Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

ghd.co.uk

Discussion in 'Domain Research' started by grandin, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crabfoot United Kingdom

crabfoot Active Member

ghd?

G o d H e l p D o m a i n i n g !

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. grandin United Kingdom

grandin Well-Known Member

sadly money rules the world

sadly money rules the world and vows seem to come last..........I vowed I would never sell this name then i ran out of a stock pile of cash......good sales could allow me to expand instead of contract.

I have no evidence that any offer is related to 'hairy people' but if i do find that any of the offers are hairy I will offer a special deal..........razors.co.uk will be free to them

GHD term has 550,000 direct seaches per a month thats over 50% of the term HOLIDAYS.........If I could pick up holidays.co.uk for £600,000 I would be happy

Lee

4. retired_member9

retired_member9 Retired Member

How something virtually non-monetizable by you can be compared to the best domain in a travel industry?

GHD can't be worth 6 figures. The buyer should have moved on already leaving you with this acronym and all the possible interpretations one could imagine for it to be "developed".

Next year they will buy .ghd TLD and get everything they could ever want.

5. retired_member21

retired_member21 Retired Member

Personally couldn't agree more (providing they have the worldwide TM)

6. retired_member21

retired_member21 Retired Member

This may be true but you are highlighting 'potential' - they are already at the top of Google, and get the lions share of the natural traffic for the phrase anyway, accompanied by PPC campaign

7. cm1975 United Kingdom

cm1975 Well-Known Member

A domain is worth what someone is willing to pay. Simples.

I thought a .ghd TLD would cost hundreds of thousands to create, and there's nothing to say they would get it if there is competition for it from ghd.com or another.

Even if they were successful in getting .ghd, would the .co.uk still be more widely accepted in the UK than the new TLD?

8. lebowski

lebowski Active Member

Did you really tell them to "get stuffed" or politely state that their offer falls too far short of what you'd accept? What am I missing here that would explain why you'd turn down at least a £200k offer (probably nearer quarter of a million with further negotiation) and so abruptly? :confused:

9. grandin United Kingdom

The Price

I have a price and had offers.........noone has offered my price.

Will I negotiate........No

I didnt say 'get stuffed' but an abrupt 'No' which may come accross as 'get stuffed'

Its very hard to buy a 1999 regd name off me.........some have tried, failed and won............i rarely re-offer names to people who muck me around

10. GreyWing

GreyWing Well-Known Member

Good on you mate, they must know by now not to mess you about.

Although you would be fun to watch on "deal or no deal"

11. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

A quick thought from me. If it is the hair styler people, they have been really successful selling hair straighteners, and I wonder whether they will be able to maintain that momementum, because a lot of their potential customers now have hair straighteners, so what's the next big product going to be? I say this because my feeling is the hair people are going to be your best buyer, and therefore you need to watch how the company is getting along if you decide to sell. Just my thoughts.

Rgds

12. domainking

domainking Active Member

HI Lee
    Can tell you I have build ghd related sites in the past. and ghd products sell by the thousands. you should be able to get the asking price for the name. also it might help you to know the founder of the company parted ways about 6 weeks ago and big boys have taken over.

13. grandin United Kingdom

interesting drs

What I did find interesting from the DRS was the fact that this so called rights holder had empowered its rights to authorised distributors and that those authorised could go after such a name and trade under such a name...........the rights holder would probably find it difficult to undo its rights as so many of them contain 'ghd' in their online domain name

Re: the hair peple diversyfying..........i was concerned that this would limit what i could develop the website into but they have said, in writing, that they have no objection in me running a mortgage related financail site also the Patent Office Case said that such search terms do not gain that much protection under Trade Mark law due to its genericness and usefulness to so many

14. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

False. A domain name is worth what someone is willing to pay provided that the Registrant wishes to sell it for that amount. I once engaged in conversation with someone who used the "A domain is worth what someone is willing to pay (and I am only wanting to pay £x)" line and I pointed out that he assumed I wished to sell it, which I didn't. He wasn't able to reply with anything significant afterwards. What some buyers do not recognise is that some Registrants simply have no interest in selling a domain name for the price they are offering, despite there being apparently no other interested suitors. Maybe the domain name is attached to a business that makes a decent income p/a? Maybe the price on offer isn't an amount of money that the Registrant has a "financial need" for? Someone Registrants have no need to sell.

Been watching CompareTheMarket adverts a few too many times? ;)

[snippity-snip]

15. grandin United Kingdom

Sometimes

Sometimes people sell at a loss, sometimes people sell at a profit, sometimes people sell at a huge loss, sometimes people sell at a huge profit but you will never have 'a time' where you can give a real value.....it is merely a value

16. cm1975 United Kingdom

cm1975 Well-Known Member

Fair comment!! It was of course a sweeping generalisation on domain sales and not those being retained by the registrant. Also, I'm not saying that the first person that comes along is necessarily going to offer the most. However, there is no point in me trying to sell a domain for £2000, when in reality there is no one willing to buy at that price.

In this instance, the seller is in no rush to sell and is able to hold out for top dollar, if indeed he even decides to sell. He is in a very strong position, when many of us would be biting off their hands for the cash!

The CompareTheMarket ads are annoying, but incredibly catchy! A marketeers dream!! :(

17. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

Simples!! But very effective. They've even brought a new character into the newest ad. An IT geek meerkat! :)

It may be a buyers market atm in a range of sectors, but that assumes that the seller is looking to sell at the price the buyer is willing to offer. As the economic tanker gradually turns then this will increasingly not be the case and buyers will get increasingly anxious... though i sincerely hope that doesn't happen to the housing market causing another inflationary bubble. Restrictive credit and lending should help... if the bankers greed can be halted.

S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.