Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Drop cycle

Lol. I really like WordPress and I use it for pretty much everything, but it's surprising to see a company like Nominet using it for the whole website.

They wont be using wordpress on the backend, it will be proxied, they will just be using it on the frontend with cloudflare but easily bypass cloudflare so pointless using them!

Foz, If you look at the html response, "<div class="whois-response" id="couk">" so you could parse the response and retrieve the filtered html based on the id attribute for the given extension if you want to do this automagically.

so todays drops include theproxylist.co.uk which was on yesterdays list, and passyourbiketest.co.uk which is on tomorrows. It's going to be a weird day.

They could well be implementing some Christmas surprises for the end of the month due to all the domains that are going to drop from those registrars that have to release all the free .uk domains they registered "Without permission but Obviously in good faith in case the given client wanted the .uk" kind of like a 2nd RoR

Hi Marshall,

I know Registrars like Fasthosts and Ionos 1&1 registered over 100,000 .uk domains on that basis at the end of June (and Nominet defended this when I challenged them - "to protect the .co.uk registrants from losing the .uks to cybersquatters"...

But I don't understand why you think these .uk domains would drop at "the end of the month" when they're not due to expire until June?

There are a lot of .uk domains due to drop in January, presumably from a previous similar promotion. Mostly around the 18th based on my watchlist.

Can we get this thread back on track to wild conspiracy theories please :)

Yeah now I remember why I stopped posting outside of the auctions. Anyway all is back to 'normal' for now. Nothing to see here. Nominet have been extra helpful and kept us informed every step of the way.

I'm actually pissed that they haven't bothered to respond to me. And I'm more pissed that they haven't bothered to notify anybody anywhere of their intentions.

I've been chasing the same fecking domain for a day and a half now

tenor.gif

Hang tight everybody, Nominet has issued a response to my email:

Hi Ben
Thank you for your message.
Under Nominet’s stated domain lifecycle policy .UK domains can drop at any time after the end of the 90 day expiry period, and domains can be renewed at any time until they drop. Any variation in drop cycle will be in line with our stated domain lifecycle policy.
Unfortunately I’m not able to comment on specific timings or behaviour of the registry systems as there can be fluctuations. I am sorry if you feel this is dishonest. I can absolutely confirm that any changes to this policy will be communicated to all registrars well in advance.
Kind regards,
Paul Wray

Brilliant.

Generic macro responses, nobody does any typing at Nominet they just hit a button. Picture of an actual keyboard at Nominet:

AI7B6792_copy_20171107112642.jpg

Ben, sorry to break it to you because I know you probably felt special from their attention, but nominet sent me and at least one other member the *exact* same email. actually the name was different so still waiting for one that says 'Dear [FIRSTNAME]' :)

Dear [FIRSTNAME],

Thankyou for your email. After talks with the technical department they tell me [INSERT STANDARD REPEAT OF WHAT'S ON WEBSITE].
If you have any further questions please let me know. Have a lovely day.

Yours
R. Sole
Customer relations officer (really...what even is that job? When I ask a 'technical' question I would like a 'technical' person, or at least someone who vaguely understands the question, to answer)

Last edited:
Ben, sorry to break it to you because I know you probably felt special from their attention

I did not. They say pretty much the same thing to me every time. They didn't use to, couple months ago stuff felt a lot more honest and personal. Now it feels like they're deliberately trying to brush my queries under the carpet.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom