Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

question about VAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
This is probably a simple question but I can't wrap my head around it - would appreciate input from people in the know.
I run a company of 12 people including 2 partners and I'm thinking about actually becoming a 'proper' registrar. We are outside UK and vat registered (ie we don't pay vat to nominet on purchases). If someone registers a domain with us will they be liable for vat? I don't want to bring it up at the next meeting and look like a chump for not knowing.

Basically, if you are VAT registered you need to charge VAT on goods and services which you provide (other than those which are exempt). This VAT is then paid to HMRC less any VAT you pay on purchases. You do not need to charge VAT on services sold to non-EU customers.

David

If you are in the EU you need to charge VAT on customers in the EU, if you are outside the EU, then you would charge taxes according to the local tax rules.

Before undertaking anything that you are unsure of I would suggest speaking to your accountant rather than making financial decisions on replies to forum posts!

Thanks for all your replies. Obviously I will speak to the accountant when we have our next meeting - was just working out whether it's worth bringing up :) I'm more technical than financial. Our company is already VAT registered but we're based in Malta (EU). I'll speak to him - thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom