Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nominet announces programme for evolving the .uk domain name space

Status
Not open for further replies.
.uk solution:

Award .co.uk owners with the .uk alternative - .co.uk resolves to .uk
Price increase of 50p per year per domain to end user - all .uk variants
Open up another .uk extension... or .gb! (e.g. .net.uk has been suggested)

Doesn't this tick all the boxes?

.uk gets launched with minimum fuss and expense
Nominet make more money (prices do naturally go up... ) and they get the .uk they so dearly want
More choice for everyone
No winners or losers... and no legal battles
No stress on rebranding for businesses

Nominet look good and come out of it smelling of roses... and making more money for the 'cause'
Domainers might stop arguing about the fiasco...

Are my glasses rose tinted?... Am I missing something?

.uk solution:

Nominet make more money (prices do naturally go up... ) and they get the .uk they so dearly want
More choice for everyone

Nominet look good and come out of it smelling of roses... and making more money for the 'cause'

You'll have removed the issue over the .uk disputes... but you'll just have shifted the exact same disputes onto your new .gb domain. You won't actually have solved anything, but you will have cunningly disguised the root problem. Have you ever considered a career in politics?

Your solution unfortunately assumes that the only groups that Nominet has to placate are businesses and domainers.

When you read the response to V1, the V2 consultation AND the background docs, it's very clear that they're having to work on a much more complicated balancing act than that.

A) They also have to address the needs of individuals, charities, non-profits, government entities, registrars, IP lawyers and other IP industry constituents, TM holders, educational establishments and many other groups (representatives from all of these different interest groups responded to V1)

B) The interests of different groups in A) are often diametrically opposed i.e. what's good for group X is automatically bad for Y, and vice-versa.

That's why the V2 revision involves a certain number of compromises - but they're compromises that distribute the "exceptions" across the board, and can therefore be seen as "fair" or "fair(ish)" by ALL the above groups. In other words, there isn't a single group that gets things "all their own way" while other groups are completely marginalised.

Any competing proposal to V2 needs to take a similarly broad-stroked approach, and ensure that the concerns of all the above constituents are addressed in a meaningful manner.

You'll have removed the issue over the .uk disputes... but you'll just have shifted the exact same disputes onto your new .gb domain. You won't actually have solved anything, but you will have cunningly disguised the root problem. Have you ever considered a career in politics?

I don't think .gb could be argued as confusingly similar though. It won't happen because it cuts Northern Ireland out of the space as it isn't in GB. So would be very political in the real world.

I don't think .gb could be argued as confusingly similar though. It won't happen because it cuts Northern Ireland out of the space as it isn't in GB. So would be very political in the real world.

Perhaps not confusingly similar, and the NI thing probably rules it out anyway. But even if you use a random new .whatever its still going to have the exact same issue as to who gets what.

Another Media post on.uk

When IT Meets Politics

http://www.computerweekly.com/blogs/when-it-meets-politics/2013/07/whats-in-an-electronic-name-fr.html

Nominet has just announced a new consultation on its attempts to secure support for "putting the UK back into .UK" and ensuring that those using .uk names for transactions are compliant with the e-commerce directive (i.e there is a physical address which can be contacted in the event of problems). I strongly recommend you read the Nominet press release (below). The first round of briefing sessions begins next week but the deadline for response is no until September 23rd. I have therefore suggested to Nominet that it works with the Digital Policy Alliance and groups like Vendorcom and the British Retail Consortium to organise a second, more widely publicised round of events in early September for those who want their customers to have the confidence to transact with them on-line in the knowledge they they will have redress in the UK, under UK law, in event of problems. ........

Last edited:
.uk solution:

More choice for everyone

This solution is not possible at the moment, how could they go about this when my corresponding .uk domain (food) is supposedly being given to a government department.

Media - ComputerWorldUk - IT Managers

Nominet scales back security features as new .uk domain consultation launched

http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/it-business/3455987/nominet-scales-back-security-features-as-new-uk-domain-consultation-launched/

By Matthew Finnegan

Published as per press release.

No real comment, I can see, except below as highlighted.

No disadvantages or problems or questions posed about the intended .uk launch added.

Nominet has renewed its efforts to introduce the .uk domain following a wave of criticism in a public consultation.

The non-profit company which governs the UK internet infrastructure has opened a new consultation on the introduction of a .uk second level domain,
offering website owners the opportunity to replace their existing third level domains, such as .co.uk, .org.uk and .me.uk.

A quick question and sorry if this has been asked / answered before. If there is a .co.uk domain registered to someone outside of the UK, will they still be giving first priority on the .uk equivalent (obviously assuming they have oldest current regged)? I guess they'll be offered the .uk, but they'll need to register it to a UK address?

A quick question and sorry if this has been asked / answered before. If there is a .co.uk domain registered to someone outside of the UK, will they still be giving first priority on the .uk equivalent (obviously assuming they have oldest current regged)? I guess they'll be offered the .uk, but they'll need to register it to a UK address?

Yes, as well as their usual overseas postal address, it's proposed that overseas registrants would also have to provide Nominet with an "address for service", this is apparently in order to be able to accept legal related mail at the UK address.

Thanks Systreg. Another potentially daft question but one I'm still not sure of... will the offer of a .uk work it's way down the current regged chain before it becomes FTR? For example, the oldest reg doesn't take it (they get 6 months, right?), does it then get offered to the next oldest (if so, how long do they get?), and so on until no one wants it, and it's FTR. Or does it get offered to oldest regged, if they don't want it goes FTR and all hell breaks loose?

Thanks Systreg. Another potentially daft question but one I'm still not sure of... will the offer of a .uk work it's way down the current regged chain before it becomes FTR? For example, the oldest reg doesn't take it (they get 6 months, right?), does it then get offered to the next oldest (if so, how long do they get?), and so on until no one wants it, and it's FTR. Or does it get offered to oldest regged, if they don't want it goes FTR and all hell breaks loose?

It will work its way down the chain (though I believe the exact mechanism has yet to be announced). Probably within the 6 month "window" to express an interest.

Having a 6 month window for the oldest registrant to apply for a domain is pretty ridiculous, if it goes ahead in that form.

That would only serve to make things stagnate, nobody else can register the domain and has to wait for up to 6 months for the oldest registrant to show an interest in it, they may or may not even want it, what a waste of time if you want to develop a domain but have to wait that long, bloody stupid.

Last edited:
Thanks chaps, much appreciated. I do agree with you Systreg, 6 months seems a ridiculously overlong time. 6 weeks maybe! I'm hoping they'll structure the 6 months to include any working down the chain, otherwise it could take an age to get to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th in line before FTR. So, 6 months from first offer to FTR seems logical I guess.

Having a 6 month window for the oldest registrant to apply for a domain is pretty ridiculous, if it goes ahead in that form.

That would only serve to make things stagnate, nobody else can register the domain and has to wait for up to 6 months for the oldest registrant to show an interest in it, they may or may not even want it, what a waste of time if you want to develop a domain but have to wait that long, bloody stupid.

I think its better than the alternative - look at how many complaints there are going to be if you do a < 1 month period and people lose out as they're on holiday etc.

It will work its way down the chain (though I believe the exact mechanism has yet to be announced). Probably within the 6 month "window" to express an interest.

I did look to see if the allocation process "worked down the chain" but didn't spot anything. So it's not going to be oldest reg has first claim and if that's not taken up it's FTR?

I did look to see if the allocation process "worked down the chain" but didn't spot anything. So it's not going to be oldest reg has first claim and if that's not taken up it's FTR?

It'll be in the detail of the final proposal but, yes, there seems to be a bit of confusion around this point, maybe give Nom a call? Or fill in the consultation to put your views on record?

The wording of it seems clear enough - its only going to go to someone else if none of the other extension owners want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Auctions Ending - Flip.uk

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom