Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

investing in startups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Some of you may know that I have started advising and investing in lots of startups, this is mainly due to lots of reasons listed below:

SEIS - allowing upto 78% tax relief
EIS allowing 30% tax relief
huge number of clever people now without jobs who are creating ideas
government backing for VC's to invest in startups
cheap costs of building an online business
high potential exits for startups
fun of working with dreamers

So far I have helped 17 startups this year and several have already raised £100's of thousands in funding, with some looking to now raise millions.

I have simply started finding groups of people who have on online skill, some spare cash and some time and interest to help. Then pulling them together.

I make no cash from this and only take shares if I invest. So everyone gets the same deal as me. My goal of pulling the right people together is to help the chances of success.

If anyone on here wishes me to tell them more then just PM me.

Cheers

Doug

Hi Doug, I received an offer today for this domain ideapreneurship.com / .co.uk

Made me thing of your thread when I was reading it as it seems to be a similar way to form business partnerships.

I recall a few years ago, listening to a podcast where you gave an interview, (can't recall the name other than "Fraser".

Do you have any recent recordings would be interested to hear what you now involved with as I enjoyed your last interview..

cheers Mally (NUFC supporter too)

Update

Hi Mally

The podcast was by Frazer you are correct.
http://www.affiliateblog.co.uk/doug-scott-asap-ventures-interview.html

I am using www.potential.co.uk to already do this:)

If you or anyone wants to learn what is happening in this space it is worth looking at:

techcrunch.com ( US focus)
angel.co - show who is raising and what

Then these accelerators

ycombinator.com
techstars.com
springboard.com - uk
seedcamp.com - uk

There are still not many online resources focussed on the UK, but they will appear.

The uk is still in a state of mess in this stuff as is most of Europe, but I completely believe in the next 24 months the UK and mainly London will become the Silicon Valley of Europe. There are lots of reasons for this:

• lots of highly skilled people unemployed
  • its now cool to build a startup
  • London has a mass of multilingual talent hence allowing it easy to be a staging post for US companies to launch in Europe, but also allowing European companies to launch in and English speaking market prior to launching in the US
  • Londoners have a huge amount of cash
  • Low interest rates and hence lots of money looking for higher returns
  • Huge amount of government backing and tax reliefs for startups, angel investors and vc's
  • A highly skilled online angel community with considerable online knowledge

Doug

Last edited:
When you say you take shares, do you mean as a director? I'm just thinking from a risk point of view, its great that you can raise the 100's and millions you mention but if things go belly up wont you have some potential(.co.uk ahem ;)) large liabilities?

Was looking for something like this for a while, i have sent you a pm.

Smokin

We raise from external investors for shares and I also invest. I assume I will never get my money back but learn and have some fun......so yes in theory I can easily loose all my investment. I am happy with that arrangement.

Doug
Ps Zehrila replied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom