Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Approaching company to buy domain with trademarked term?

Reaction score
Hi,

Would love any input here.

I bought a dictionary word domain last year, one you probably wouldn't use in your day to day life but it's not an obscure word.

I just saw that it's up for renewal and did a bit of googling and found a company in the UK who trade under [my-domain-word]media.co.uk.

I also checked and they own the trademark to that word in their industry.

I am wondering if it's fine to approach them to purchase the domain and if this is something people have done/do?

Would appreciate your replies!

Thanks

You'd possibly be giving them reason to grab the domain via DRS, with proof that its a bad faith registration (ie bought with intention of selling to them ) ??

You'd possibly be giving them reason to grab the domain via DRS, with proof that its a bad faith registration (ie bought with intention of selling to them ) ??

Thanks for your reply. Yes this was my worry. I thought it was a good domain to buy, I didn't know they existed at the time. I've have had it almost a year but haven't had time to do anything with it so thought selling to them would be a good option.

I think if its a genuine generic dictionary word and could apply to various businesses you may be okay if they did a DRS, but the approaching them bit may be giving them ammunition to use against you.

Think there are a few here who have been through similar. Hopefully someone will see

I think if its a genuine generic dictionary word and could apply to various businesses you may be okay if they did a DRS, but the approaching them bit may be giving them ammunition to use against you.

Think there are a few here who have been through similar. Hopefully someone will see

Thanks again, I guess approaching them may not be the smartest move. It just got me thinking as I got an email saying it's up for renewal. Maybe just renewing is my best bet.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom