Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Wordpress Directory advice needed please

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can help us please. We're looking at launching some directory sites and my wife has recently subscribed to geodirectory and paid a subscription for up to 5 sites. Now the support is good and my wife is building our first directory site. However the regional aspect doesn't seem to fit the uk too well - mainly cities and regions whereas we'd like to focus on counties of the uk.

The first site we're looking to build focuses on an expensive auto product and related services. It really suits a directory split into counties and we're looking to put together a simple, easy to search, geographical site. My wife did consider a wordpress theme spotguide, which seemed well suited to uk, but there weren't many subscribers (compared to geodirectory) so we've left that one for now.

Just wondered if anyone here can give advice based on experience of setting up a purely uk focused directory. Any help greatly appreciated. Our wordpress skills are pretty basic, although we've got a few sites launched in past year.

Is there a reason you can't just move the decimal point one place left if that makes sense ? Just map your counties to cities, then town to regions ?

Surely you can call them what ever you like ?

Hi Dee - Gill here. Many thanks for your advice. Yes I had thought of allocating the county as a 'city' etc but thought this may cause unforeseen complications down the line when people were searching by city/town (unless everything was consistently renamed throughout the theme). There are other manual ways around it and I am happy with the theme (and support is v. good). However, I haven't actually tried any other directory themes and was wondering if there were some other 'UK/county' friendly themes out there that people could recommend for me to also try out.

thanks Dee - I'll have another look - listify looks interesting

Does geodirectory support “States”? If it’s primarily US focused you’d think it would... If so, just rename the output “counties” and job done!

I just had a quick look as im after something potentially similar and the basic seems theme seems to support

countries>regions>cities

Surely you just map (county>region) & (town/village > city ) ? Or did i miss the point completely

Hi Dee and Edwin. Gill here again. Thanks for your advice. Yes - you are right: county would normally go in 'region' and any city/town/village would normally go in 'city' (and these would both be searceable in the location switcher). However, my original intention was to add the 'popular locations' widget, rename it 'counties', and set it to max. of 48 (i.e. 48 counties). However, the location widget only 'picks up' cities. You're absolutely right though - you can rename/reallocate as required or manually set up the 'county' links without using the widgets at all. However, as this is the first directory I've used I was just wondering what other UK friendly directories were out there that I could also try out.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Auctions Ending - Flip.uk

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom