20i Domains

Nominet announces new policy consultation for expiring .UK domains

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by Acorn Newsbot, Jul 16, 2020.

1. mcrick Portugal

mcrick Member

Thank you. No,I definitely don’t consider I have said anything inappropriate. If you think I have, feel free to tell me over private message. I think you’ll find it hard to pin down what you actually think it was.

“Interrogated” is a tad strong. Questioned about you candidacy but you don’t seem to want to answer many of the questions!

You have the opportunity to send him an email, attend and question at the AGM or attend and question at the forthcoming virtual roundtable if it’s to do with the current consultation.

You had the opportunity to appear in your own video, but you didn’t do. You also had the opportunity to record your answers to questions but you seem to be choosing not to. Why don’t you appear to want people to see what you’re really like, choosing instead to hide as far as possible behind a keyboard?

I couldn’t agree more.

Is anyone aware of any commercial activity involving Susannah and the domain name industry?

I’ve not insulted anybody but I’ll be sure to make it clear when if I am doing. Please tell me by Private Message where specifically you are sure that I’ve been throwing insults. I don’t think you’ll be able.

Do you mean registrar or registrant because there was only one registrar in the late 1990’s (Network Solutions). Were you referring to being a Nominet member and tag holder?

Who are these “lot of people” you cite that this is “their only income”? Please tell us WHO?

They don’t run a monopoly because .COM is a viable competitor with double digit numbers of registrations in the same markets as .uk. All registries are the sole providers of their extensions, as can only be the case, but it is not the only viable choice.

Can you cite any online source that details this? Any document? Any news article anywhere that you can evidence to corroborate what you claim to remember from over twenty years ago, please?

Different issue. Niche produces can gain transaction in new arenas if they are ahead of the time.

I highly doubt you understand the products or areas that CyGlass’s products belong in and I wouldn’t expect you to without having researched it.

It’s Nominet’s income, not registry income. Do you tell Tesco what they may do with the money they receive from your weekly shop?

Ask the Chairman. He’ll be happy to explain. In a nutshell, because the CEO is worth his salary and the Remuneration Committee don’t want him to be poached because they’re playing him below market. Do you have reason to believe that wouldn’t happen?

No Nominet haven’t. The annual membership fee hasn’t gone up. If some members leave, because £100 A YEAR, is too much for them, maybe they have more pressing issues that they’re hiding.

If a lot of the proxy members leave because there’s no need for them to exist, is that a negative?

Simple. They don’t. If you don’t understand this, you might want to rethink how much time you might be able to commit to the position. It can and does sometime exponentially increase beyond the suggested number of days.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. davedevelopment

davedevelopment Well-Known Member

It is hard to pin down specifically, I think most of your posts just kind of "smell". I think it's like the dude says, "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an arsehole".

Do you talk like this openly to colleagues or other people at your place of work?

I'm not an expert at interpreting the subtle aggressions, presumptions and slights you make, but if I worked with you, I'd be raising concerns with superiors or a HR department.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

What he does, If it's not pure gas lighting it's certainly a close variant

5. DesD

DesD Active Member

@mcrick Are you currently a director of Nominet?

• Like Like x 1
  6. gregfindley

gregfindley Well-Known Member

No, I think he's actually pinned down what he thinks it was, Whether you agree is a different point.

Have you ever considered a move into politics?
    Why don't you question candidates about their candidacy over emails, as you keep inviting them to do of Nominet board members? Perhaps they don't want to go into every detail you would like to ask them about on a forum topic which isn't about their candidacy directly.

It just serves to derail the thread.
    I highly doubt you know the person you're replying to that well to judge their knowledge or experience in any sector, so your expectations of their research is a moot point.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  7. DesD

DesD Active Member

@Admin i believe @mcrick may be a member of Nominet’s board as has been suggested elsewhere on the forum.

If he chooses not to answer my direct question on this topic above, then I’d encourage you to ban his IP address from accessing the forum.

I believe he’s trolling a candidate who is potentially running for a seat currently held by a colleague of his - a clear conflict of interest in my opinion.

I find his behaviour disruptive and arrogant and I don’t think this is the time for members to be distracted in this way.

The clock is ticking on your income streams.

I will also be bringing this thread and others to the attention of Beverley Hamblet-Bowes, Nominet’s HR Director.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Derek Portugal

Derek Active Member

How about the conflict of interest of said candidate abusing their staff position on a domaining forum to delete other peoples posts re Nominet policies?

9. super-whois United Kingdom

super-whois Active Member

Are you bipolar?

10. Derek Portugal

Derek Active Member

Do you think its reasonable for a prospective Nominet paid staff member to be using their position as a mod here to be deleting Nominet critical posts?

11. DesD

DesD Active Member

I can’t speak to that as I don’t have any specifics.

However, I note Susannah stated her intention right at the start to moderate the threads she created with the intention of keeping discussion on point.

That said, in my experience of community management (significant) this was never going to work as an approach for the suspicion of what you suggest.

I understand Susannah figured this out quite quickly and stepped back from moderating.

All of that said, I believe that Susannah has been quite upfront and consistent about her reasons for running and in doing so it’s absolutely right that she should be challenged. Further, in using a community with anonymous members as a platform, then she can’t expect to know who everyone is - nor has she requested this.

However, if any of the participants in this discussion are conflicted in the way I suggest above, then they are obliged to do so under their real name. To not do so brings this entire process into disrepute in my opinion.

I have a very serious issue with the way @mcrick chose to ‘out’ Susannah as gender diverse in discussion. It was passive trolling of the worst kind and simply not acceptable to me.

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. dee

dee Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

yep. Probably.

13. dee

@mcrick. Are you a Nominet board member ?

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. DJ Wood United Kingdom

DJ Wood Active Member

It is clear that @mcrick has an agenda here.

What I can't work out is if it is purely hate towards Susannah because of her gender, or he is simply using this, as well as other things, to try to undermine her candidacy.

Either way it is unpleasant to read and whether or not the points @mcrick makes are valid @Admin should ban him from making any more until he/she has disclosed their identity.

I feel this would be the only way to judge this discussion and the points fairly, and without discloser, @mcrick comments should be viewed as trolling and a personal attack aimed to undermine and cause self doubt.

Disclosure on my part, I am not a tag holder and am best described as a hobbyist.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. dee

To be fair he said @Admin not @susannah . Dont think the owner of the forum has any affiliation with Nominet ? Could be wrong ?

16. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. super-whois United Kingdom

How many VPN accounts do you have David?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. Derek Portugal

Derek Active Member

You've mistakenly quoted me. You should pm him and check?

19. dee

20. signature

signature Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Nominet Member and TAG holder not .COM Registrar.
    Also there were more than one .COM registrars in the 1990s.

Silly question to ask..

Do you understand the definition of Monopoly?

You missing the point, there actions over the years is making members irrelevant. £100 is not what will make anyone not be a member of Nominet, that's Orange Juice money.

I don't know, I don't know if they are all proxy members and did they tell you why the left?

If you are asking, it means you are not involve in the internet space in the 90s. google network solution monopoly of .com and take your pick.

Cyglass is not ahead of anytime, they are catching up, Nominet had to buy them to even have a security product. There is nothing they are doing that is new.

Please don't doubt, I have developed and delivered eCommerce systems for banks, insurance and other FTSE 100 companies for over two decades, LBG, RBS/NatWest, AXA, AON, Lehman Brothers, Dresdner, Aviva, Old Mutual Wealth. I am certified in Cisco Pix and Checkpoint firewalls and used many others including F5s. I could go on here but I think that's enough.

Please Network security is priority to all my work and I definitely know what I am talking about here.

Now back to Cyglass service, there is nothing new here and I don't need to start explaining anything to you here either.

Like I said, Cyglass patent, if they have one for their service will be bought and leverage on other services offered by network providers.

Please don't doubt, we might only be talking domain names here, so you know, I start my IT career in the 80s, been very lucky to have had the career I had and the companies I have worked for.

Now you know, don't doubt my knowledge and experience here.

The usual nonsense, you could assume I have heard this before.

CEO salary increase need to be justified on achievement not that if CEO goes we are done. That is total nonsense, there was Nominet before CEO joined and there will be Nominet after CEO goes.

Show me what significant achievement that has happened since this CEO joined?

David, bro, chill, a lot of people on this platform knows a lot about a lot of things, you might not know they do but they do, please threat people with some respect and don't questions their intelligence.

I don't hate the people working at Nominet, I have dealt with few people at Nominet and they are good people, nice people and I have no bad words to say about anyone working at Nominet.

I have issue with the direction Nominet is taking and now trying to take away secondary market income from members is not right. Try find a way to fix the issues.

As per the insult you made, I will send you a private message as requested.

I will leave things here and hope we all have a good week.

• Like Like x 1
  21. super-whois United Kingdom

I'm not stupid David.

• Funny Funny x 1