20i Reseller Hosting

Registering .uk - I don't have the right.

Discussion in 'Domain Name Disputes' started by Pirosog, Dec 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pirosog

Pirosog Member

I've read quite a bit on the .uk registration thing, but I still have a couple of questions.

1.I've left with the impression, that Nominet will double-check if the registrant of the .uk domain has the right to do so. Is that so? While daily.co.uk won't let me register .uk without having the .co.uk under my account, I believe I found a couple of registrars that don't seem to actually do it - I added the domain to my basket, and was about to pay for it. That's why I would like to know if Nominet double-checks that.

2.Why I'm asking? .uk domain, which is interesting for me, is yet to be registered. Nominet send letter about the .uk rights to all of the .co.uk/org.uk/me.uk owners, but I don't know why the owner of the .co.uk domain hasn't registered it yet - he paid quite a lot of money for the co.uk version. However, he is not into .co.uks much, and is non-UK citizen, and (prolly) haven't heard of whats happening. There is website under the .co.uk similar to the websites he working on (.coms) - slowly paying off.

3.Thr other domain I'm interested in, is owned by a guy who sadly passed away - the domain is set to expire in 2016. If I register it (the .uk), it will expire (the .co.uk), drop off etc, even when for miliseconds, so not sure if the owners org.uk / me.uk can protest against me registering it.

I'll be happy to hear more opinions.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

Please read through this document and you should find you are much more informed. :) Some Nominet registrars won't allow someone to register the 2LD .uk if the *.uk 3LD with the connected Right isn't managed there despite Nominet not requiring this to be the case.

Nominet didn't send any *letters*, just some emails. People have until 10th June 2019 to register the .uk if they have the Right to it and retain the domain name that has the connected Right until that point. Check who has the right here.

I don't understand your point about (3) but only the 3LD *.uk domain name with the Right can register the matching 2LD .uk. If the *.uk 3LD expires (e.g. example.co.uk) then the registrants of example.org.uk and example.me.uk would *not* then be passed the right to register either example.uk or example.co.uk before those two domain names became available FCFS.

T&Cs relating to death ( see 18 )

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  4. Pirosog

Pirosog Member

Thanks! Gotta take a better look later, since I have to leave for the theater now. Looks like Nominet double-checks if the registrant has the right to register the .uk. And, yeah, i meant *e-mails.*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.