Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Buy One Get One Free from Nominet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Seems they at least put it on both 1 and 2 yr registrations.

All Extensions under .UK.

The bold means you can't have bob.co.uk and smith.co.uk has to be bob.co.uk and bob.org.uk so not such a great deal.

Applies to all qualifying new registrations by member registrars; non-members continue to pay £80 + vat
Applies to: .uk, .co.uk, .org.uk and .me.uk regardless of order; the first qualifying domain registered is charged for, the second is free
Applies to 1 year and 2 year new registrations only
Registrations will only qualify if they are for the same time period, i.e. a mix of a 1 and 2 year registration will not qualify
To qualify new registrations must meet the following criteria:
Same string
Same registrant name and email address (at the point of registration)
Same tag
Both be registered within a 7 day period (defined as 168 hours - a domain registered at 8:02:01 on a Monday would qualify until 8:02:00 the following Monday)
Applies from Tuesday 1 September 8:00, BST until Friday 30 October midday 12:00, GMT
There are no restriction on the number an individual can purchase
Each domain only qualifies for one free domain; e.g. if three qualifying domains are bought, two will be charged and one will be free
If a qualifying domain is deleted, the remaining domain will be charged. If another qualifying domain is bought within the 7 day timeframe, this will qualify as free
Registrars will not be required to sign up or agree to specific T&Cs, and may choose not to pass on the bundle discount
Invoicing will display the free domains with a zero price
Accredited Channel Partners may opt in to be featured on the registrar spinner on agreatplacetobe.uk, provided they offer the ‘Buy One Get One Free’ promotion as part of their check out process, and they provide the information and landing page required

The italics is interesting.

Email from Nominet today:

***Buy One Get One Free***

We will soon be celebrating the 30 year anniversary of the .UK namespace with a Buy One Get One Free promotion from 1 September to 30 October 2015. We appreciate that not all registrars will be able to participate, however each qualifying registration will be free of charge to all our registrars. For the full campaign details please go to - http://registrars.nominet.org.uk/marketing-tools-and-events/30anniversary

So for a month, I get .uk free on my .co.uk drop catches.

Brilliant, was getting them anyway.

Seems stupid Nominet side, giving away product.

It's not like they are .whatever and have to resort to such tactics.

Last edited:
This is all about pushing .UK if you ask me. After creating a clusterf#ck, they are trying to make it look popular and show growth.

The order they list it .uk, .co.uk, org.uk etc says something, so I think the free domain to get domainers taking the .UK where they currently don't, and on the other side get the registrars to push .XYZ by giving them free, oh wait not xyz, I mean .UK :p

This is all about pushing .UK if you ask me. After creating a clusterf#ck, they are trying to make it look popular and show growth.

And the part I bolded is a good thing, right?

If we start from the assumption that .uk exists (i.e. the situation NOW rather than 18 months ago) then surely it can only be beneficial to see it taken up and used as widely as possible - otherwise things are going to get very messy in 4 years time.

The "is there a need for .uk" argument has been had and won/lost - either way, it's definitively over now since .uk is here and there is no rational scenario in which Nominet would "switch .uk off" again. So what we are left with is the consequences.

And the part I bolded is a good thing, right?

If we start from the assumption that .uk exists (i.e. the situation NOW rather than 18 months ago) then surely it can only be beneficial to see it taken up and used as widely as possible - otherwise things are going to get very messy in 4 years time.

The "is there a need for .uk" argument has been had and won/lost - either way, it's definitively over now since .uk is here and there is no rational scenario in which Nominet would again. So what we are left with is the consequences.

No one is asking for Nominet to "switch .uk off" as far as I can see, I think we're all aware it's here to stay. But that shouldn't stop any discussion over points where Nominet appear to be doing patch-ups of its shabby decisions.

No one is asking for Nominet to "switch .uk off" as far as I can see, I think we're all aware it's here to stay. But that shouldn't stop any discussion over points where Nominet appear to be doing patch-ups of its shabby decisions.

My point was simply this: it is more productive/useful to discuss the "how" not the mess that has got us here. Otherwise, we have the situation in which pretty much every thread that mentions .uk veers into "Nominet were &*%& for launching it" and gets sidetracked as a result.

I think there's a very strong, obvious consensus that .uk was misguided. Why can't we take that as read, and move on to focus on the situation now and how it could possibly be improved*?

*for example, Nominet's 2-for-1 offer qualifies as an "improvement" (maybe not a big one, but it is at least a step in the right direction)

BTW haven't sold one .uk yet.

Where I have both, they just buy the .co.uk.

Anyone else just sold a .uk on it's own (end users sales)?

BTW haven't sold one .uk yet.

Where I have both, they just buy the .co.uk.

Anyone else just sold a .uk on it's own (end users sales)?

No, and I took the blurb about the .uk off my sales lander as I found it just confused potential buyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom