Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Perfect working dream?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Just got thinking whilst away on my jolly holidays (Mrs at home) about working abroad in the sun, sat pool side, drinking beer and basically living the ideal job with a laptop controlling your empire or a few dozen mini sites 1000's of miles away from the cold wet mess the UK is at the moment.

Who has a business totally internet based with no face to face clients and can or do live in warmer countries?

I'm sure a few affiliate marketing gurus have nailed it so they could and know of a few not far off it. So all do-able!

Nice one to aim for and I'm sure wouldn't take much if you don't plan to party hard every night whilst out in the sun.

June in the UK and is at the moment where I'm from cloudy, cold, wet, windy and not summertime weather.

Nice view from my balcony at ANFI beach club :D
photo.jpg

If your business is entirely web-based, then it should either already be or can be made "portable" with a bit of effort. It may take redirected phone numbers, PO Boxes etc. to keep a "consistent" public face even as you travel around, but it's certainly doable.

Who has a business totally internet based with no face to face clients and can or do live in warmer countries?

I do, but I'm here for the benefit of my daughter. Workwise all my customers are in the UK, and sometimes I do have to fly back for meetings in order to get professional web development jobs.

Its not all sun and sangria though (or Ouzo in my case). Once the sunshine wears off the realities of living here become apparent. Don't get me wrong, I do like it, my daughter likes it, and now the UK seems expensive and full of hassle. Most times I go back I'm quite keen to get out of there again. I could definitely not live in my native Highlands for the same costs as I could live here for, its just too expensive at home now.

I'm sure living in a warmer climate away from friends, family and the Great British way of life would bring you back at some point a few times.

Ideally then, it would be a bit of a globetrotting arrangement. ;)

Thats right, for me its about 200 Euros return to the UK from here on Rhodes, so its not a big deal to go back. As I say, I do go back for meetings sometimes, and sometimes to visit my old auntie or friends. I'd say I go back about 4 or 5 times a year normally.

Its easy to be honest, it takes me the same length of time to get from the northern highlands to Glasgow as it takes to get from Glasgow to Rhodes.

It all sounds nice but then Google decide to update their algorithm and your income disappears and it's back to....

grim_life_in_the_overpopulated_chinese_city_640_01.jpg

Buy a round the world ticket and run your online business from anywhere in the world, even remote tribes seem to have phones these days.

And who needs Google, you all seem to live your lives based on SEO around here, I have said it before and will say it again, businesses have been making a profit for a long time by using paid for marketing and always will.

In my case I would never depend on Google for income, that really would be too risky for me.

In my case I would never depend on Google for income, that really would be too risky for me.

Good to see someone with common sense, seems to be too many people on here who do rely on it.

They treat it like a marriage, they expect that person to stay with them for ever, but like a wife if Google gets bored of you it will drop your site and like most ex wifes' it will move a new one in asap.

nb* incase any wonders I wasn't referring to a personal experience regarding the wife comment, never been married and never will :D

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...............

Well since i have met my very own Svetlana Olesia and you wont believe her mum is actually called Svetlana

check out on my face book steve patterson she is to die for , plus is as nice on the inside :) or is it my rose tinted glasses :)

i too am thinking how to be portable , this period business wise has not been great , but i see light at the end of the tunnel

the difficult of being away can be contact face to face with like minded people you can bounce off , or it can make you one determined mo fo

ANY ONE KNOW OF A REAL TOP HOTEL TO STAY AT IN TURKEY ??? Belek Antalya or suggestions

Travel is always a good thing :)

Last edited:
I've been pondering this for some time. It's the weather that gets me down here. Recon I suffer SAD!!

For some inspiration for any damp-dwellers back home, just before the tourist season (at easter), myself, my wife and daughter went down to Lindos here on Rhodes for a day run. I went to a small outdoor pub I know with free wi-fi, took my laptop and continued to work. The view I had that afternoon from our pub table is posted below.

I also meant to say if any AD members are ever considering a trip to Rhodes, I'm happy to help with low cost accommodation. Many tourists go to the big (and expensive) all inclusive hotels, whereas right now you can stay here for two weeks in a small friendly family run hotel for as little as 200 Euros. I know quite a few of these hoteliers if its any help to anyone.

Last edited:
that view is picture perfect :eek:

I have to get out soon, just raising cash

really interested to hear from as many expats oin acorn as poss about experiences and realities etc
and where in the world they are

I love greece have been to ixia, rhodes town and faliraki on rhodes but would have to be cyprus for me if i ever moved to the med.

p.s. I don't rely on google I have a proper job :) just saw how many people were affected by the last update.

I love greece have been to ixia, rhodes town and faliraki on rhodes but would have to be cyprus for me if i ever moved to the med.

I did consider Cyprus, but its far more expensive than Rhodes and (for me) way too British. The last thing we wanted was the dreaded "England in the sun", so here its great because we are totally integrated with the local Greek culture but we do also know quite a few other Brits who live around the island, so its the best of both worlds.

If you know Ixia, I'm about 6 miles west of there, in Pastida.

Aegean, how have property prices moved in Greece this past couple of years? Is there a Greek version of rightmove.com?

The only thing with an online business is when do you ever switch off from it? I've had countless rows over the years with spouses about AD - why do I do it and spend so much time for little ££ etc.

If my sole income was online I'd probably be even worse. I guess if you have the warm weather and can get out more then that's the answer.

If you run a UK site but live abroad are you exempt from UK taxes?

Admin

Well thats interesting, because there has never been a better time to buy a property here (at least if you are going to live here or use it yourself). Basically there are two rates - the prices they sell houses to British tourists at, and the real prices.

The big thing right now is the auctions. Two months ago a chap I know here got a 4 bedroom villa which was previously valued at 280,000 Euros for 118,000 Euros. You have to have the money to buy though, and pay within one week.

I have used my entire life savings on medical bills for my daughter, but if I still had money now I could literally make a fortune. One of my Greek friends here owns a construction company, there are many houses, apartment buildings and even small hotels that are almost finished ready to be snapped up.

Here is a link to the biggest estate agent on Rhodes, but beware, these are full belt tourist prices, not what I regard as "real" prices. Hope you like his website by the way! ;)

http://www.savvaidis.com/

I used to go to Protaras in cyprus so not as british as Paphos or protaras but haven't been for about 6 years, it was all getting a bit Russian the last I heard.
I used to like going into rhodes town of an evening, very nice setting.
Has the Euro had much of an affect on tourist prices? i.e. has beer/meals gone up, down, the same?

My ideal job would be to own a beach bar in cyprus, 9 to five ish.

If you run a UK site but live abroad are you exempt from UK taxes?

Im my case all my work comes from the UK and goes through my RBS account in the UK, so I have to pay UK business taxes. Thats fine though, because they're cheaper than the Greek business taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom