Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Vidahost going downhill

Reaction score
Anyone else having problems with Vidahost? Since they were bought out the support has gone downhill fast, it now takes hours to even get a response and then they just repeat themselves

Having real problems with downtime which they just blame on "high load" - certainly isn't from us

oh please dont say this ....ive moved loads of sites to them and have both a vidahost reseller package and vidacloud package

I don't have any hosting with them but I know a few people that do and they have been saying the exact same thing as you @bonusmedia . I was going to move a few sites to them but I think I will look elsewhere now. It's frustrating that many hosting companies seem to get a great reputation for themselves and then all of a sudden their service and customer service takes a complete dive.

What package are you on?

I'm on the VPS 40, which should really be more than enough for the task as far as I understand.

oh please dont say this ....ive moved loads of sites to them and have both a vidahost reseller package and vidacloud package

:-( I've been with them for years and had no complaints until fairly recently - but it's now a persistent and serious issue

I don't have any hosting with them but I know a few people that do and they have been saying the exact same thing as you @bonusmedia . I was going to move a few sites to them but I think I will look elsewhere now. It's frustrating that many hosting companies seem to get a great reputation for themselves and then all of a sudden their service and customer service takes a complete dive.

I believe they sold out to HEG. My guess is they have 'streamlined' the service (brought it down to the lowest common denominator)

I had a plumber over today,and he were saying the last 12 month Vida has been in a nose dive as far as support goes. Theres blood in the water.

So what are the alternatives? We have three servers with them currently.

It's a pain, you think you move away from these companies but you find yourself back with them when they buy out the smaller guys. I left Godaddy with my .com's at great expense and trouble, now my hosting will be with those clowns? I left hostgator to vida for the same reason, hopefully it takes a couple of years to filter down (the inevitable decline in service).

Having been on the other side of the hosting buyout thing, it's even more frustrating and stressful for the staff. Watching something you've put years of your life into - and your best friends have put years of their lives into - go into rapid decline when no one can stop it is one of the worst things I've ever been through. It's wonderful being back as one of the 'smaller guys' though, especially as the company is focused on being the best rather than making the most money, and we can get things done fast instead of having endless meetings and corporate bullshit.

So what are the alternatives? We have three servers with them currently.

If you were happy with vidahost then you'll be happy with Krystal. I am not going to say they are perfect but for budget hosting they have been the best so far for me,

If you were happy with vidahost then you'll be happy with Krystal. I am not going to say they are perfect but for budget hosting they have been the best so far for me,

The Krystal website and plans read well to me.

I've got a basic Krystal account for a few small sites, had no issues.
However when they add £10 per month for cpanel, £60 per month for managed service, £20 per month for backups - it starts to look expensive
We rarely need support but it has to be there when we do.

@Blossom Just been taken a look at your 20i.com offering. Is it CPanel hosting?
Me too, Would be interesting to see how 20i compares to Krystal on the reseller packages. Shame it doesnt say what the difference is between e.g. the reseller 'normal' hosting and the wordpress hosting.

Anyone here using 20i? I'd be interested.

Last edited:
@Blossom and do you do VPS or Dedi

And is there an uptime guarantee/SLA that's actually worth having - i.e. with penalties

Vidahost support is now actively trying to help. Current response includes: "regrettably I believe it's due to the server resources, allocated for your server."

Not sure whether this is a cryptic way of admitting "we're spreading it thin" or preamble to an upgrade sell yet :)

Did also raise an issue about image caching which we will look at but nothing to justify random 30 min+ downtime

Also, it's a bit late for this issue but can anyone recommend a good uptime monitoring service?

It's not budget hosting that we have with Vidahost! We moved to them from Rackspace and I have generally been happy with two exceptions.

Firstly, the quality of service is definitely going down hill. They make a lot of poor assumptions without actually looking at the specifics of your account (assume you're on a Linux VPS rather than a dedicated Windows server for instance).

Secondly, they've been affected by DDoS multiple times in the past 18 months or so, and recovery time has been poor.

I'm looking for a Rackspace quality host, without the crazy Rackspace prices (their pricing model seems to be designed to push people away from dedicated, towards cloud).

We should all club together and put it out to tender

I bet acorners collectively spend 6 figures+ on hosting

Or... form our own massively profitable hosting company and sell out to GoDaddy, then all move elsewhere :)

Last edited:
I still hear nothing but good things about Melbourne hosting, Manchester based and they destroy rackspace price wise. I have friends there so I keep meaning to pop over for a proper tour and a chat but not in the market yet..

Their office always looks fun in my friends photos and the almost any-sun-excuse-for-beers-beef-on-roof summer parties seems awesome on friends facebooks. http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ne---is-this-the-coolest-place-to-work-687053

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom