Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Do you use a VPN?

Discussion in 'Business Discussions' started by bonusmedia, Jan 11, 2016.

1. bonusmedia

bonusmedia Well-Known Member

I've been meaning to get a VPN set up for a while as it's crazy to be sending any login details over public wifi. The last hotel I was in had a couple of open wifi networks with a similar name to the hotel one that I'm pretty sure were there for sniffing/phishing.

Does anyone use one, if so which and how have you got on?
    Are there any better suited to business, or for multiple employees?

I'm aware it's possible to build your own with a Raspberry Pi and I might well give it a go (don't understand it but I can follow instructions!). However I don't want to be reliant on my home connection so looking for a commercial service.

I'm asking for myself but we're also going to build a comparison site, could do with a expert or two to help with testing and reviewing if anyone is up for it... or if you know a tech writer point them my way?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Well-Known Member

Not sure about other routers, but the Mikrotik range support SSTP, so if you have a Windows domain you can login via SSTP VPN directly into the domain using your Windows password (you need to setup RADIUS, but that's quite simple these days). I have this configured for a few customers. If I connect into my own systems remotely, then it is via SSH anyway so is encrypted.

If you are connecting to email, then use the SSL options and you should be reasonably secure

4. danielcoates

danielcoates Active Member

I use a VPN to watch US catchup tv and it's only about £40 a year, there are loads of companies out there that provide this service for a reasonable price. Tunnel Bear & Private Internet Access to name a couple.

If it's just secure internet access your after, you could follow this and set one up on an Amazon EC2 server

https://www.webdigi.co.uk/blog/2015...ee-vpn-on-the-amazon-aws-cloud-in-10-minutes/

The same could be transferred to any server you have route access to, with just a few tweaks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Abstroose

Abstroose Guest

I've used Private Internet Access (PIA) for several years.

I used the Windows clients on my PC and Laptop, Android App on my phone, and their SOCKS5 proxy on my NAS for torrenting.

Haven't used any other VPN providers so can't comment on others, but PIA is fast and reliable.

I set up a VPN server on a Raspberry Pi once (more so for accessing my home network, viewing my CCTV etc rather than security). Although it works, the Raspberry Pi is hardly powerful enough to provide a stable, fast connection. I was bottlenecked at around 1Mbps. I wouldn't rely on it to browse but okay to occasionally connect to a home network remotely.

6. bonusmedia

bonusmedia Well-Known Member

Cheers.

We've launched VPNs.co.uk now (work in progress but usable) if anyone is looking for a provider.

7. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

Looks good! Any that still work with Netflix you know of? :)