Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nominet confirm price rise

Reaction score
Emiail received from Nominet
Change to .UK domain wholesale prices

Following the annual review of pricing by the Board last week, the wholesale cost for a .UK domain registration or renewal will change to £3.90 per year from 13 January 2020.

The 15p per domain increase reflects some of the increased costs of running the registry business since prices last changed in 2016.

We have absorbed the majority of the increased costs, but decided after careful consideration that a 4% increase in the wholesale price was appropriate.

As a world-class registry, we are committed to meeting our obligations as part of critical national infrastructure, developing the resilience and reliability of our systems, delivering world-class customer service, and increasing the promotion and visibility of .UK domains. We believe these investments are important and benefit all stakeholders.

We appreciate that price rises are never popular, but even after this modest rise, .UK domains remain extremely competitively priced in the market and accessible to all.

We will be reviewing credit limits to ensure registrars are able to operate as usual in January.

Prices will take effect from 00:00 UTC on 13 January 2020.

Ridiculous. I had an interesting exchange with them about this and their governance last week. Do you know what they said...i'm paraphrasing, but, they report to nobody and are not accountable or governed by any organisation directly. It shows...the greedy f**&ers.

This is the trouble when they keep raising their bonuses quicker than people actually buy the domains. Too many snouts in the trough. They don't even try to hide their corruption anymore - they are 'untouchable'. You can see their disdain by the fact they didn't throw a stupid NED in here to tell us rubbish.

Ridiculous. I had an interesting exchange with them about this and their governance last week. Do you know what they said...i'm paraphrasing, but, they report to nobody and are not accountable or governed by any organisation directly. It shows...the greedy f**&ers.

I'd be interested to hear what these increased costs are of running the registry! As you say, totally ridiculous

On a year by year basis that's just below the rate of inflation ... I was fearing worse to be honest. 1.3% a year. It still adds up in bulk, and leaves questions about whether registrants are subsidizing expansion in other fields. 15p a year means a hit of £150 extra for 1000 domains. Well, a bit of extra VAT as well.

wonder how much of this goes to fund ngtld operations like .vodka and .horse ??

15p extra is less than I was imagining, when the email came through and I read the subject line. Problem is, they really don't need to increase the wholesale cost of domains it's simply a matter of want. They see some easy growth and go for it. if 1 million domains are registered across the next year think of how much that 15p will make them!

But if we look at the stats year-on-year, we can see that Nominet aren't performing as well this year (with Domains at least) as they were last year. Chasing turnover?

Thanks for the link to that article. Then by a couple of link leaps I came across reference to a £2 offer for .uks which I didn't know about. Is that offer still in operation? I'm assuming this is an old offer that's not available any longer. ???

Thanks for the link to that article. Then by a couple of link leaps I came across reference to a £2 offer for .uks which I didn't know about. Is that offer still in operation? I'm assuming this is an old offer that's not available any longer. ???

If you are a Member click on Promotions in the control panel and sign up

IMO one of the reasons for a price rise is to pay for these promotions and co-marketing of larger registrars.

I have also made a little site: www.15p.co.uk

Last edited:
interested to hear of £2 .uk renewal promotions. Is that because registrars like 123reg have a ton of .uk renewals due and enables them to make even more profit on each one renewed?

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Auctions Ending - Flip.uk

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom