20i Reseller Hosting

Domainers making themselves look unreasonable

Discussion in '.UK Domain Name Consultations' started by anthony, Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murph United Kingdom

murph Well-Known Member

I recon more and more people don't even bother with the extension, as the address bar can be a search or a URL. Firefox and Chrome both do this. If I'm feeling lazy I'll type the domain "keyword" and click the first result in G to get to the site.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

I don't agree that .co.uk should get automatic rights to a possible .uk. The oldest registrant would seem fairer, however where a ton of .co.uk domains are sat parked or undeveloped etc I don't think it's fair they automatically get the .uk where the other extensions are in developed use/newer registrations etc.

There definitely appears to be some self serving arguments on here though. ;)

4. Stephen United Kingdom

Stephen Well-Known Member

other way around?

Does your point work the other way around if .uk was provided to the oldest domain, should the .me.uk and .org.uk not get the .uk if they are not developed?

Which is the case in the vast majority of instances were the .co.uk loses out under the current .uk proposal,
    when I did my analysis on the top 10,000 UK visited websites.

On first come first served would it not be better to use "oldest owner of a domain" to be fairer than current oldest continual registration?

My self serving argument (which I still believe is best for the UK namespace) of pairing .co.uk and .uk is here for the record:
    http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/uk-domain-name-consultations/119421-last-weekend-consider-supporting-pairing.html#post462758

and under the current .uk proposal my position would be neutral the few .uk I would not get,
    as I own .co.uk rather than oldest domain; would be offset as I own quite a few old .me.uk and .org.uk's.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.