Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Upcoming Dan changes

Reaction score
"As of July 7th, we will convert all listings to USD at the current market exchange rates. Going forward, USD will become the only currency available for pricing your domains."

Not ideal for sellers of UK names when buyers are primarily British.

final nail in the coffin. This will only alienate their UK / EU customers. Sales will likely drop but I don't think they care as it's all moving to Godaddy / Afternic soon anyway.

That is shocking, Anyone know a good marketplace to use for UK buyers?

"As of July 7th, we will convert all listings to USD at the current market exchange rates. Going forward, USD will become the only currency available for pricing your domains."

Flip, but I personally don't like that a prospective buyer can so easily view reams of unsold £30 domain auctions
DomainManage, requires a subscription
I've setup basic parking pages with an offer box on Bodis, see 3-d.uk

I suspect the next step will be targeting the currency to the user. So whilst everything is listed in USD (which makes the afternic integration easier), they may well convert it to GBP for a UK buyer - same as if you search on godaddy and see a domain through afternic, it doesn't matter that it's listed in USD, it shows the GBP equivalent.

They've not said this, but I would be surprised if they didn't do it.

that also seems part of the same update

From July 5th, when Dan receives the buyer’s payment, your invoice, revenue sheet and payout amount will convert to your preferred payout currency.

that also seems part of the same update

From July 5th, when Dan receives the buyer’s payment, your invoice, revenue sheet and payout amount will convert to your preferred payout currency.

I mean for buyers. So I'm guessing it'll start showing prices in GBP to buyers from the UK on Dan.

That would make sense, fingers crossed.

I suspect the next step will be targeting the currency to the user. So whilst everything is listed in USD (which makes the afternic integration easier), they may well convert it to GBP for a UK buyer - same as if you search on godaddy and see a domain through afternic, it doesn't matter that it's listed in USD, it shows the GBP equivalent.

I know GoDaddy did target currency to user - at least on sales page - but when you go through to checkout it shows dollars.

And can you check to see if sales pages still convert currency to user? I'm now seeing only dollar prices for UK names despite being in UK and going via https://www.godaddy.com/en-uk?

The problem is the exchange rate.

Just sold a .com after being approached by a Godaddy broker and got rumped on the exchange rate, i stated i wanted £X amount of GBP in my account after all fee's and by the time it landed i was a couple of hundred out pocket.

Moan all you like at them but their currency of business is USD and they'll revert to that line until you give up, how long have you got to moan about £200 before you need to go back to work.

You may need to increase your overall price to allow for the difference.

Any business they do is heavily weighted in their favour, seller beware!

The problem is the exchange rate.

When being paid in dollars, it usually works out best if you accept payment in dollars and then transfer them to GBP yourself.

It's very easy to do this nowadays - I use Wise who allow you to open multiple currency accounts and move money between them.

Totally agree, but if your promised or don't have a Wise account (i do but didn't use it) there will be an issue.

But yes Wise could be a life saver if you're dealing with Godaddy going forward

can you check to see if sales pages still convert currency to user? I'm now seeing only dollar prices for UK names despite being in UK and going via https://www.godaddy.com/en-uk?

I have dcd.uk on Dan at £4,450, and on the GoDaddy link it's also still showing in £, but the price shows as £3,500

It looks like they've taken the Dan price and converted that to Dollars, because £4,450 on xe.com converts to $3,490.41 and rounded it up on GoDaddy to £3,500, but simply replaced the symbol from $ to £.

(Edit)

I converted £4,450 from $ to £ by mistake, giving the incorrect $3,490.41 figure above. Should have been £ to $.

Last edited:
I have dcd.uk on Dan at £4,450, and on the GoDaddy link it's also still showing in £, but the price shows as £3,500

It looks like they've taken the Dan price and converted that to Dollars, because £4,450 on xe.com converts to $3,490.41 and rounded it up on GoDaddy to £3,500, but simply replaced the symbol from $ to £.

£4,450 should convert to $5,670. Complete shambles.

So you know, I'm seeing $4,450 for dcd.uk, but when I try to add to cart it says "This domain isn't available".

Last edited:
£4,450 should convert to $5,670. Complete shambles.

Sorry, you're correct, I had the currencies the wrong way round and converted £4,450 from $ to £.

No idea then why the price on GoDaddy shows as £3,500 instead of £4,450.

Sorry, you're correct, I had the currencies the wrong way round and converted £4,450 from $ to £.

No idea then why the price on GoDaddy shows as £3,500 instead of £4,450.

I think you are right tbh. At present, they simply take the UK price from Dan and list it as a dollar price on Afternic network. Then for a UK visitor, they take the Afternic price and convert it to pounds! So your £4,450 name gets listed at £3,500 (and dollar equivalent at checkout)!

Dan's change should at least see the GBP price converted to USD at market rate not 1:1 so that's an improvement. But that creates another obstacle for potential buyers: UK names listed in dollars.

A multi-national company the size of GoDaddy should be able to operate a multi-currency system.

(Edit)

I converted £4,450 from $ to £ by mistake, giving the incorrect $3,490.41 figure above. Should have been £ to $.

Yeah they switched a while back - all afternic prices are now whatever number you've set as the dan BIN with a dollar sign in front (eg: £100 becomes $100, and €500 becomes $500).

I posted a thread here a couple of months ago: https://www.acorndomains.co.uk/thre...-pricing-to-inherit-instead-of-custom.176917/

When being paid in dollars, it usually works out best if you accept payment in dollars and then transfer them to GBP yourself.

It's very easy to do this nowadays - I use Wise who allow you to open multiple currency accounts and move money between them.

if you’re doing a lot of business in the US / USD, it could be worth checking out a WorldFirst bank account - I used to do Amazon FBA in the US

Does anyone know of a company that will offer lease to own in GBP now that Dan have converted everything to USD and it seems they will not use GBP at all. Although I am in Asia, most customers want GBP for lease to own. Thx.

Well looks like the changes have taken place.

Pain in the ass for people selling to UK buyers grrrrr.

Does anyone know of a service like dan where you can import a lead and they take care of payment and transfer?

Cheers
Karl

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom