Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Cambridge University files UDRP on Cambridge.com

Discussion in 'Domain Name Disputes' started by scottmccloud, Jul 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottmccloud

scottmccloud Well-Known Member

2. gimpydog United Kingdom

gimpydog Active Member

The "For Sale" page probably won't help their cause.

The University has a pretty good track record, so far.

3. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member

Strange indeed, as the university isnt a representation of the entire City. I cant see why they would even think they have the right to the place name.

4. gimpydog United Kingdom

gimpydog Active Member

Perhaps because they have a long-standing trademark, which includes class 41 for

"Provision of training, teaching, examination and assesment services including computer assisted and computer mediated services and on-line services, and the provision of distance learning programmes."

for the mark "Cambridge" & the respondent appears to be advertising services in the same class?

If the University's case is well researched & well made, I can see them winning this one. Given the site's content, the respondent isn't going to be able to claim he has never heard of them, is he?

5. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member

Wow they've certainly covered as many bases as possible lol

6. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

I wonder why the current user puts "education" in the Website title, doesn't seem to be relevant to the site content so maybe that's what caught their attention.

Admin

7. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member

I wouldnt mind betting that Gimpy was correct that the sales page hasnt helped, it wouldnt surprise me if the owners contacted the University to maybe solicit a sale........maybe alerting them of the possibility. :rolleyes:

8. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

The "education and e-learning" at the top, you could think they're the university suggesting online courses; I could see it confusing people.

9. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

There's quite a lot of discussion about this udrp over on thedomains.com blog including a large dash of emotionally driven, devoid of any facts, comments along the lines of "how dare they file this". There's a screen capture of the homepage and the sole photograph depicting Cambridge, UK (one of two, with the other referring to another city with the same name) appears to be of the University of Cambridge. I hope this will be a well researched complaint but have no idea whether it will succeed or not, since I haven't seen it.

(from iPhone)

10. BeachLife United Kingdom

BeachLife Active Member

There are adverts for e-learning, plus adverts for other universities, all against the backdrop of photos of Cambridge University. That suggests the Uni has a good chance to me, if researched and presented well.

11. BeachLife United Kingdom

BeachLife Active Member

Looking again they also list many online universities, not based in Cambridge (the city). If this is a geo then why would they publish such information, unless their intention is to capitalise upon Cambridge University's reputation?

12. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

They seem to be focusing totally on the domain name itself without looking what is actually on it.

13. gimpydog United Kingdom

gimpydog Active Member

That's just the default position of faux-outrage from the domainers' union.

I'm guessing that the bloke started with a typical low-risk, low-reward geo travel guide type site, found that the type-in traffic didn't want to book a hotel room, so he expanded the site content to something more in line with what the visitors were looking for.

Why on Earth he recently added the "for sale" page & whether there were any negotiations with the Uni., we shall have to wait & see.

14. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

Cheaper than buying it? So maybe for them worth the punt didn’t think they’ve had that many UDRP ?
    http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/...mm=07&end_date_yyyy=2015&lang_code=EN&rows=20

I’d suspect there objections will go along the same lines oxford-online albeit many moons ago.
    http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2001/d2001-0975.html harder for a singular generic geo but about there only go at it I would have thought?

udrp is law onto itself so maybe there hoping the panel will consist of old oxford graduates :lol:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  15. philiporchard United Kingdom

philiporchard Well-Known Member

Come on Ed...

Surely you have some thoughts on this ;)

16. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member

Im glad im not the only one who was hoping to see Edwins views lol

17. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Not really, no.

18. bensd United Kingdom

bensd Well-Known Member

I'm sure you do :)

Appreciate you might not want to air them on a public forum though!

19. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

20. jasman United Kingdom

jasman Active Member

Just goes to show you can register and use a domain quite legitimately without problems for many years, but if you later put up some content that gets a bit too close for comfort to a TM holder, the position changes and they might have enough to challenge you and seize a valuable asset. Best to make sure the website content is focused on its main topic so there can be no accusations of confusion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.