Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Upcoming Dan changes

That would be the ideal scenario, for example on my last sale i had to walk the buyer through the process, this would not have been easy if it was not a outbound sale.

Was so much easier with dan

I was looking at some old sedo sales and did see one where transfer was not being completed by the buyer and sedo requested that we set the transfer up to them, using a sedo email address. I assume they also paid nominet fee on that one (perhaps they invoiced the buyer for this later). Perhaps they would be willing to match dan's efficient transfer service by allowing transfer to a tag they control.

I just emailed Sedo with this suggestion, lets see what they say.

I was looking at some old sedo sales and did see one where transfer was not being completed by the buyer and sedo requested that we set the transfer up to them, using a sedo email address. I assume they also paid nominet fee on that one (perhaps they invoiced the buyer for this later). Perhaps they would be willing to match dan's efficient transfer service by allowing transfer to a tag they control.

Going forward, USD will become the only currency available for pricing your domains.
This was the last straw for me... I think it's unacceptable for a UK seller and buyer to be completing the transaction in USD – both parties will incur exchange rate fees and complications as a result.
I've now set up my own landers with a contact/make offer form and a simple template with custom background images (eg goal.uk, justice.uk, logistics.uk, motorcycles.uk, okay.uk, voices.uk)
I've kept things simple for now, no CMS or database, just one php file handling everything. Took only a few hours.
I will be defaulting to Escrow.com for payment, but offer Dan or Sedo to those buyers coming from those platforms or expressing a preference for that.

This was the last straw for me... I think it's unacceptable for a UK seller and buyer to be completing the transaction in USD – both parties will incur exchange rate fees and complications as a result.
I've now set up my own landers with a contact/make offer form and a simple template with custom background images (eg goal.uk, justice.uk, logistics.uk, motorcycles.uk, okay.uk, voices.uk)
I've kept things simple for now, no CMS or database, just one php file handling everything. Took only a few hours.
I will be defaulting to Escrow.com for payment, but offer Dan or Sedo to those buyers coming from those platforms or expressing a preference for that.

nice landers!

I wish I could take credit for it... I used an off the shelf template which I customised to fit what I wanted to achieve. It's far from perfect, I'll tweak it further when I get the chance.
I just wanted to move away from Dan asap.

Last edited:
Now Dan are showing the VAT to be paid by the buyer, that'll mean all the BIN prices will have to be changed yet again.

Then again, pretty much all of my buyers on Dan have been UK based, others from the US and China, just the occasional one from an EU country. I'm guessing nothing is shown regarding VAT if the buyer has a non EU IP address?

Can someone based in the UK look at Pens.uk and let me know if it mentions the part about pay now excl. VAT, or does it not mention that if you're using a UK IP address?

Can someone based in the UK look at Pens.uk and let me know if it mentions the part about pay now excl. VAT, or does it not mention that if you're using a UK IP address?
Yes, it's IP-dependent
From UK: Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 15.40.44.png Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 15.40.54.png / From EU: Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 15.41.33.png Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 15.41.41.png

PS: get a VPN, they're as cheap as chips :)

Last edited:
@webber, thanks for that, in that case, I think I don't need to change all the prices with so few sales coming from EU buyers, cheers.

Take a look at 123reg though. Its listed in Pounds - they're then adding VAT at checkout!

Take a look at 123reg though. Its listed in Pounds - they're then adding VAT at checkout!

Is that because they're a UK company, and people using their services are charged VAT if they're UK based?

No idea why they are doing that - But that's Godaddy - won't let us sell in Pounds but fine if it's their own registrar.

After sending them my thoughts about these changes via chat, I got this response:
dan.com said:
In the meantime, you can set a Buy Now price for the domain for it to be listed on Afternic's network and your buyer can make the purchase in any currency via GoDaddy. That way, we still handle the transaction for you and your buyer can choose any currency and payment method on GoDaddy.
Yeah, very helpful...
Why does Dan even exist anymore!?

I suggest you send your feedback to them as well, just maybe there's a chance of a reversal, but I fear this is all a deliberate strategy of pushing customers to their daddy

After sending them my thoughts about these changes via chat, I got this response:

Yeah, very helpful...

I suggest you send your feedback to them as well, just maybe there's a chance of a reversal, but I fear this is all a deliberate strategy of pushing customers to their daddy

Ciprian, a few of us have sent them our feedback but they seem set in their ways. One response I did receive mentioned they are considering showing the conversion in pounds on the landing pages which would help slightly but I think a reversal is unlikely because it's Godaddy and they won't care.

The only trouble with that method is godaddy shows them loads of alternative domains for much cheaper this can sometimes confuse the buyer.

Yeah, very helpful...

Email update today from Dan.com, I think this may have been posted somewhere, but without trawling through every post to find it, I'll post it here:

Auto opt-in to Afternic coming August 1st

Hi there,

Beginning August 1st, we will automatically opt-in in all domains listed on Dan with a Buy Now price into the Afternic marketplace. We believe our sellers benefit from additional exposure to more than 150 partners of the Afternic network.

Also on August 1st, we will remove the ability to opt-out of listing on the Afternic network so all domains listed on Dan with a Buy Now price will also be distributed to Afternic.

Analysis of Dan sellers opting into distribution on the Afternic network shows an increase of more than 30% on the average sales price those sellers receive.

We worked to make managing domains on both marketplaces easy. Check out our product update #7 for more information.

We are committed to continuing to deliver a superior customer experience making domain trading available to everyone.

If you have any questions, please use the Dan Help Center or contact the Dan team at [email protected].

Have a great day,

Any recommendations on how to park and sell in GBP now, although I am in Asia, most sales are from UK buyers who want GBP.

Hi James,
I would recommend daaz.com UK based and very reasonable selling fees. I've sold a few through them. Easy transfer process and quick payout.
Good luck
John

Are they better than Dan with dealing with non-payers? I had several in a row that agreed a price and never heard from again (at dan). That was why I stopped using them and did my own.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom