Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Pitching a fundraising name to a charity…

m4c

Reaction score
Ideas / experiences appreciated on selling a name to a large charity…

My 80yr old mother is about due to ‘retire’ from her charity work in Uganda after 15yrs building a 500 kid school etc.

I regged / bought SponsorAchild co uk for her years ago - she’s used it a bit, but nothing like on the scale of Oxfam / SaveTheChildren and all of the big Google Advertisers.

If she can sell it one of the big guys, she’d be able to invest it into infrastructure out there, that will have a lasting benefit…

Any ideas on what it could be worth or how to pitch it to one of the big charities?

I’m thinking mid 4 figures…

Should I write to all of the Google advertisers, then if I get any response, try to start a dialogue and tell them I’ll put it to auction in a couple of months, to give them time to pitch it to their boards…

NB: I just checked and note that I never registered the .uk - shame but not a big issue.

I'm not sure why any of the big charities would be interested in buying it either? There would be no reason for them to want to buy it.

Ah - so maybe that's broken one of my primary theories on the value of any EMD...

- there's 6-7 advertisers on the first page of Google paying for the exact search term "sponsor a child"
(also taking into account that Google offers free ad budget for regisgtered charities)

- and Spyfu suggests the top 3 advertisers are spending £10+k plus per month between them, across their entire keyword range...

And (usually around Xmas) some of the charities run UK TV ad campaigns for exactly that keyword string...

Doesn't that translate into having a commercial value?

most charities would use .org.uk not .co.uk:

The .org.uk domain is a recognised domain name extension for charities and non-profit organisations registered in the United Kingdom.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom