20i Domains

why new GTLDS .FAIL

Discussion in 'Domain Research' started by humble pie, May 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sdsinc Iceland

sdsinc Active Member

The article is spot on, so true.

I understand that people don't want to pay a premium to domain 'squatters' (that is, us :p), for a personal site or some low-key project. I would generally buy a regfee domains as well.
    But you say this is a new business venture. I think you should have an initial budget for advertising, that includes business cards, stationary, possibly a TM application and a domain name. These are business expenses for tax purposes.

Personally I have set up a number of businesses, and bought many domains, mainly for credibility reasons. In fact I am extremely happy to own better domain names than my competitors. Especially when theirs are not memorable or advertising-friendly. It helps offset the new guy in town label :D

Also, I have always said that new TLDs are not a threat to domainers. People always have had plenty of opportunies if they don't want to pay a premium. It's not business lost to domainers. They might even come back to us after experiencing their branding failures.

A couple of times, we have also been contacted by end users using similar but inferior variants of domains that we own, because they thought we were getting E-mail intended for them.
    Which was actually true sometimes. A major embarrassment, not to mention some confidentiality issues...

A lousy name can save you money on initial acquisition fees but comes with many hidden costs that must be understood...

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. UncleBob United Kingdom

UncleBob Active Member

which kind of underlines my point, but it's not an argument as far as i can see.

some businesses as part of their marketing no doubt would get some use off of a .ninja domain, but not as many as would with a .com or .co.uk

hear hear, chap. i am kind of hoping to raise my boys to make their own fortunes, as big as they like or as much as they are content with, rather than have them rely on me!

4. humble pie United Kingdom

humble pie Banned

I think we're reaching a kind of desperation phase with all the investment in .wales on here at the moment, its as if they've finally struck gold in their domaining career.

This is isn't to say you won't flip one via Edwin's 'greater fool' principle, so I guess it is ok to take a punt on a few..why not join the party!

But it must be laughable really when you consider a country with only 3 million population - of which most are probably still on dial-up and windows 2000, and then consider what a flop .US currently is relative to the .wales market size.

5. noonoo1

noonoo1 Retired Member

I think you should know that I'm at the coal face on this one if you excuse the analogy. I go to networking business meetings regularly and i can tell you that it's not hype thats going around businesses I meet but a huge enthusiasm for .wales & .cymru. There are many Welsh speaking businesses that would rather use .cymru than .co.uk .uk or .com because its all about identity and being proud of who you are and where you're business is grown from. If its good enough for the Welsh gov then its good enough for business in Wales.
    Its worth the investment for me.
    :D

6. humble pie United Kingdom

humble pie Banned

I can only imagine the clientele attending your networking meetings, are they going to understand the implications of using these extensions down the line. The fact the welsh gov uses a .wales hardly fills one with confidence does it?

Anyway.. whats wrong with being proud of the fact your from the .UK?

7. sdsinc Iceland

sdsinc Active Member

I think it's not a good proposition when you have to choose between .wales between .cymru.
    Which one is supposed to depict Wales best ?
    Not taking sides here, just wondering...

The situation gets tricky with generic extensions when you have several redundant, competing extensions like .photo .photography .pics .pictures etc
    This is was one of the numerous points raised in the article.
    End result: dilution.

I think it is downright criminal on the part of icann to allow this mess to happen.

8. Jamie101 Netherlands

Jamie101 Well-Known Member

http://endless.horse

See, not all these new extensions are crap.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

9. scottmccloud

scottmccloud Well-Known Member

There's a .horse?

I've just checked and sadly someone's already registered mylovely.horse.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.