Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Using Free Templates and Its Impact on SEO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am running a person website where I have used free website template. Though it looks very fine and cost effective off course but I have a doubt whether it has any bad impacts on SEO, Please help me to solve this issue.

What makes you think it might have a bad effect on SEO?

Have you thoroughly checked the code to make sure there are no concealed links (other than perhaps a link to the website of the person who designed it)?

Cheers, Jon

I never thought the design would impact SEO but I've had an odd experience recently.

I put up 4 sites using the same slightly modified template & all 4 of them were nowhere to be seen in Google.

2 of them did initially show up around page 1 & 2 then suddenly dropped like a brick to about page 30.

I did a bit of investigating, changed the <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC bit of the code, and hey presto 2 of them have re-appeared.

Just waiting for the other 2 to be crawled & we'll see what happens.

I never thought the design would impact SEO but I've had an odd experience recently.

I put up 4 sites using the same slightly modified template & all 4 of them were nowhere to be seen in Google.

2 of them did initially show up around page 1 & 2 then suddenly dropped like a brick to about page 30.

I did a bit of investigating, changed the <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC bit of the code, and hey presto 2 of them have re-appeared.

Just waiting for the other 2 to be crawled & we'll see what happens.

It may be your changes that made the difference. But it's also fairly common for new sites to initially rank highly in G, then drop like a stone, then reappear a little later at a more "normal" level

Cheers, Jon

But the fact is that I have never seen a website clutching top ranking position in a competitive keywords. Most of them are unique design. This is the reason why I have some doubt about it.

But the fact is that I have never seen a website clutching top ranking position in a competitive keywords. Most of them are unique design. This is the reason why I have some doubt about it.

I think that's a symptom of their success rather than a cause of it.

It's a bit like saying, "I've never seen a celebrity shopping in Tesco's. Therefore shopping in Tesco's prevents you from becoming a celebrity"

Cheers, Jon

It may be your changes that made the difference. But it's also fairly common for new sites to initially rank highly in G, then drop like a stone, then reappear a little later at a more "normal" level

Cheers, Jon

Yes thats true. I have some sites that appear & just stay there and others that appear then disappear then reappear later.

This one has now disappeared again so God (or Google) only knows whats happening with it.

I think that's a symptom of their success rather than a cause of it.

It's a bit like saying, "I've never seen a celebrity shopping in Tesco's. Therefore shopping in Tesco's prevents you from becoming a celebrity"

Cheers, Jon

I like your reason very much. Now I will try out find the exact reasons rather than scrutinizing its symptoms.

I would have thought that providing your template allows you to do the obvious SEO stuff - sprinkle keywords through title tags, h1-h6 tags, urls, image names, alt text content etc - that it should have no negative impact on the SEO. Obviously, a large part of SEO is the links.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom