20i Reseller Hosting

Keyword tool help

Discussion in 'Domain Tools' started by Systreg, May 23, 2018.

1. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

I've been checking the Google keyword tool replacement, now called Adwords keyword planner, when entering a plural word, for example, bikes, it give the main result for the singular, bike, and the plural is not listed anywhere in the results. I checked a few plurals and it always gives the singular as the main result.

I tried bikes on it's own, and then "bikes", still gives only the singular as the main result, although it does give other multiple word results like "bmx bikes" etc including the plural, but not on it's own.

Does anyone know if there's a way to force it to return the plural result by changing the search input?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. martin-s United Kingdom

martin-s Well-Known Member

No, you can't do that any more. It's a shame, but it reflects how Adwords exact match has changed to include close variations, plurals and misspellings.

And also how the Google ranking engine has become more intelligent at natural language processing - handling synonyms and the like.

Very frustrating, but there we are.

If you have decent search data in your Search Console account, that might help you judge the relative volume of each variant?

4. Systreg

Thanks Martin, not a clue why they've changed it, I don't know about everyone, but when I search for anything on Google, it's always the plural I use, yet the single word plurals are not included, strange.

I don't have a search console account, whatever that is :)

5. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

I think it's deliberate. By combining singular/plural together, Google is forcing advertisers to effectively bid on both, hence increasing competition for ad keywords and driving bid prices up. Bad for advertisers, great for G's bottom line. And they're so close to a monopoly, it's not as if advertisers are just going to pull their ads and walk away in a strop! They have to just grin and bear whatever hoops G makes them jump through...

6. dee

dee Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

So how do companies like serpstat do it ? I would have thought they use a G API dont they ? For instance, @sysreg i just did a search for a catch you got this morning I was after (nice one)

keyboards 90500
    keyboard 49500

g co.uk results. They must be getting the individual results from somewhere

7. timter51 United Kingdom

timter51 Active Member Exclusive Member

My bodge way of getting some kind of results from Google is to add both singular and plural to a campaign as exact match, ramp the CPC up to max to ensure 1st place for both, then see what the impressions are like. For example, this gives 104,000 impressions for "bikes" and 7,500 impressions for "bike" for an average month (it changes slightly per month but always similar, unless you hit a seasonal month for that item).

8. timter51 United Kingdom

Like this:

Attached Files:

9. Systreg

@timter51, how are you actually getting bike and bikes, it only shows bike in the search results for me. Same with any plural I search for, houses only shows house, keyboards only shows keyboard etc, so there's no option to select both as it's only showing the singular result each time.

10. timter51 United Kingdom

If you create yourself a plan and add the singular to it, then go to the Plan Overview -> Keywords, then click the blue + button to add more. Here you can add plurals, remember to [ ] it for exact match. This is the screen you want to end up at:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Systreg

Thanks mate, I'll try that later on.