20i Domains

Nominet announces new policy consultation for expiring .UK domains

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by Acorn Newsbot, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Retired Member

Yes, Andrew launched this petition today. It needs 5% of votes OR 100 members to sign. 11 have signed in the first few hours. The problem is that the voting system is so weighted in favour of the very large registrars, that unless they were on board, any petition or extraordinary meeting that was called could be a statement of members' feelings (and reasoned arguments) but could be blocked by large companies. But I think members have a right to put their case on their own initiative and on their own terms, and not just be 'handled' and 'navigated' by Nominet through its own chosen processes. There is a case for an extraordinary meeting. I see no reason why there shouldn't be a counter narrative. After all, why should anyone be afraid of open process? Does everything always have to be controlled from the top? As it impacts on ordinary registrars' real lives, at a crucial time in the history of UK domains, and a crucial time of pandemic, I think it's pretty reasonable if an extraordinary meeting is called. The circumstances ARE extraordinary in the history of the UK namespace and for the secondary market.

Because I always try to deal in realpolitik, I'll be honest, I think the Nominet executive have their own momentum and I believe they're through with what has gone before. But I think people deserve a hearing, whether a petition or a meeting. If Adelere is signing it, that's good enough for me - not because I am backing any specific methodology - I'm increasingly aware of multiple problems and challenges in all this and what I want is simply fair process and I want to hear what people suggest - but Adelere is a man of decency and honour, who has treated me very well in transactions. I don't think it's my place to be partisan at this time, but I listen to the impact these changes may have, and I think people deserve a hearing... on a platform they choose to call. Are there 88 more members who will put their names to this? I see no reason why this ought not go beyond a petition to a dedicated meeting, where time could be allowed for everyone who wants to speak, even if it takes all day, and where questions should be raised, and answers required, however uncomfortable that may be.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. mcrick Portugal

mcrick Member

Untrue.

What was actually stated: "Your decision to stand isn’t being criticised and is welcomed. In my opinion you seem to lack having done basic research about the one main issue you repeatedly reference and, when presented with discourse and evidence contrary to your views, you elect not to respond to it perhaps as you’re not used to being challenged to the extent you might have to consider rethinking your statements or opinions."

What was actually stated: "I presume you are intelligent enough to accept that people aren’t oblivious. Consequentially, and in my opinion, your choice never to mention it at all (I am certainly not talking about mentioning it all the time) might infer to some that you’re uncomfortable with yourself."

What was actually stated: "You haven’t mention the “I wanted to guard against any negative questions, designed to marginalise me, because I may challenge the status quo...” part. Everyone attending the Q&A will receive the same questions. I am sad you feel unable to cope with that in a live environment, as I will be about anyone else who decided not to participate either.

What was actually stated: "One person has told me he felt you dominated discussion at the Birmingham consultation last year but he often likes to be the centre of attention so maybe you pipped him to the post that day. I wasn’t there to observe."

(paraphrasing)

What was actually stated: "I accept your point that you might not want it to be an issue *for you* but by not featuring yourself in your own video in vision, by not attending the live Q&A session and by having never mentioned your gender once in passing here as far as I know, I feel you also aren’t contributing to it not becoming an issue in the minds of some when it’s conspicuous. Clearly your choice but you are now kindly asking to be elected to a Board of Directors of a medium sized company and some voters might like to know you’re self confident and comfortable in yourself *in person* by seeing how you actually come across *as the person you are*, not through published word only. Many of them won’t be AcornDomains members."

I don't think any of the above was asked unfairly and certainly none of it was said derogatorily. One shouldn't feel unable to ask questions that might be awkward when they directly relate to factual issues at hand. Susannah herself has repeatedly stated that she isn't afraid to do the same. Remain respectful and don't be ashamed of asking what some might consider to be difficult questions if you ask them with a genuine reason. If you don't accept my reasonings as already stated then that's your prerogatives.

This is absolutely incorrect. I have no problem with Bulgarians (and have never suggested I did). I have no problem with transgenders, transexuals or transvestites either on the basis of those statuses (and also never suggested that I did).

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Skimmed through that, sorry it's a waste of time to read you lie

You know what you were doing, I know what you were doing

You give yourself an out by dressing up things you say around it you aren't stupid, nasty but not stupid.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. mcrick Portugal

mcrick Member

Quite obviously the Board would have realised on subsequent occasions that some retail registrars might engage in bulk registering domain names for their customers using the free two years promotion. Naturally it would have been discussed and felt that as long as registrars acted in accordance with the RRA, as has already been discussed but you haven't specifically commented on, it was a potential benefit for Rights holders.

They do understand that but you don't understand what's already been explained to you and have avoided, so far, commenting on it.

I am afraid you simply can't accurately state that such registrants didn't want these domain names because you couldn't possibly know this. If you did have such an amazing skill every registrar would wish you as their employee.

How exactly do you think it helped the registrars that participated (some with lots of DUM, some with far fewer) but didn't help their customers?

Mainly what in your opinion was an unfair process relating to this single issue that began almost three years ago.

I think you're failing to look at the wider picture of why the promotions were even offered. Nominet obviously wanted to give every Rights holder the best opportunities to take up their Rights prior to them being extinguished. You seem to be suggested that Nominet, and the retail registrars that acted as they did, should have done less to try to achieve this outcome.

A very unpleasant response by you when challenged with the facts of what were actually posted rather than your disgraceful attempt at distorting it. Maybe you're the one with the problem.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. davedevelopment

davedevelopment Well-Known Member

@mcrick having read back your own posts, do you just get self-righteousness, or do you actually consider that you might have said something inappropriate?

I'm not sure to make of you, you're good at putting your points forward, but you rarely consider others or their points and generally come across as severely dislikeable.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Retired Member

David, David, David...

You've got it all the wrong way round.

Rather than interrogating me, tell your CEO to come here to this forum and answer questions from people here.

He's the person with questions to answer on a number of issues in my opinion.

8. JMI

JMI Active Member Acorn Supporter

The problem is I appreciate your passion but you've not really been involved in the UK domain industry long enough to appreciate certain nuances, this is often demonstrated often your lengthy posts.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. susannah United Kingdom

susannah Active Member

Nah, I've been here since 2011, dear newbie. Been UK domaining since 1999. I was more interested in ICANN in the beginning, and very active in their politics, on the same old theme of rules, enforcement, laissez faire, and conflicts of interest. I gradually grew more concerned about the UK's namespace. But you're right, that I could write more succinctly!

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. JMI

JMI Active Member Acorn Supporter

So you've been hand reg/catching since 1999 - you must have quite a collection of great domains then?

11. signature

signature Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

@mcrick

You need to be human and apologise when you are shown to be wrong. You are making some valid points and throwing some insult within it makes your points to be ignored.

We are different people with different views and we have a forum here to voice our views. All we can do is respect each other's view, agree on some and agree to disagree on others.

• Like Like x 2
  12. signature

A lot of us were registrars in 1999 but more interested in .COM than .co.uk and not wise to how valuable these .co.uk will be.

Also not many catching was going on then, its all registering and mostly by signed emails.

You could have been registrar since the 90s with only a handful of domains to show for it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  13. signature

@Siusaidh
    Thanks for the comments, I signed the petitions because to a lot of people, this is their only income and taking that away just like that is callous.

Also, Nominet should not make secondary market another income stream, they already run a monopoly and adding secondary market to it should not be allowed.

Some of us here will remember the fight in the .COM space in the 90s when Network Solutions have the monopoly to .COM and the secondary market. .COM use to cost about £120 for 2 years and many new registrars have to fight for this to stop. I think we are at that stage now when a Registry wanted to have monopoly of everything to do with .UK name space.

Nominet already have income enough to run the registry many times over and if the directors wanted to do diversify they should resign and setup a new company. Trying to move into cyber security that is dominated already by big players.

I cant see CyGlass going to be a successful large company, the success I can see here is been bought again by a bigger company like Amazon or Azure or similar company. Most of their services is already free with most cloud companies and no need to buy their services at all.

If Nominet want to be a cyber security company, they should stop using registry income, separate it from Nominet and lets see how it will survive.

Lastly, how can Nominet justify a salary increase of £300k in one year to the CEO, what have Nominet achieved to justify this? Also all directors remunerations increase by 60% in one year. Why and what for?

Nominet have made members and many small registrars irrelevant, this is not right and at this rate, members will leave anyway since there will be no reason or value in membership.

I am not sure about the members figures few years ago, but I think it was about 4000 at its peak and if Nominet continue this way, members will leave, may be this is their intention.

Lets get the signature to 100 and see what happen.

On another note, lets enjoy our Sunday, I can't wait for Chelsea to clinch champions league position today. ManU and Leicester fans, nothing personal :).

• Like Like x 5
  14. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Retired Member

I don't understand why a Director gets paid about £1632 a day (CEO even more) when a nurse saving people's lives gets paid about £108 a day.

If I get elected, my daughter's children's centre in Uganda will get the windfall. Their poverty and deprivation are pitiful. I'm perfectly happy with what I've got.

Good luck this afternoon - but don't underestimate Wolves! My own team, Arsenal, have the Cup Final next Saturday, that's our only hope of European Football.

In Fantasy Football, there was a league set up here on this forum. I am currently trailing in 60th position out of 70 teams. I don't know how other people here are doing.

Things are much closer in a personal league with my son. With just today's matches to go, after a whole season:

Son: 1706 points

Me: 1703 points

I badly need Mason Mount NOT to score as my son has him, and (apologies) I need Jimenez to score a hat trick this afternoon against Chelsea. I don't mind if Chelsea win 5-3 though!

• Like Like x 1
  15. 3gmedia United Kingdom

3gmedia Active Member Exclusive Member

Is that before tax?

I do believe nurses should get at least an extra £10k a year.

Doctors/consultants & Gps get enough, my better half works for a consultant & gp who quite often leave their wage slips around the house, they certainly get paid enough. :rolleyes:

16. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Retired Member

Yes, that's before tax. I get paid a bit more because I'm a Senior Clinician. My pay in a year is identical to what I will be paid as a Director for 23 days' work.

I'd agree with you, that £10,000 a year more would be a fair and modest adjustment for basic band 5 nurses.

However, my primary concern is that Nominet, as a company, is run with integrity, with the big registrars kept at arms length, to avoid appearance of bias and undue influence.

17. signature

Thanks, we can't underestimate wolves, they need win to keep their current position and they don't concede goals easily. I will take 5-3 to Chelsea too :D, so you get your hat trick but a draw is good enough for us.

18. 3gmedia United Kingdom

3gmedia Active Member Exclusive Member

Strange thing happened on Friday when i tried to vote, the online form didnt have me listed as a member of Nominet, i've sent an email so waiting for a reply.

19. super-whois United Kingdom

super-whois Active Member

That's because voting hasn't opened yet. so not sure where you found the form. "Voting will run from Tuesday 1 September 2020 until 1pm on Friday 18 September 2020. Your voting email will be sent to you on the day voting opens."

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Nigel United Kingdom

Nigel Well-Known Member

now up to 41 signatures - only takes a minute to sign

now 50!

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  21. SF

SF Well-Known Member

The end of drop catching?