Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

How did this happen?

Discussion in 'Drop catching Domain Names' started by Systreg, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

Squash.co.uk dropped on Apr 20th, I was under the impression that someone caught it and didn't think any more about, until I got a PM today asking if I wanted to sell it, so I checked the Who-Is and see it's registered to me on the Domain Monster tag. I had it booked for catching at Domain Monster, so I checked my account there, but the domain isn't listed anywhere.

I could have swore I checked on drop day and it was caught by someone else, so then I thought maybe I was looking at an old cached version of the Who-Is and Domain Monster actually caught it for me. I asked someone to check the DAC logs for that day and they confirmed it was caught by DROPCAUGHT-RO which is Lee Owens tag, I then remembered that was the tag I saw on the day it was caught.

I searched on Twitter to see if there was any mention of the domain, and came across this tweet by Lee from this morning, to which I've replied:

https://twitter.com/squillions/status/989062768514011136

This has me very confused, how is it possible for it to be on a catchers tag on Apr 20th, and then on Apr 21st it's on the Domain Monster tag? All I could think was he transferred it in to Domain Monster, and there's been a glitch and it registered it to me due to having it booked there, no idea, hopefully we'll find out soon.

Any thoughts on what happened?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

What a strange situation, but on the plus side at least it ended up with someone honest and as perplexed no doubt as the catcher, so I'm sure it can be resolved.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Be interesting to see how it ended up on Monsters Tag, I guess if Lee transferred it on the 20th when it dropped DMs clean up software could have confused it as a catch but why he would he transfer it ?

5. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

Yes, a strange one. It makes you think he possibly did transfer it though, as logically the rest of what happened would at least make some sense.

6. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Yes, (for anyone who hasn't used DM), they could catch your name at 3am drop day, but it doesn't end up in your account often until the next day. Presumably at some point later a cron runs which moves catches to the correct owners, this process could have assumed the name there was a catch and moved it.

Kev wouldn't have been billed, because the billing software didn't get a catch notification so no catch, no bill, but doesn't explain why its not in his account.

Also curious if Lee would have a DRS case again Kev, I'm not sure there. Not worth being curious how Nom / Heg will deal with it :/

7. ian

ian Well-Known Member

What a strange situation. I can only assume that Lee deleted the domain and DM caught it (but that was the day after), or he's transferred it to DM and somehow the ownership has changed. Bit strange that Lee has taken to Twitter to complain and threaten a DRS...suggests he made some kind of error and is now trying to recover. Keep us updated, very interesting situation.

(edit - it was caught by DROPCAUGHT-RO according to my system, if that helps)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  8. Lovekraft United Kingdom

Lovekraft Well-Known Member

I'm not 100% sure but if I am remembering correctly I'm pretty sure when I saw the domain on the "catches today" list @ Rob's ukdroplists.com the domain was listed as having been caught by DomainMonster as I remember thinking how on earth did that happen?! Unless that was another domain so correct me if i'm wrong please.

I think the list updates on an hourly basis which would suggest it switched tags very swiftly. Perhaps @RobM can confirm as can't view previous days catches on his site.

9. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

It was on Monster tag the 20th

On the whois it says: Registered on: 20-Apr-2018, Last updated: 21-Apr-2018

His tweet says "you illegally transferred on 21st April."

Seems most likely (as people have said), he caught it, put it on Monster tag and at some point their system acted like they caught it and transferred to the person who booked it.

10. keys United Kingdom

keys Well-Known Member

This would/will be much more difficult to discover and unravel from June onwards, when Whois data gets removed from public view.

11. RobM

RobM Retired Member

Yes immediate tag was DROPCAUGHT-RO - then it must've updated before the next check so would have had to be maximum 1 hr.

12. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

It was on the Monster tag at 12:02pm

Unsure when it dropped though

13. Systreg

Well, it's definitely not under my control, and there's no listing of the domain in my Domain Monster account.

It can only be what was originally thought, which is he must have transferred it to Domain Monster, and it's stuck somewhere in their system, I'm sure they'll sort it out soon and restore it to his account.

• Like Like x 1
  14. wonder_lander United Kingdom

wonder_lander Well-Known Member

Sorry if I've missed this, is it in your nominet account?

15. Systreg

16. scottmccloud

scottmccloud Well-Known Member

Have you checked both your registrant and registrar accounts?

17. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Yep, I would imagine it will appear in your Nominet domain manager which associates with your email address (not the web domain manager used as a tag holder). If not, how odd!

18. Systreg

Not sure what you mean, is that the 2 parts of the same Nominet account, where you scroll to the bottom of the page after logging in to Nominet and go to Domain Manager.

Then there's the other part where you go to Web Domain Manager >> Manage Domains? If so, it's in neither of those sections.

19. Systreg

@ian, I was posting as you were, so you confirmed what I wrote, it's not in either section.

Saying that, my email address used at Domain Monster isn't the same email address I use for my Nominet account.

20. DaveP United Kingdom

DaveP Well-Known Member

I saw this and thought DROPCAUGHT-RO must've sold that really fast. One of the best catches in recent years for sure.

Hopefully this gets sorted out. and they get the domain back.

21. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Sign up to Nominet using the same email address as you do on DM, I'm sure it will be there. Not that it matters, Nominet need to investigate how this happened.