Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Upcoming Dan changes

Hi Robert,
Sorry, I can't answer your question regarding are daaz better than Dan as I've had no issues with non-payers since using them. To date, every sale has gone through with no issues.
Landers are not quite as good as Dan but you can import leads as like Dan and even send a domain to auction as you can with Sedo. They don't get the eyeballs that Sedo get though.

I have moved the bulk of my domains over to Sedo from Dan, and had my first sale on the platform over the weekend.

The Sedo platform is not the best, and the back and forth with regards to going through tag change / nominet is long winded as opposed to Dan. Still if it generates me more sales I’ll put up with it.

Just had a notification that an installment payment has been received today (1st August) but they're not paying out until the 14th August. That's new isn't it, normally they paid it out straight away?

I have moved the bulk of my domains over to Sedo from Dan, and had my first sale on the platform over the weekend.

The Sedo platform is not the best, and the back and forth with regards to going through tag change / nominet is long winded as opposed to Dan. Still if it generates me more sales I’ll put up with it.

Glad to hear you recevied a sale on Sedo. I started moving my domains over but had to take a break as it was time consuming pricing every domain individually and was starting to get RSI!

In that time i've received a couple of sales on dan.com so now in 2 minds whether I will stay with them a bit longer and see how things pan out or eventually move the rest over to Sedo.

Glad to hear you recevied a sale on Sedo. I started moving my domains over but had to take a break as it was time consuming pricing every domain individually and was starting to get RSI!

In that time i've received a couple of sales on dan.com so now in 2 minds whether I will stay with them a bit longer and see how things pan out or eventually move the rest over to Sedo.

same here - I've moved quite a few to sedo but it is a slow process and still got the bulk on dan. Just made a sale on dan - transferred quickly yesterday and got paid in pounds same day. But I do have concerns going forward. Noticed that the afternic integration is going ahead today. Lots of our domains say 'processing' and lots say 'listing failure' so not sure how this is going to pan out.

same here - I've moved quite a few to sedo but it is a slow process and still got the bulk on dan. Just made a sale on dan - transferred quickly yesterday and got paid in pounds same day. But I do have concerns going forward. Noticed that the afternic integration is going ahead today. Lots of our domains say 'processing' and lots say 'listing failure' so not sure how this is going to pan out.

What was the exchange rate like? Did you lose out in the currency exchange on top of inflated commissions? I've asked for payment in dollars for dollar sales, but may change to GBP if they aren't making money on the exchange.

Same problem here with Afternic: small percentage of names also saying already listed which isn't great as must be previous owners.

What was the exchange rate like? Did you lose out in the currency exchange on top of inflated commissions? I've asked for payment in dollars for dollar sales, but may change to GBP if they aren't making money on the exchange.

Same problem here with Afternic: small percentage of names also saying already listed which isn't great as must be previous owners.

Can't see we lost anything on the exchange rate. I just checked on xe.com and we were paid almost to the pound what the conversion rate is. Just looked at the transaction notification on dan and they actually quote the rate of 0.7782

Just had a notification that an installment payment has been received today (1st August) but they're not paying out until the 14th August. That's new isn't it, normally they paid it out straight away?

One of the best thing about Dan is (was) how quickly you got paid, but I have also had notification that LTO payments are now being paid weeks after being received. This obviously benefits Dan in a number of ways, but at the sellers' expense.

I didn't know that about LTO payments until reading about it on here last night, that's ridiculous, so I've turned LTO off on all my domains, I'm not supporting GoDaddy by giving them money to hold for extra weeks, to earn interest on.

I didn't know that about LTO payments until reading about it on here last night, that's ridiculous, so I've turned LTO off on all my domains, I'm not supporting GoDaddy by giving them money to hold for extra weeks, to earn interest on.

Be careful you don't impact sales: better to get the money a few weeks later than previously than not at all. Not that I don't agree with your sentiment.

Last edited:
@diablo,

Yeah, I know what you mean, but I've had no interest in anything on LTO yet, so I'm not too bothered about turning it off.

Recently every time I see there's a new "update" at dan.com it makes me shudder as it's always something nobody wants and only serves their own interests. Bit by bit they are just destroying it.

We've been completely hammered this year with:

Increase from 9% to 15% commission
Forced to listing in dollars only with only 2 days notice given
Forced Afternic participation (which is the reason why we were forced to list in dollars)
Delayed LTO Payments

What's next? Payments to be made by cheque only, collection from their US offices in person only?..

Last edited:
So it's been around 6 weeks now, just wondering how people are finding either having stayed with Dan or having moved to somewhere like Sedo?

I had a couple of sales remaining on dan.com but it's been very quiet since, zero offers. Normally i'd have a trickle of offers come in. It's still bugging me seeing all my domains listed in dollars, I just can't get comfortable with it so might still move to Sedo but was wondering how people are finding it there?

Summer is usually slow but did make a $1500 'buy now' sale on dan last week for a two word .uk (funny enough the .co.uk is on hugedomains at $2795 and hasn't yet sold - but I noticed today it says it is in 1 person's cart). I have moved quite a few to sedo on cheaper 'buy now' prices but nothing so far. The bulk are still with dan and the buyer last week was uk end user so didn't put him off. I think things should pick up in Sept - I'm not happy about the dollar change and think it is disrespectful to uk and european domainers (who are not able to sell in euros - even though dan are based in the eu!). But I can't be bothered at the moment to shift a lot more domains, and not sure if it makes a lot of difference - i.e. if someone really wants a domain they'll come and buy it - but will continue to wait and see what other options are available, and will continue using sedo for now - not a good idea to have all eggs in one basket.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on moving away from Dan, it's very slow at the moment regarding offers, but I expected that during this time of year, as summer always seems to be slow for sales on Dan.

I have all domains listed on Sedo in readiness, but haven't changed nameservers as yet.

Over previous years on Dan, these are the total amount of offers/sales for the months of Jul and Aug:

Offers:

Jul 2
Aug 1

Sales:

Jul 1
Aug 0

So it's been around 6 weeks now, just wondering how people are finding either having stayed with Dan or having moved to somewhere like Sedo?

I had a couple of sales remaining on dan.com but it's been very quiet since, zero offers. Normally i'd have a trickle of offers come in. It's still bugging me seeing all my domains listed in dollars, I just can't get comfortable with it so might still move to Sedo but was wondering how people are finding it there?

Think it's far too early to say, and like others have said, July and August aren't the best indicators as so many people are on holiday.

Why do I feel discussing anything about dan.com is basically the same as discussing an incumbent politician?

We all know how it ends!

So i've had a while to trest the waters over at Sedo now and quite frankly I'm very dissapointed. The one sale I had there was extremely slow (2.5 weeks to finally receive payment after it was made and lots of chasing vs the usual 24 to 48 hours from dan.com).

However now their systems perform daily WHOIS checks to see if domains in your portfolio are still registred and deletes any that aren't. Fair enough, except it is now deleting domains from my portfolio there on a daily basis that are clearly still registered, sometimes it's just one other times it's 8 in one day. It is very time consuming having to re-add the domains, assign them the correct sales page (which is a slow multi stage process on Sedo) and figure out the individual pricing for each individual domain that i've already previously added. I emailed their support and all they had to say is the proceess successfully deletes thosuands of domains that are no longer registered so there's no issue here, sorry it's causing you a daily headache but we won't be looking any further into it. Ticket closed. Their system has deleted 30% of my portfolio on there now and they couldn't care less that i'm having to spin plates constantly re-adding them every day.

Anyone else on sedo having this same issue?

So yeah time to move back to dan.com :/ Interetsed to see what brandable might have to offer once it's properly launched.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom