e/

3. .uk Registrar Conference

This year's .uk registrar conference will be held on Wednesday 21 November 10.30 - 13.30 in London and will focus on the implications of this potential new service. If you are interested in attending please register your details http://www.keysurvey.co.uk/f/463469/fe5f/

The event will be webcast for those unable to attend in person. If you are interested in joining the webcast please register your details http://www.keysurvey.co.uk/f/463488/d90a/

4. Respond to the consultation

You can view the proposals and respond to the consultation either by completing an online form, by downloading the consultation and return your completed form to [email protected] or by requesting a printed copy of the consultation from [email protected].

5. Twitter, blog and email

We will be providing regular updates about the consultation on Twitter and on our blog. We will also be sending email updates, if you have registered to receive them at http://www.nominet.org.uk/how-parti.../how-uk-policy-process-works/register-updates

The consultation is open until 7th January 2013.

If you have any questions regarding this please contact our Customer Services team on 01865 332233 or email [email protected]
--
Nominet UK Announcement mailing list
http://www.nominet.org.uk/go/lists

We recognise that the proposals would represent significant change for the .uk domain name space, and have set up a number of different opportunities to get involved and ensure that any resulting service or changes would meet the needs of businesses, boost trust in the .uk namespace, and contribute positively to Britain's fast-growing internet economy.

Read:

We recognise that the proposals would represent significant change for the .uk domain name space, and have set up a number of different opportunities to get involved and ensure that THE resulting service or changes would meet the needs of businesses, boost trust in the .uk namespace, and contribute positively to Britain's fast-growing internet economy.

I can't believe that this proposal will not go ahead just because of a few dissenting voices, even from the business community. This is an executive board level decision - with probable government pre-approval - and to not go ahead would mean a lot of positions untennable.

Will it affect the rest of the .uk namespace. Almost certainly, but not to the level that a lot of the apocalyptic doom-mongers here are saying. Really depends on implementation. If its as loose as the .eu implementation then everyone is in for a world of pain, and Nominet more so when a significantly higher proportion of .uk domains are warehoused and prices skyrocket (including .co.uk as the 'viable' business alternative). If it's implemented like the olden-days pre-noms with the electronic version of application/vetting/authority AND no-resale then it may work.

As it is this is a disaster waiting to happen. The business community - with countless 100,000 of businesses built on goodwill and pr/marketing - haven't really got wind of this yes. When they do a few FAQ's aren't going to save them if a few of the big boys with non-trademarkable domains - remember the rules for trademarking words etc - will have the scent of blood in the air!

When they do a few FAQ's aren't going to save them if a few of the big boys with non-trademarkable domains - remember the rules for trademarking words etc - will have the scent of blood in the air!

The current .uk FAQ's don't mention the fact that competing applicants will most likely go to auction and pay a significant price.

How will you decide which competing interests will get the .uk domain?
We are very aware that this needs to be introduced in a way that respects rights holders and is fair on the businesses and consumers who have been loyal .co.uk customers. We are proposing a sunrise phase that respects existing trademarks, recognises unregistered rights and also confers unregistered rights status on any existing .uk domains currently used by UK businesses. We would run dispute resolution service – that offers a low-cost alternative to the courts when there is a dispute over a domain name – for any additional .uk services.

Thats a rather big omission.

This is an executive board level decision - with probable government pre-approval - and to not go ahead would mean a lot of positions untennable.

Good point. If it does have governmental approval, then
i'd imagine that this would be fairly easy to check?

What makes you say that?

Because governments tend to have meetings, and record
their actions and intentions. Certainly, the release of .uk
isn't a matter of national security, so any agreement or
understanding should be in the public domain...

Because governments tend to have meetings, and record
their actions and intentions. Certainly, the release of .uk
isn't a matter of national security, so any agreement or
understanding should be in the public domain...

Ah, bless. I used to be that green and naive. Many, many, moons and several careers ago!

totally agree.

"well, it suggests that you are only a transient collector
of ip, with no vested interest in it. Of course, that is
exactly what some of you are"

what/who are you?

Grant

+1

This is simply a re-branding of the business uk name space, nothing more nothing less, and while it should be inconceivable to even think about doing it, they have cloaked the realities by bringing in the security issue.

once upon a time people could leave the front door of their home open and no uninvited visitors would enter, that of course changed with time, and so with the internet, as it grows more focus on security is necessary.
But none of that hides the fact to me that what nominet is doing is a

Re-Branding of the uk business namespace

and in 10 years time people will say what was the .co.uk extension.

And what do I know about you AFX?

And why would you even need to "know where
i'm coming from" unless you wanted to use
that against me in some way.

I'm just a bloke on a forum - challenge me on
what i'm saying, if you don't want to look
insecure and 'needy'...

Last edited:

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom