20i Domains

Online Business Bank Accounts

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Adam H, Jul 17, 2020.

1. JMI

JMI Active Member Acorn Supporter

Just pop into a branch you'll be fine.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas Well-Known Member

I know this is sarcasm, but you're living in the past with that mindset. Who has time these days to "pop" into anywhere. Especially if you're running a business. If you're complacent enough to lose access details to your banking app in the first place, then you need to consider winding up your company, lol. Secondly, there's more than enough ways to get back into your account usually. Whether it be via telephone, or the app. You just use security details like any other bank. If you lose access to your app with Natwest, you have to wait up to 10 days for them to send you out several bits of paper, scattered across different delivery days. How convenient!

4. Trauiner United Kingdom

Trauiner Active Member

HSBC is the worse for that type thing.

Recently got a new business bank account with them as they were one of the only banks that would give an account for the specific industry I've just entered.

Had around 8-10 different things come in the post, all on different days. I was baffled. Appreciate the point of the card and pin coming on different days but the others made no sense.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Ben Thomas

Yes, quite. "Sign up for internet banking" ... sounds good to me.

*signs up*

"You will now receive 5 pieces of information separately, spread across different dimensions. 4 of those will be single digits for your online passcode. The other is an encrypted ark, with a clue written in hieroglyphics. You need all these pieces of information and an Alpaca to logon to your banking."

"Don't forget this. If you lose any of this information, you will have to contact Doctor Who and ask for a rerun."

6. dazc United Kingdom

dazc Active Member

You should try that before depositing anything over pocket change into one of these accounts.

7. Ben Thomas

I’m not sure I understand. I’ve never had issues with logging in to my banking apps. Aside from Natwest.

8. geniejjc United Kingdom

geniejjc Active Member

Only ever had real issues with Lloyds online.

Well and in branch as well - was once told when I asked to see a small business manager that I would have to "wait til next quarter." Not a time measurement I deal in.

If you want a high street name and a bit of hand holding I use Santander as they still have branch level business bods and also Starling for speed of opening and usability.

I work with new and restart businesses and these two are pretty much the only banks I recommend now.

9. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Just to note, we have physical bank accounts with the normal high street banks for personal and businesses uses with Barclays, Halifax and Lloyds and have done for 30 years, that won't be changing as we've never had any problems with any of them. Funds will be moved to and from those accounts to minimise risk while I test waters with Starling for this particular brand, but i dont expect there to be any problems and we certainly won't be putting all egg's in one basket so to speak.

Starling looks good, just wanted to try something that was quick and easy to setup, which could then be linked quickly to new paypal and marchant accounts to get things opperational as fast as possible. If there are any hiccups, it won't be the end of the world so its a calculated risk im prepared to take to give Starling a chance.

Thanks for all the replies, lets try and keep this factual instead of opinions based on personal grievances with modern/future banking platforms.

10. dazc United Kingdom

dazc Active Member

I have experience of being locked out of an app based account. I understand not everyone wants to hear that, but it's fair to point this out. If it's taken a personal grievance I apologise for that. I hope you have a happy experience and, in all likelihood, you will.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dazc United Kingdom

dazc Active Member

I wouldn't lose sleep over being locked out of a Natwest app.

12. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

No more than happy to listen to experiences people have had, it's good to know the ups and downs. Just want to limit opinions to real expereinces rather than those which are just against them for the sake of being against them :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. JMI

JMI Active Member Acorn Supporter

But what about the old and vulnerable who don't/can't go online and need support of a real human being not a labotomised chat bot.. it's utopic ideals I know but aren't we destroying society we've built over hundreds of years - killing social interactions which is the very fabric of what it means to be a human by supporting things like online banking.

14. Ben Thomas

Society is doomed anyway.

15. webber

webber Active Member

Monzo Business is great.
    Also tried Tide and is utter crap.
    Haven't tried Starling.