Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

.UK Announced

a question for any trademark wizards
If nominet's proposals went through, how far would a trademark stretch to entitlement on new .uk registrations, would the trademark have to be exact or could someone with a trademark say "park" lay claim to holidaypark.uk

a question for any trademark wizards
If nominet's proposals went through, how far would a trademark stretch to entitlement on new .uk registrations, would the trademark have to be exact or could someone with a trademark say "park" lay claim to holidaypark.uk

My understanding is that it would have to be an exact match. Otherwise any company with a trademark that included the word "dogs" would be able to join an auction for the domain "dogs.uk".

My MP said that similar concerns were also growing. I think that the one sided versions of events being given to Ministers are no longer carrying the weight they once did...

What support, one way or another, are we likely to see from those MPs who have had expenses paid by for them in the past?

What support, one way or another, are we likely to see from those MPs who have had expenses paid by for them in the past?

People who raise legitimate concerns to their local MP's will receive full support as that is what MP's are there for. I thought nominet had just paid a few expenses for MP's who where going to nominet conferences. I very much doubt that MP's would ignore peoples concerns just because of this.

development NOT written off to the profit and loss account

Concern on change of Nominet accounting policy in 2012?

If you look at all previous published Nominet accounts you will see from the 2011 accounts page 35 Accounting Policies : section “Research and development expenditure”: states “Expenditure on research and development is written off to the profit and loss account in the year in which it is incurred”

Accounts can be found :

http://www.nominet.org.uk/whoweare/annual-reports

If Nominet change the accounting policy now by capitalizing expenditure rather than writing it off, which may have the effect of distributing more surplus to Nominet Trust than otherwise would be the case. Plus there is more profits for bonuses etc.

Nominet intend to capitalize .wales costs and some other expenditure.
Nominet website http://www.domainforwales.org.uk/content/questions-about-consultation states “However, the costs of developing .cymru and .wales will be capitalised and appropriately recorded in our published accounts along with other Nominet development projects.”

Nominet have replied to my concerns about such a change with the following:

The capitalisation of development expenditure is a change in accounting policy in 2012, which has been authorised by the Board following consideration and recommendation by the Audit Committee. This change has been prompted by the upcoming changes in the accounting standards regime, which will result in Nominet adopting International Financial Reporting Standards (EU) in future years. IFRS (EU) requires the capitalisation of development costs where certain criteria are satisfied, this treatment also being permitted by current UK accounting standards. The treatment adopted in the 2012 financial statements is a change in accounting policy and will be disclosed as such.

The application of this change in accounting policy has been reviewed by the company's external auditors, who have concluded that the application is compliant with both the current UK accounting standards and IFRS (EU), and in addition presents a true and fair view for users of the financial statements. The 2012 financial statements will be distributed to members along with the Notice of AGM.

The level of the donation to Nominet Trust is considered and approved each financial year by the Board. The Board consider a number of factors in determining the donation, including both the current cash position and the projected cashflow of the business in future years. As the development costs have already generated a cash outflow, the change in the treatment of development costs does not impact on the cash position of the business and is not therefore material to the calculation of any donation to the Trust.

I think this matter should be brought up at the AGM, as it is not prudent for a not-for-profit organization to make this change, I cannot see an upside for Nominet?

Have a look at the dossier http://www.that.co.uk/nominet_files.pdf page 20, it goes on about other accounting irregularities in switching accounting methods....

In my opinion any EGM would have to request that the books be audited by an independent organisation (not a small one neither, a large auditor) and that it goes back sometime.

Last edited:
I can see why the .wales would be capitalized and then written off over a period of years - because after the initial investment of capital, Nominet "own" .wales/.cymru, so the value of that asset (or the control of that asset) will be listed on the balance sheet. Capitalizing development like this represents a truer picture of what the investment or spending actually is for.

My post above is that an audit be done using one accounting method for the past years. That way we can see true % changes from year to year. To me it isn't massively important which accounting method they use, as long as they pick one and stick to it. Jumping from method to method whilst maybe done for legitimate reasons could also be seen to muddy the water.

They're not handling their URL's very well :rolleyes:, brands2life.com

They are handling URL's well they have opted to develop the .com because it's a safe bet and they have set their co.uk up for email and a sponsored sales lander page, which is the level that Nominet has reduced co.uk to.

brands2life co uk seems to be a sponsored sales lander page.

Email massages going to totally wrong place.This just demonstrates how event more confusing would be to have .UK. I hope this gets picked up by media.

Email massages going to totally wrong place.This just demonstrates how event more confusing would be to have .UK. I hope this gets picked up by media.

The media really need to step up to the plate soon. I know that there has been a few stories about Nominet in the media but there should be a lot, lot more.

Questions in the House

Is there a question being asked today about .uk?

http://services.parliament.uk/calendar/ DMCS up at 09:30

That is what my MP thought was going to happen at my meeting last week.

She asked me for some ideas of extra questions on .uk if it did happen, that she could ask from the floor as it was to late for written questions.

On sky there is a BBC news channel that just features the House of Parliament, not expecting much but it will be helpful to have the .uk topic aired to a wider audience.

Just noticed from the website you posted for the link to the House of Commmons is www.Parliament.uk so they are alright they have already have their .uk!

Last edited:

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom