Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Admin from Canada says Hi

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I am the admin at dn.ca which is a similar forum talking about .ca domain names in Canada.

I read the news that Acorn Forums was recently sold to Helmuts Meskonis and I realized that I have never introduced myself to your community.

So first off I would like to congratulate Helmuts for investing into such an important asset and secondly I would like to say hello to everyone here.

I have been domaining since early 2000 and I invest mainly in .ca & .com domains and I usually keep a minimum of 1000 domains active depending on what I buy and sell.

Although I do not purchase any .co.uk or .uk domains I thought it was important to introduce myself because I don't know of too many regional forums in the world.

- We are from Canada
- I know of one in Australia
- There is one in India
- And there is this on from the UK

There are 2-3 others but they are not regional so they don't necessarily fit onto that group.

Anyways, I'm glad I found you guys and I will make an effort to check in every once in a while, especially if I have something to share from your neck of the woods.

Hey @MapleDots,

Sam here aka wizard hope your well I have seen you on other forums I am sure you moved away from that other forum as things changed lots I am a member on NP and this one I am really into my UK domains just like .ca we have a passion for our CCTLDS so yes would be good to get feedback from you on how the market is going on in Canada.

I know @atlas is from Canada but he also loves his UK domains :)

Hello everyone

I am the admin at dn.ca which is a similar forum talking about .ca domain names in Canada.

I read the news that Acorn Forums was recently sold to Helmuts Meskonis and I realized that I have never introduced myself to your community.

So first off I would like to congratulate Helmuts for investing into such an important asset and secondly I would like to say hello to everyone here.

I have been domaining since early 2000 and I invest mainly in .ca & .com domains and I usually keep a minimum of 1000 domains active depending on what I buy and sell.

Although I do not purchase any .co.uk or .uk domains I thought it was important to introduce myself because I don't know of too many regional forums in the world.

- We are from Canada
- There is one in India

There are 2-3 others but they are not regional so they don't necessarily fit onto that group.

Anyways, I'm glad I found you guys and I will make an effort to check in every once in a while, especially if I have something to share from your neck of the woods.

Hello Sam

In Canada our dropping domains are called TBR (To Be Released) and they are managed by CIRA.ca

The most active part on our community is a tight group of domainers that watch and participate in the weekly TBR

I don't much care for the big forums because I find them to be rather unfriendly at times. I think it's all the competition with the .com'ers and the new TLD's. Sometimes it can get downright nasty and quite honestly my policy is always to be nice. I figure everyone has a right to own what they feel comfortable with and not everyone had a chance to buy cherry .com's 20 years ago.

Once you regionalize it and remove that aspect the community gets much more civilized because it shares a common interest. So when I pulled away from the big forums and started dn.ca it quickly grew into one of the friendliest forums on the web because on average Canadians are a friendly bunch to begin with.

I like the Australian forum too, I was surprised how active their local community is and I remember visiting Acorn once a long time ago and I simply forgot about it. When I saw the news article the other day I decided to investigate and sure enough you guys have a vibrant community as well.

So i'm glad to see some of the regional sites and I predict there will be a lot more of this moving forward until most of the ccTLD's are represented by a regional forum.

Very nice forum. Impressive job!

Yeah, we have so many custom scripts and modifications installed that every upgrade is a chore.

Are you running current Xenforro?

I like your coloured toolbars when posting, is that an addon?

Yeah, we have so many custom scripts and modifications installed that every upgrade is a chore.

Are you running current Xenforro?

I like your coloured toolbars when posting, is that an addon?

Hi, I understand that you are having already private conversations with our Admin - Felix :)

Best wishes!
Helmuts

p.s. would you like to attend the London DOmain Summit this August?

Acorn should probably introduce a policy that advertising other forums is not allowed.

Hello everyone

- We are from Canada
- There is one in India

Welcome to Acorndomains.co.uk !!!

Thank you guys, I'm quite enjoying being here, everyone is polite and friendly.

Any serious domainer (domaining business) will pick their words carefully, you never know who is reading and it could easily be a future client. Leaving a positive internet signature will only help your sales when someone researches your name/company upon considering a domain.

My opinion is to run my internet profile no different than I would if the person was in front of me. If I don't like something I politely decline.

Seems to me like a lot of people across the pond get that message and that looks good on the industry as a whole.

Thank you guys, I'm quite enjoying being here, everyone is polite and friendly.

Any serious domainer (domaining business) will pick their words carefully, you never know who is reading and it could easily be a future client. Leaving a positive internet signature will only help your sales when someone researches your name/company upon considering a domain.

My opinion is to run my internet profile no different than I would if the person was in front of me. If I don't like something I politely decline.

Seems to me like a lot of people across the pond get that message and that looks good on the industry as a whole.

Thank you. Yes, the Acorn is awesome :)

also, you might wish to add a signature text to remind us also of your CA dn forum.

Best wishes!
Helmuts

p.s. could you be tempted to visit London Domain Summit this August? Let us meet in person and see what business can be done together :)

London is on my Wish list, I have traveled most of Europe and was telling my wife a little while back that London was on the list to visit.

There is no signature option, seems to be restricted and I don't do commerce with .co.uk domains to upgrading is not an option for me.

London is on my Wish list, I have traveled most of Europe and was telling my wife a little while back that London was on the list to visit.

There is no signature option, seems to be restricted and I don't do commerce with .co.uk domains to upgrading is not an option for me.

@Admin can you please look into this for our Canadian colleague? :)

So how come some people have this for free ?
This is an excellent question. I created a free member account and explored all available options, but I could not find anything resembling a signature feature. It is possible that there was some arrangement with the previous forum owner. @Helmuts, could you please get in touch with the previous owner and investigate this matter?

We allow signatures at all member levels at dn and we run on donations and sponsorships.
So in other words everything is voluntary.

I find forcing people into subscriptions reduces traffic flow.
Instead I like to say ...

- If you are getting value from dn.ca please consider donating to help with our expenses.

- If you are a business using dn.ca to conduct commerce please consider sponsoring our site to show your support.

Every website sets their own rules and procedures but things like signatures keep members engaged because they like to showcase their domains.
The more engagement you have the busier the site gets and the busier the site gets the more sponsors jump aboard.

So for us the voluntary system works well but we do reserve a set of features for verified members and/or sponsors.

Last edited:

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom