Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

change of registrant for .org.uk name

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi. I am looking for advice on a .org.uk name. I bought a hosting package with a .org.uk name included of my choice. I assumed that the host company would be registering it in my name as I was asked to provide my details etc as normal. I looked it up on who is and it has been registered to the host company. Obviously I was miffed because if I build any value into the site then they will charge me for my own work. So I asked them to transfer it into my name before I renew my hosting contract with them for this year. (The domain comes up for renewal in April2007). They agreed to do this but have now replied that they cant...I quote

"yes I have been experiencing difficulties in registering the domain in your name. I didn't realise the domain was a .org.uk as the registrant first name, last name & organization cannot be changed for these after registering, although I can change the address. Hands up, it is completely my fault as this should of been sorted when the domain name was initially paid for by yourself.
I'm not quite sure where to take it from here.
If you have any suggestions, I would be more than glad to hear them."

As I thought they knew more than me I am at a loss as to whetherthis is genuine, or a legitimate problem. What is my best way forward.
Thanks in anticipation of some help

Wortle said:
Hi. I am looking for advice on a .org.uk name. I bought a hosting package with a .org.uk name included of my choice. I assumed that the host company would be registering it in my name as I was asked to provide my details etc as normal. I looked it up on who is and it has been registered to the host company. Obviously I was miffed because if I build any value into the site then they will charge me for my own work. So I asked them to transfer it into my name before I renew my hosting contract with them for this year. (The domain comes up for renewal in April2007). They agreed to do this but have now replied that they cant...I quote

"yes I have been experiencing difficulties in registering the domain in your name. I didn't realise the domain was a .org.uk as the registrant first name, last name & organization cannot be changed for these after registering, although I can change the address. Hands up, it is completely my fault as this should of been sorted when the domain name was initially paid for by yourself.
I'm not quite sure where to take it from here.
If you have any suggestions, I would be more than glad to hear them."

As I thought they knew more than me I am at a loss as to whetherthis is genuine, or a legitimate problem. What is my best way forward.
Thanks in anticipation of some help

Is the hosting company the same as the Registrant's Agent managing the domain name? I get the feeling that they are not. Regardless, the hosting company can transfer the domain name to you via a Registrant Transfer. This will cost about £35. Either party can pay for it. Since they made the error, maybe they should pay for it.

If this were a situation where the hosting company was holding the domain name "hostage", you could consider the Dispute Resolution Service (DRS). That can cost upwards of £750 + VAT if it got to the point where you needed to obtain a decision from one of the Independent Experts. From what you have said above it doesn't sound like the hosting company are holding the domain name hostage; rather they made a mistake when they registered the domain name (by registering it under their name instead of yours). If it turns out that they are, and you decide to DRS, you can find some relevant case examples here for this issue under section 6.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum :)

Ask the host to email [email protected] to get a transfer form, get them to fill out the first bits and forward to you, you then fill out the last bits and forward to Nominet. Then the name will be in your name.

There is a £35.25 fee to Nominet, but I would have thought if its a cock up on their part they would be happy to cover it.

As for if it is genuine... it could be or it could not be. .org.uk and .co.uk have the same manner of registrations so its possible I suppose it was a cock up.

If they do not play ball you could either take legal action or attempt to DRS the name depending on circumstances.

Cheers,
Rob.

Thanks for your help guys

OK I will take your advice and see how it goes.

I feel it is a genuine error and would like to give them a chance to reprieve themselves if possible before doing any drastic name calling!

I've sent them mail with the address of this forum so they can get the jist if they want.

:D

PS Be patient with the newbie, how do I set up an automated copy of your replies to my email?

Last edited:
quote [automated copy of your replies]

top of forum.
subscribe to thread
allow to email

-aqls-

Wortle said:
OK I will take your advice and see how it goes.

I feel it is a genuine error and would like to give them a chance to reprieve themselves if possible before doing any drastic name calling!

I would suggest that you contact our support team - [email protected] and get our advice as well. At the very least it gives us info on which of our tag holders are making registrations like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom