Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

myspace.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Just noticed that myspace.co.uk is for sale on Sedo at $525,000. The ad claims that there have been offers over $100,000.

Can someone explain to me how it can be worth this much. I know it's getting loads of traffic, but presumably Myspace.com are claiming it's rightfully theirs, and any new owner would obviously be buying it just to cash in on traffic from the .com.

I don't think myspace has a TM in the UK so it's fair game I think :confused:

myspace

I was trawling through sedo a while ago & noticed it too. Meant to pose the question same as you!
There is a US tm office. A UK one & a European one.
Surely before buying the .com they made sure all the tms were in place?
surely with their money they could get the .co.uk, if they wanted?
Don't get me wrong, wish the bloke luck, but it is very brazen & innocent people have lost domains from Nominet before over really minor things.
Haven't checked the reg. dates. Possible the .co.uk was regged before the .com. If that's the case, i would say no case to answer.
If i owned, i'd be trying to shift quicktime.. wouldn't you?
Predator

I was trawling through sedo a while ago & noticed it too. Meant to pose the question same as you!
There is a US tm office. A UK one & a European one.
Surely before buying the .com they made sure all the tms were in place?
surely with their money they could get the .co.uk, if they wanted?
Don't get me wrong, wish the bloke luck, but it is very brazen & innocent people have lost domains from Nominet before over really minor things.
Haven't checked the reg. dates. Possible the .co.uk was regged before the .com. If that's the case, i would say no case to answer.
If i owned, i'd be trying to shift quicktime.. wouldn't you?
Predator

the .co.uk was regged in 97, before myspace was a twinkle in the developers eye, by an internet solutions company, presumably as a hosting solutions domain.

Just done a lookup at The UK Patent Office, and it seems there are some apps being put forward to trademark myspace, myspace - a place for friends and some others.

It does indeed look like myspace is trying to get a TM in the UK. I couldn't look up the details though, it said they were unavailable. Conveiniently.

I don't get it: are you saying that Myspace need a UK trademark to claim myspace.co.uk because it's a .co.uk, or because the owner is based in the UK?

Another point: even if myspace.co.uk was regged in '97, whoever buys the domain now (if someone does) is buying it way after myspace.com got going, and is going to have to show that they're not doing it in bad faith. How?!

I don't get it: are you saying that Myspace need a UK trademark to claim myspace.co.uk because it's a .co.uk, or because the owner is based in the UK?

A UK Trademark would be of relevance when considering rights to a .co.uk domain, so yes, it's because it's a .co.uk, not because the owner is based in the UK.

Rgds

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom