Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Media Coverage of .uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
In this thread I hope that anybody would post links to media stories, blogs etc. both supporting or being critical of Nominet's new .uk proposal

I start of with Computer weekly By Philip Virgo on July 24, 2013

http://www.computerweekly.com/blogs/when-it-meets-politics/2013/07/hmrc-real-time-information-pil.html

This leads me on to the Nominet consultation on the future of .uk as a domain that is worthy of the trust placed in it by those who do not know better. I have once again been shocked, but not surprised, at the narrow vision of those seeking to preserve the current, "untrustworthy because unvalidated", registration processes which make it almost impossible to work out whether a website is governed by UK law unless it actually abides by the e-Commerce and gives physical contact details on its website. It would appear, at least to me, to be obvious that Nominet should have a policy of routinely suspending " .uk" domain names that are being used for trading purposes where neither the website nor the "whois" entry gives current physical contact details. It should also demand such information from all new .co.uk registrations. The extensions with new names and hierarchies of names are, quite frankly, much less important.

How Nominet implements that policy is another matter - but unless and until it does so we cannot expect .uk to be taken seriously as part of the process of making the UK a trustworthy location for on-line business. More-over the 2/3 rd of Small Firms who have websites but decline to transact on line because of fear of fraud are all too rational in their choice. Given that most of the Nominet community of registrars make most of their money from providing hosting and support services to small and medium sized businesses, not from handling registrations, let alone from farming domain names, this should be a no-brainer for their finance directors.

Given all the e-mails that small firm receive from "HMRC" (and look-alikes) offering them refunds or other assistance, there is a need to link the RTI pilots to a realistic, large scale exercise to address on-line fraud, including reporting and victim support, - not just another "awareness campaign" as currently appears planned. Any such exercise should include robust "co-operation" with Nominet to identify any in the .uk supply chain who are aiding and abetting such frauds and to take action accordingly. It should also include an equally "robust" contribution from HMG (who, Cabinet Office, BIS, DCMS ?) to the Nominet Consultation with regard to the current surreal debate on the forty or so "reserved names" for the quangos being kicked off .gov.uk

It is bizarre that the future of a critical part of the UK Internet infrastructure should be left to an introverted group of registrars with an understandable interest in resisting change, while others appear to have an equally narrow interest in opportunity to sell new names.

and obviously please post any comments about the articles, as this is a free to speak forum.

What an imbecilic piece. I thought that piece was shockingly shit, then I saw it was a blog piece - which appears to be an excuse for stream-of-consciousness shite.

More-over the 2/3 rd of Small Firms who have websites but decline to transact on line because of fear of fraud are all too rational in their choice.

Surely the majority of the attempted fraud that small firms experience comes from individual customers? [email protected] is no more trustworthy than [email protected] or .com.

What an absolute idiot Philip Virgo is... Someone that lacks the grasp of the real world and things like mailing addresses and how they are simply bypassed by a criminal with half a brain. That guy sounds like a complete fool.

I could spend all night tearing holes in that piece. It's not any better in context with the opening paragraphs. He constantly confuses the UK with .uk

Try applying everything he says to cherished number plates or 0845 numbers being used on the vans of dodgy builders.

If I sell a domain to a fraudster, how is it my fault what he does with it? How likely is he to answer Yes to the question "Are you a fraudster"?

I really don't want domains to be as complicated to acquire as an SSL certificate. Often a new brand starts off trading as one man in his garage - before it has the infrastructure. Often that trading is mostly happening on marketplaces like eBay and Amazon - they don't give each trader's home address, so why should a trader need to on their own website?

It should always be buyer beware, not registrar beware.

New Stories V2

Edwin

Thanks for adding following 2 stories to your list of media coverage of V2 .uk

25 August 2013
•Net Into Dire Muck (an anagram of Nominet Direct UK), Alex Bligh, personal blog

24 August 2013
•Big flaws in the new .uk domain extension exposed in new report by Stephen Wilde, PRWeb-distributed press release

http://www.mydomainnames.co.uk/articles.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts