Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Why aren't people buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A url can already be pretty much anything, .travel, .biz, .org, but it's the public that define what is preferred and trusted and above all people value familiarity, which is why I think .co.uk still has a value.

I notice also that a lot of old members with good portfolios and some with great portfolios are not involving themselves in discussions.
I suppose it's down to strategy.

I disagree... I think there will soon be a shift when the average users realises that urls don't have to contain a www. on the front and a meaningless .com / .co.uk / .biz or whatever on the end.

search.google is much better than google.co.uk or google.com

I disagree... I think there will soon be a shift when the average users realises that urls don't have to contain a www. on the front and a meaningless .com / .co.uk / .biz or whatever on the end.

really ?

I know it's subjective but yes - but it works better for me..

Why should we be limited to a defined set of suffixes when we're not limited with prefixes?

Really when traveling last year you see the whole cctld come into its own when you search for news back home you want .co.uk looking for info on a local service you want the local variant.

to me google.co.uk is more natural than uk.search.google

This would hold true for most multinationals with a massive brands imho

End users are buying .co.uk - So far this month 9 at £1,200 each (averaged) and a handful are closing soon.

Last edited:
End users are buying .co.uk - So far this month 9 at £1,200 each (averaged) and a handful are closing soon.

Would you have expected these, on average, to sell for a higher price 2+ years ago - or relatively no change?

I'm jealous! ;) Please send some of your traffic this way!

Would say relatively consistent, some months can dip. More sales would be achieved if I conceded to lower offers but that would tend to depress the higher value achievements. Surprisingly the domains that do sell have hardly any traffic and is not brought up by the buyer in negotiations.

Google over-inflated the market due to EMD bonuses crazy leg up, then they kicked it back down and along came nominet to put the nail in the coffin.

I don't think Nominet are playing much of a part in this. They're only affecting a very small subset of domains that potentially lose out to a predating .org.uk

At this point in time I'm not overly worried about buying a .co.uk as long as it predates everything else. You're going to get the .uk no matter how they do it (earliest reg, all to .co.uk, pairing for life) so I don't see that being a concern for a buyer now?

The main issue is Google. Taking down the emd benefit combined with rapidly improving the rankings of sites they see as 'brands' was the end of a lot of lower end emd's. I think in the space of 6-12 months, emd's that would have been worth £1000-2000 were suddenly no longer worth reg fee.

Of apparently 250million or so domains registered only 14% are estimated to have any real value. Even out of this 14% the range of value is epic from zillions to reg fee.

Now they introduce 1400 new tld and people will say that the 200million or so registered domains that are already considered by experts to be valueless are now valueless because of the new tlds.

The 14% that do have value, it's a struggle for me to see how they will be affected. No one is preferring Hotel.com to Hotel.London is my reasoning.

The other issue is you can realease a million tld's what difference is it going to make if good quality sites aren't built on them. The general public going to build these sites to give these new tld's value? When they can knock up a facebook/twitter/instagram pages etc in seconds and for free they going to go to the trouble of building millions of sites on these new tlds.

And even if people do how many are truly going to enhance the world wide web?

No I think the new tld's, vast majority of revenue generated will in fact be a tax increase via the backdoor on developer internet activity. I've read reports that Blue Chip business could face domain renewel bills of up to 200k a year to cover every single suffix that will be available.

You will then get some absolute world class domains out of this that do go on to make some sort of impact via a start up but these stories will be few and far between. Rest I guess will go to local businesses. I can see people registering Fulham.London which for me utterly pointless but folks will do it just to feel better and we'll enter a new era of completely superfluous domain regs which is what this is actually all about.

They will then dilute the number of visitors to any particular dotcom or .co.uk but one should not rush to assume that affects the price of that dotcom. All human endeavor is relative not absolute. If the donuts.com gets a million visitors a month and after the tld expansion only gets 600k visitors a month as long as it's still getting the MOST visitors its price will not only not diminish but may even increase as the market reasons is a reliable solution to increased market competition. Dunno if this is good analogy but no matter how many houses we build doesn't seem to affect the price for homes in say Kensington does it?

Someone once said in here, there's no point owning a domain unless you believe in it enough to develop it yourself, if you don't rate that highly don't expect others to. I kinda generally agree with this.

I've had a few interesting conversations about signage with potential and existing clients.

One client said "if I can't remember a domain name I remember a business name and I often type bizname.com, then bizname.co.uk, when its bizname.club or bizname.wtf how are people going to know what to try, I'll still try .com/.co.uk then goto google."

I wonder how many others try .com/.co.uk like this ?

I'm still buying, but not as much, I anticipate some lean times ahead so I'm preparing for this and just buying bargains :)

Nominet meeting tomorrow.

"We would like to thank everyone who took the time to read the proposals and respond. We received 313 consultation responses, as well as feedback from four roundtable sessions, stakeholder meetings, emails and a webinar.

The feedback will be reviewed by our Board at their next meeting on 29th October. Once a decision has been reached on the way forward, we will publish submissions, where permission has been given to do so, and an assessment of the impact of the current proposal. We expect to publish our update in early November."

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom