Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Cambridge University files UDRP on Cambridge.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange indeed, as the university isnt a representation of the entire City. I cant see why they would even think they have the right to the place name.

... I cant see why they would even think they have the right to the place name.

Perhaps because they have a long-standing trademark, which includes class 41 for

"Provision of training, teaching, examination and assesment services including computer assisted and computer mediated services and on-line services, and the provision of distance learning programmes."

for the mark "Cambridge" & the respondent appears to be advertising services in the same class?

If the University's case is well researched & well made, I can see them winning this one. Given the site's content, the respondent isn't going to be able to claim he has never heard of them, is he?

Perhaps because they have a long-standing trademark, which includes class 41 for

"Provision of training, teaching, examination and assesment services including computer assisted and computer mediated services and on-line services, and the provision of distance learning programmes."

for the mark "Cambridge" & the respondent appears to be advertising services in the same class?

If the University's case is well researched & well made, I can see them winning this one. Given the site's content, the respondent isn't going to be able to claim he has never heard of them, is he?

Wow they've certainly covered as many bases as possible lol

I wonder why the current user puts "education" in the Website title, doesn't seem to be relevant to the site content so maybe that's what caught their attention.

Admin

I wouldnt mind betting that Gimpy was correct that the sales page hasnt helped, it wouldnt surprise me if the owners contacted the University to maybe solicit a sale........maybe alerting them of the possibility. :rolleyes:

The "education and e-learning" at the top, you could think they're the university suggesting online courses; I could see it confusing people.

There are adverts for e-learning, plus adverts for other universities, all against the backdrop of photos of Cambridge University. That suggests the Uni has a good chance to me, if researched and presented well.

Looking again they also list many online universities, not based in Cambridge (the city). If this is a geo then why would they publish such information, unless their intention is to capitalise upon Cambridge University's reputation?

There's quite a lot of discussion about this udrp over on thedomains.com blog including a large dash of emotionally driven, devoid of any facts, comments along the lines of "how dare they file this".

They seem to be focusing totally on the domain name itself without looking what is actually on it.

There's quite a lot of discussion about this udrp over on thedomains.com blog including a large dash of emotionally driven, devoid of any facts, comments along the lines of "how dare they file this".

That's just the default position of faux-outrage from the domainers' union.

I'm guessing that the bloke started with a typical low-risk, low-reward geo travel guide type site, found that the type-in traffic didn't want to book a hotel room, so he expanded the site content to something more in line with what the visitors were looking for.

Why on Earth he recently added the "for sale" page & whether there were any negotiations with the Uni., we shall have to wait & see.

Cheaper than buying it? So maybe for them worth the punt didn’t think they’ve had that many UDRP ?
http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/...mm=07&end_date_yyyy=2015&lang_code=EN&rows=20

I’d suspect there objections will go along the same lines oxford-online albeit many moons ago.
http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2001/d2001-0975.html harder for a singular generic geo but about there only go at it I would have thought?

udrp is law onto itself so maybe there hoping the panel will consist of old oxford graduates :lol:

Last edited:
Just goes to show you can register and use a domain quite legitimately without problems for many years, but if you later put up some content that gets a bit too close for comfort to a TM holder, the position changes and they might have enough to challenge you and seize a valuable asset. Best to make sure the website content is focused on its main topic so there can be no accusations of confusion.

This UDRP doesn't surprise me at all.
The university has a good track record, so I am surprised they are only acting now.
I would say that the heavy focus on education and online courses on cambridge.com doesn't exactly help.

For some reason, it reminds me of the epic case of octopus.com.
Sometimes people make life unnecessarily difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom