Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Do you still type 'www' when visiting a website?

Do you still type 'www' when visiting a website?

• Total voters

ian

Reaction score
Finding myself less and less typing 'www' in the address bar when visiting a website. Whilst most sites open, some still don't auto-forward to their format of choice (annoying). I wonder if we are moving away from the use of www. or is it just me!

If we didn't have .wtf and .secondhandusedjapanesedriftcars and .whatever, I think www would have been long gone, but now when you see ians.digital on a van, how on earth do you know its a website ?

I still prefer www.dom.etc for clarity.

I didn't think I would, but I find myself more and more adopting the method I found my teenage children using a few years ago - just type the name, without www prefix or domain extension, and hit return. Either the browser will pick up the correct domain in time and send you there, or you click the first result in Google.

I think the last time I typed WWW in the address bar, I was probably still on AOL dial up on a 56k modem.

Doesn't CTRL+enter only append the .com or can that be changed these days. There were some nasty hacks way back but I stopped using that when I moved into .uk.

I only type "www." when the domain doesn't resolve otherwise. Many sites are badly configured and require the "www."

I rarely type the 'www' part, in the most cases I think it's faster. Like Skinner & Monaghan both said, If I was using it in advertising, I would add the 'www' for clarity.

It's years since I routinely typed www in the browser address bar.

I do sometimes add it in brochures, posters etc but not always, it depends how the url looks.

Some of the new TLDs don't yet look like URLs so I tend to add www in front of them so that it's more obvious, though they can still look weird and unfamiliar.

Still doing it often. It's almost guaranteed to work, whereas leaving out www often doesn't work.

Couple of months back I bought a sign and print shop.

Just been down there, and raised this with the designers. Now this mainly applies to vehicle graphics and work wear etc as that's the bread and butter work, but they say if they don't put the WWW on the design, next to no one asks for it.

Its mainly the older folk who ask for it, or for Tel: Email: and Web: to prefix their details.

I forgot to add: I also put http:// on the business cards :p

If you use a new extension (I don't), maybe it doesn't hurt the reinforce twice the fact that it's a real URL.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Auctions Ending - Flip.uk

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom