Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks GreyWing, I'm fractionally less confused but still irritated by it all, hey ho :roll:

Earlier I was confused now I am getting a tad frustrated because from all of the comments above it is clear there is a lot more to this than first meets the eye.

The suspension system is pointless really because it is so easily and systemically bypassed.

Dropcatching is expensive to set up and by the sounds of things has a limited life span.

The 80/20 rule comes into play as in a few years 80% of names will be held by 20% of domain investors and the drop will not be worth catching.

Nominet have the rules in place to collect the £10 + Vat transfer fee because other than that they are not exactly helping the industry survive, if the above limited life span comes to fruition then they will have no names to transfer simply wait the 90,120 or whatever days for payment.

And if you are just coming to domaining you have more chance of nailing custard to the ceiling than playing on the same field, this is not a complaint simply an observation.

OK on a positive note I still believe there are and will be opportunities if you do your homework, I guess this is what sets me apart from many newbies; I am not afraid to put the effort in to get the result even if I do come on in the 90th minute ;)

Aiden

We must also remember that the UK domain market number is 10% of that of the TLD market we have a manageable amount of drops daily. The .TLD sees hundreds of thousands drop in a day and despite the registrars getting in on it, there is still a market there.

Innovate or die.

Yes there are frustrating aspects of what does appear to shift the balance, but you dont have to take it you can voice those concerns to nominet who are already dealing with such issues in the policy group.

Change will not happen unless we make it happen.

Aiden don't become disillusioned, you are in an exciting an innovative market, that rewards well if you put in the effort and investment. But I share your frustration, and I believe with a little effort it can be brought into line.

If they'd forgotten to pay but there was an agreement in place that they were going to pay then surely Nominet should EITHER consider this a renewal, NOT have the name listed as suspended and simply chase for their payment OR they should have a system where this simply cant happen, ie no payment no name and the name is released on the original drop date for someone else to buy.

I dont see how they can have it both ways, doesnt make sense at all!

Yep but even though the registrar is the one who forgot to pay and maybe the same person who owns the domain. Nominet can't punish the domain holder by cancelling or suspending the name for the registrar not paying their bills even if they are the same people.

At the point where the registrar fails to pay, Nom send the domain holder an email saying your registrar hasn't paid, so you or the registrar has 30 days to pay is or the name gets cancelled.

So in your eyes they are the same people on occasions, but to Nominet the registrar is different to the person who owns the name

We must also remember that the UK domain market number is 10% of that of the TLD market we have a manageable amount of drops daily. The .TLD sees hundreds of thousands drop in a day and despite the registrars getting in on it, there is still a market there.

Innovate or die.

Yes there are frustrating aspects of what does appear to shift the balance, but you dont have to take it you can voice those concerns to nominet who are already dealing with such issues in the policy group.

Change will not happen unless we make it happen.

Aiden don't become disillusioned, you are in an exciting an innovative market, that rewards well if you put in the effort and investment. But I share your frustration, and I believe with a little effort it can be brought into line.

Protest.org.uk is due to drop on the 24/12/11 (book it quick), if it jumps through the hoops, gets over the hurdles and actually drops we can use it to campaign for a level playing field in the UK domain industry :rolleyes:

It should be pointed out that my comments are not to criticise or complain about the way it works at present as people or organisations cannot be responsible for me turning up to the party late.

There does seem to be an underlying discontent and some how I have this uncanny knack of bringing it to the fore.

Aiden

The poor owner of protest will be inundated now with sell it too me requests Lol!

or Mr Mod , you could of course donate it for the greater good seeing as you are so generous.

Sounds like I am starting a mini revolution?

What's a JV?

Last edited:
:) Am I thick or what?

I think we will leave it there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom