Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Complicated domain purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

ian

Reaction score
I've been in negotiation with a .co.uk domain owner who use to use it for their business but no longer need it. We've agreed upon a price (low £xxx) but the owner can't remember how he originally set it up, and the email address he "thinks" he used is no longer available, so attempting to login via Nominet is pointless, as he can't verify the link.

I've suggested he tried to contact the host of the domain but he doesn't know the login details there either.

Is there an easy solution to this I can suggest, as he's said it isn't worth the hassle!

Do a whois on the domain name to establish which registrar it is with. Try and use the email address and password to login. If you can get access then you can change the email address of the domain name and use the new email address with Nominet. If login does not work he may be able to get access at the registrar phoning or livechat to verify himself?

The only other option is to re-astablish identity with Nominet, but he doesnt sound to keen on something that will take a bit of time... https://secure.nominet.org.uk/flows/reestablish-identity.html

If you had a tag, he could just change the tag to your tag and you could initiate the transfer.

As it stands, he can contact his host and ask them to initiate a transfer.

Shy of that, nominet offer a reidentify (I believe they call it) service, where to you retake ownship by proving you are the owner... for a fee,

Is there an easy solution to this I can suggest, as he's said it isn't worth the hassle!

Ring nominet and ask? they're always very helpful.

He may have to contact them himself and provide some evidence he is who he says and they will help him out.

I have asked him to contact Nominet, but if there is a lengthy process involved (even just sending id etc), he's unlikely to be interested. Also, regarding what skinner said, it wouldn't matter if I have a tag surely, as he can't access "anything" to change it.

Such a shame, nice domain too, but unwilling to go that extra mile for a small amount (not worth much more!)

So he can't access the hosting company either ? So no ability to change dns or anything at all ?

What about his other domains are they with another company ?

How has it been renewed up to this point ?

So he can't access the hosting company either ? So no ability to change dns or anything at all ?

What about his other domains are they with another company ?

How has it been renewed up to this point ?

Can't access anything, the domain was from a now dissolved company and is due for renewal soon. I assume it was renewed when he still owned the company. It is the only domain he has.

Anyway, my loss is your gain, as it is likely to drop given he can't access anything.

Can't access anything, the domain was from a now dissolved company and is due for renewal soon. I assume it was renewed when he still owned the company. It is the only domain he has.

Anyway, my loss is your gain, as it is likely to drop given he can't access anything.

So let's be right on this, is it registered to him, or the dissolved company?

If the registrar could change the tag that would be the easiest way.

The dissolved company part makes this complicated because he'll have to essentially lie to Nominet by saying that the domain was purchased by him prior to the company being dissolved...

Wth words 'loophole', 'blind' and 'eye' spring to mind!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom